Re: Oracle "Jobs" in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Stanaway
Subject Re: Oracle "Jobs" in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 03:09  PM, Unnikrishnan Menon wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Iam sorry for being vague. The fact is that i would like to port a few
> jobs
> created in Oracle to PostgreSQL. These jobs are executed in a time-based
> manner.
> I do not find any option in PostgreSQL which matches the jobs
> functionality
> of Oracle. The Oracle-to-PG documentation also does not mention
> anything on
> porting of jobs. I'am running a couple of procedures within packages as
> jobs
> in Oracle.
> could help guide me into porting the same into Postgres.

You may need to trigger these jobs externally with the host systems
services.
EG: cron or at on Unix
or: at on NT

You can execute scripts with psql

You may like to have a look at the cron tasks installed by the
postgresql package (At least on Debian)

/etc/cron.d/postgresql
0 4 * * * postgres      [ -x /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance ] &&
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance -a

David Stanaway
Personal: david@stanaway.net
Work: david@netventures.com.au