Re: [SQL] possible bug? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] possible bug?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Clayton Cottingham <drfrog@smartt.com> writes:
> can anyone confirm this?
> create index idx on table using btree(column  );
> cluster idx on table;
> drop index idx;
> seems to drop all permissions and indexes
> on the table involved

"cluster" deliberately drops all other indexes on the target table,
according to the source code.  (If this isn't mentioned in the
documentation, it should be.)

It looks like the implementation method is to build a whole new
table, destroy the old, and rename the new into place.  That probably
explains why the permissions get lost --- I suppose triggers &etc
are not carried over either, and heaven help you if you try to cluster
a member of an inheritance hierarchy...

I have no idea how hard it'd be to make a less destructive version
of "cluster".  Another item for the TODO list, I guess.
        regards, tom lane