Selecting Current value from a sequence

From
Najm Hashmi
Date:
Hi all,It is a very simple but I am not able to recall  how to do it.... I
just need to find out the  current value of a seq. It is very simple
select statement but I can't recall it... Help me please before I get
myself get fired -:).
Regards, Najm

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Najm
CURRVAL('sequence_name')
For this and other sequence and serial functions, please see the online
version of Bruce's book.
BTW, O'Reilly's "SQL in at Nutshell" also catalogs all PGSQL functions
from ver. 6.5.
                -Josh Berkus
--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166  for law firms, small

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

From
George Moga
Date:
Najm Hashmi wrote:

> Hi all,
>  It is a very simple but I am not able to recall  how to do it.... I
> just need to find out the  current value of a seq. It is very simple
> select statement but I can't recall it... Help me please before I get
> myself get fired -:).

Try:

SELECT last_value FROM sequence_name;

> Regards, Najm

For me works (PostgreSQL 7.0.3, Mandrake Linux 7.2).

George Moga,   Data Systems Srl   Slobozia, ROMANIA

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

Date:
> Najm
>
>     CURRVAL('sequence_name')
>
>     For this and other sequence and serial functions, please see the online
> version of Bruce's book.
>
>     BTW, O'Reilly's "SQL in at Nutshell" also catalogs all PGSQL functions
> from ver. 6.5.

It does, or only the standard SQL functions?  Do they have
PostgreSQL-specific stuff.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

From
clayton cottingham
Date:
Najm Hashmi wrote:

> Hi all,
>  It is a very simple but I am not able to recall  how to do it.... I
> just need to find out the  current value of a seq. It is very simple
> select statement but I can't recall it... Help me please before I get
> myself get fired -:).
> Regards, Najm

select nextval('nameofseq');

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

Date:
See my book on sequences:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html

currval() is probably what you need.

> Hi all,
>  It is a very simple but I am not able to recall  how to do it.... I
> just need to find out the  current value of a seq. It is very simple
> select statement but I can't recall it... Help me please before I get
> myself get fired -:).
> Regards, Najm

Pennsylvania19026

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

From
Najm Hashmi
Date:
Thank you all for  your help.
Najm

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Clayton,

> > Hi all,
> >  It is a very simple but I am not able to recall  how to do it.... I
> > just need to find out the  current value of a seq. It is very simple
> > select statement but I can't recall it... Help me please before I get
> > myself get fired -:).
> > Regards, Najm
>
> select nextval('nameofseq');

Sorry, no.  You want SELECT CURRVAL('sequence_name').  NEXTVAL select
the NEXT value, and increments the sequence in the process.

-Josh Berkus

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology      josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166  for law firms, small
businesses      fax  436-0137   and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078                               San
Francisco

Re: Selecting Current value from a sequence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Bruce,

> >       BTW, O'Reilly's "SQL in at Nutshell" also catalogs all PGSQL functions
> > from ver. 6.5.
>
> It does, or only the standard SQL functions?  Do they have
> PostgreSQL-specific stuff.

Both.  The book is set up to cover 1) the SQL99 standard, and 2)
Specific variants for SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and PostgreSQL.

Unfortunately, the book was somewhat delayed in publication ( + 4 months
past list) so that it is a little out of date.  Pgsql 6.5 is covered
without any notation on what will change/be added in 7.x.  Still, since
I don't even *have* your book yet, it's better than nothing! :-)
                -Josh Berkus