using OID as primary key

From
Markus Wagner
Date:
Hi,

are there any disadvantages of using OID as the primary key for any
table?
What about referencing external tuples using their OIDs?

e. g.:
CREATE TABLE thistable
field NUMERIC REFERENCES OtherTable (oid)

Which data type should I use to reference OIDs?

Will I run into problems later if I do my things this way?

Thanks,

Markus

Re: using OID as primary key

From
JanWieck@t-online.de (Jan Wieck)
Date:
Markus Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any disadvantages of using OID as the primary key for any
> table?
> What about referencing external tuples using their OIDs?
>
> e. g.:
> CREATE TABLE thistable
> field NUMERIC REFERENCES OtherTable (oid)
>
> Which data type should I use to reference OIDs?
>
> Will I run into problems later if I do my things this way?
   Currently OID is not supported for references. Has to do with   some checks done in the RI  triggers,  using  SPI
functions.  We're thinking about a solution...

Jan

Re: using OID as primary key

From
darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Date:
Thus spake Jan Wieck
> > are there any disadvantages of using OID as the primary key for any
> > table?
> > What about referencing external tuples using their OIDs?
>
>     Currently OID is not supported for references. Has to do with
>     some checks done in the RI  triggers,  using  SPI  functions.
>     We're thinking about a solution...

Also, don't forget about the dump/restore issue.  You have to remember
to dump OIDs with "-o" or else all your references will be trashed.

<OPINION>
Personally I would avoid it.  Adding a serial type almost gives you
the same thing anyway.  OIDs are useful in system tables and temporarily
in programs when dealing with tables without primary keys.
</OPINION>