possible bug?

From
Clayton Cottingham
Date:
can anyone confirm this?

create index idx on table using btree(column  );
cluster idx on table;
drop index idx;

seems to drop all permissions and indexes
on the table involved

ive tested in 6.5 and 6.5.2

Re: [SQL] possible bug?

From
Mathijs Brands
Date:
On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 01:22:06AM +0000, Clayton Cottingham allegedly wrote:
> can anyone confirm this?
>
> create index idx on table using btree(column  );
> cluster idx on table;
> drop index idx;
>
> seems to drop all permissions and indexes
> on the table involved
>
> ive tested in 6.5 and 6.5.2

This is correct. I've had this problem myself. When you check the source,
there is a comment about this, but nothing useful. I myself would
consider this a bug too, but I'm not sure about the developers.

Hmm, another useles email.

Mathijs

Re: [SQL] possible bug?

Date:
Clayton Cottingham <drfrog@smartt.com> writes:
> can anyone confirm this?
> create index idx on table using btree(column  );
> cluster idx on table;
> drop index idx;
> seems to drop all permissions and indexes
> on the table involved

"cluster" deliberately drops all other indexes on the target table,
according to the source code.  (If this isn't mentioned in the
documentation, it should be.)

It looks like the implementation method is to build a whole new
table, destroy the old, and rename the new into place.  That probably
explains why the permissions get lost --- I suppose triggers &etc
are not carried over either, and heaven help you if you try to cluster
a member of an inheritance hierarchy...

I have no idea how hard it'd be to make a less destructive version
of "cluster".  Another item for the TODO list, I guess.
        regards, tom lane

Re: [SQL] possible bug?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
>From the manual for CLUSTER:

"The table is actually copied to a temporary table in index order, then
renamed back to the original name. For this reason, all grant permissions
and other indexes are lost when clustering is performed."

So this is not a bug in the sense that no one knows about it, but it's an
unfortunate side-effect for sure.
-Peter

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Clayton Cottingham wrote:

> can anyone confirm this?
>
> create index idx on table using btree(column  );
> cluster idx on table;
> drop index idx;
>
> seems to drop all permissions and indexes
> on the table involved
>
> ive tested in 6.5 and 6.5.2
>

> ************

Re: [SQL] possible bug?

Date:
> can anyone confirm this?
>
> create index idx on table using btree(column  );
> cluster idx on table;
> drop index idx;
>
> seems to drop all permissions and indexes
> on the table involved

Yes.  See CLUSTER manual page.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [SQL] possible bug?

Date:
> Clayton Cottingham <drfrog@smartt.com> writes:
> > can anyone confirm this?
> > create index idx on table using btree(column  );
> > cluster idx on table;
> > drop index idx;
> > seems to drop all permissions and indexes
> > on the table involved
>
> "cluster" deliberately drops all other indexes on the target table,
> according to the source code.  (If this isn't mentioned in the
> documentation, it should be.)
>
> It looks like the implementation method is to build a whole new
> table, destroy the old, and rename the new into place.  That probably
> explains why the permissions get lost --- I suppose triggers &etc
> are not carried over either, and heaven help you if you try to cluster
> a member of an inheritance hierarchy...
>
> I have no idea how hard it'd be to make a less destructive version
> of "cluster".  Another item for the TODO list, I guess.

Already on TODO list.  Text added to make it clearer.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [SQL] possible bug?

Date:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 01:22:06AM +0000, Clayton Cottingham allegedly wrote:
> > can anyone confirm this?
> >
> > create index idx on table using btree(column  );
> > cluster idx on table;
> > drop index idx;
> >
> > seems to drop all permissions and indexes
> > on the table involved
> >
> > ive tested in 6.5 and 6.5.2
>
> This is correct. I've had this problem myself. When you check the source,
> there is a comment about this, but nothing useful. I myself would
> consider this a bug too, but I'm not sure about the developers.

Man pages says: