Beginner's List

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Folks,

A new PostgreSQL user pointed out to me that there is nobody currently
on the pgsql-beginner list with any depth of experience.  As a result,
most posts there go answered with an "Uh ... I dunno either." or even
misinformation.

To help remedy this, I would like to take 1 beginner question per day.
But I can't figure out how to do this without subscribing to
pgsql-beginner and suffering a deluge of 100's of e-mails.  Can anyone
suggest something?

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: Beginner's List

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Josh Berkus wrote:

> A new PostgreSQL user pointed out to me that there is nobody currently
> on the pgsql-beginner list with any depth of experience.  As a result,
> most posts there go answered with an "Uh ... I dunno either." or even
> misinformation.
>
> To help remedy this, I would like to take 1 beginner question per day.
> But I can't figure out how to do this without subscribing to
> pgsql-beginner and suffering a deluge of 100's of e-mails.  Can anyone
> suggest something?

If you don't mind the delay you could try the mailing list archives on the
website I guess (they're a little annoying to use for responding, but...)

Re: Beginner's List

Date:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> A new PostgreSQL user pointed out to me that there is nobody currently
> on the pgsql-beginner list with any depth of experience.

You mean pgsql-novice, no?  There are a number of hackers answering
questions pretty regularly on that list...

> To help remedy this, I would like to take 1 beginner question per day.
> But I can't figure out how to do this without subscribing to
> pgsql-beginner and suffering a deluge of 100's of e-mails.

If you read pghackers, pggeneral, etc, then the extra traffic for
pgsql-novice is pretty tiny.  I see 12 postings so far this month.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Beginner's List

From
Keith Gray
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> To help remedy this, ...
> Can anyone suggest something?

Could we set-up a forum with a product like Request Tracker
where a group of experienced users could take questions
from a web-based queue?

--
Keith Gray

Technical Development Manager