Oracle "Jobs" in PostgreSQL

From
"Unnikrishnan Menon"
Date:
Hi,

I have certain packages and procedures being run as jobs in Oracle. How do i get to run them in PostgreSQL.

Any help would be of great assistance.

Thanx in advance,

Regds,
Unni

Re: Oracle "Jobs" in PostgreSQL

From
"Andrew G. Hammond"
Date:
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 08:37:21PM +0530, Unnikrishnan Menon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have certain packages and procedures being run as jobs in Oracle.
> How do i get to run them in PostgreSQL.

We'd like to help you, but with a question as vague as this, it's
pretty hard.  If you give us more details...

--
Andrew G. Hammond     mailto:drew@xyzzy.dhs.org   http://xyzzy.dhs.org/~drew/
56 2A 54 EF 19 C0 3B 43 72 69 5B E3 69 5B A1 1F                  613-389-5481

Re: Oracle "Jobs" in PostgreSQL

From
Thomas Good
Date:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Andrew G. Hammond wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 08:37:21PM +0530, Unnikrishnan Menon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have certain packages and procedures being run as jobs in Oracle.
> > How do i get to run them in PostgreSQL.
>
> We'd like to help you, but with a question as vague as this, it's
> pretty hard.  If you give us more details...

I found the following doc pretty useful:
http://openacs.org/doc/openacs/html/oracle-to-pg-porting.html
It covers things like SYSDATE to current_date, NVL, Sequences...etc.

Good luck!

Thomas Good                                         tomg@admin.nrnet.org
Programmer/Analyst                                  thomas@sqlclinic.net
Residential Services, Behavioral Health Services
Saint Vincent Catholic Medical Centers
--
SQL Clinic - An Open Source Clinical Record            www.sqlclinic.net

Re: Oracle "Jobs" in PostgreSQL

From
"Unnikrishnan Menon"
Date:
Hi Andrew,

Iam sorry for being vague. The fact is that i would like to port a few jobs
created in Oracle to PostgreSQL. These jobs are executed in a time-based
manner.
I do not find any option in PostgreSQL which matches the jobs functionality
of Oracle. The Oracle-to-PG documentation also does not mention anything on
porting of jobs. I'am running a couple of procedures within packages as jobs
in Oracle.
could help guide me into porting the same into Postgres.

Thanx in advance
Unni

Re: Oracle "Jobs" in PostgreSQL

From
David Stanaway
Date:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 03:09  PM, Unnikrishnan Menon wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Iam sorry for being vague. The fact is that i would like to port a few
> jobs
> created in Oracle to PostgreSQL. These jobs are executed in a time-based
> manner.
> I do not find any option in PostgreSQL which matches the jobs
> functionality
> of Oracle. The Oracle-to-PG documentation also does not mention
> anything on
> porting of jobs. I'am running a couple of procedures within packages as
> jobs
> in Oracle.
> could help guide me into porting the same into Postgres.

You may need to trigger these jobs externally with the host systems
services.
EG: cron or at on Unix
or: at on NT

You can execute scripts with psql

You may like to have a look at the cron tasks installed by the
postgresql package (At least on Debian)

/etc/cron.d/postgresql
0 4 * * * postgres      [ -x /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance ] &&
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance -a

==============================
David Stanaway
Personal: david@stanaway.net
Work: david@netventures.com.au