Re: using OID as primary key - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From darcy@druid.net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain)
Subject Re: using OID as primary key
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thus spake Jan Wieck
> > are there any disadvantages of using OID as the primary key for any
> > table?
> > What about referencing external tuples using their OIDs?
>
>     Currently OID is not supported for references. Has to do with
>     some checks done in the RI  triggers,  using  SPI  functions.
>     We're thinking about a solution...

Also, don't forget about the dump/restore issue.  You have to remember
to dump OIDs with "-o" or else all your references will be trashed.

<OPINION>
Personally I would avoid it.  Adding a serial type almost gives you
the same thing anyway.  OIDs are useful in system tables and temporarily
in programs when dealing with tables without primary keys.
</OPINION>