Changing user passwords

From
Rob van der Leek
Date:
Hello,

Is it possible to change a user's password without using the pg_passwd
command?
For example, how does a user changes his password from the interactive
monitor?
In case you were wondering, I'm scripting an interface to a pg database
using
Perl/DBI and the "administrator" web user should be able to change the
default
password.

I'm a pg/SQL novice, yet I'm always willing to learn new things,
references to
documentation will be appreciated as much as solutions.

Apologies in advance for my ignorance.
--
Rob van der Leek
E-mail: rob@frog.nl

Re: Changing user passwords

From
"Nagy Laszlo Zsolt , KLTE TTK pm1"
Date:
> Is it possible to change a user's password without using the pg_passwd
> command?
> For example, how does a user changes his password from the interactive
> monitor?

See the following commands:

CREATE USER
ALTER USER
CREATE GROUP
ALTER GROUP

For example:

ALTER USER user1 WITH PASSWORD 'password1';

Please note thatuser passwords cannot be changed in a transaction. ( 7.0.2
)
Laci 1.0

Re: Changing user passwords

From
Rob van der Leek
Date:
A question about the ALTER USER command I couldn't find in the
standard documentation:

- How do I assign an 'undefined' password?

ALTER USER nobody WITH PASSWORD "";

works, but doesn't assign an undefined password to nobody (like the
`pg_passwd nobody` command would do).

DROP USER nobody; CREATE USER nobody;

doesn't do the job either.

And why does the ALTER USER command operates on pg_shadow instead of
pg_passwd? (or is this configurable?)

rob.

-

--
Rob van der Leek
E-mail: rob@frog.nl

Re: Changing user passwords

From
Bernie Huang
Date:
Rob van der Leek wrote:

> A question about the ALTER USER command I couldn't find in the
> standard documentation:
>
> - How do I assign an 'undefined' password?
>
> ALTER USER nobody WITH PASSWORD "";
>
> works, but doesn't assign an undefined password to nobody (like the
> `pg_passwd nobody` command would do).
>
> DROP USER nobody; CREATE USER nobody;
>
> doesn't do the job either.

There is no space between:

eg; createuser whoever; dropuser whoever;

- Bernie

Attachment