RE: [SQL] Column name's length

From
"Pham, Thinh"
Date:
I modified the sources as mentioned by Zalman Stern. Compiled and installed
with no problem. But when i try to connect to the database "template1" or
try to create another database, it dumped core. Below is the error message:

[postgres@ares pgsql]$ psql template1
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
beforeor

while processing the request.

This is when i try to create the database "postgres"

[postgres@ares pgsql]$ createdb
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.       This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
beforeor

while processing the request.

createdb: database creation failed on postgres.

Anyone know why this happened?
Thinh

Re: [SQL] Column name's length

Date:
"Pham, Thinh" <tpham@mail.priority.net> writes:
> I modified the sources as mentioned by Zalman Stern. Compiled and installed
> with no problem. But when i try to connect to the database "template1" or
> try to create another database, it dumped core. Below is the error message:

You will need to do an initdb --- you are making an incompatible change
in the format of the database.  pg_dump with old code, initdb and reload
with new.

Note that NAMEDATALEN is visible to client applications, which probably
means that libpq, psql, etc, will not interoperate across the two
different settings either.  We're talking rebuild from the ground up here.
        regards, tom lane

RE: [SQL] Column name's length

From
Herbert Ambos
Date:
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Pham, Thinh wrote:

> [postgres@ares pgsql]$ createdb
> Connection to database 'template1' failed.
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
>         This probably means the backend terminated abnormally before or
> while processing the request.
>
> createdb: database creation failed on postgres.
>

> Anyone know why this happened?
> Thinh

this happened to me when i reinstalled my linux box into RHL6.0 and
installing Postgres6.4.2 but i initialized my system to this:
initdb -l <u'r postgres lib files location (/usr/lib/pgsql)> \              -r <data directory (/var/lib/pgsql)>

hope this helps.?

Herbert Ambos
Iligan City, Philippines