need more reviewers for index changes

From
Robert Haas
Date:
Folks,

There has as yet been no review of the latest version of the very
important "Indexam API changes" patch or the also-very-important
"Index-only quals" patch which depends on it.  Volunteers, please?

...Robert

Re: need more reviewers for index changes

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> There has as yet been no review of the latest version of the very
> important "Indexam API changes" patch or the also-very-important
> "Index-only quals" patch which depends on it.  Volunteers, please?

i've sent a new version of the patch to fix the bug for dropped
columns, i've marked it as "needs review"... so now i'm available
until one of the other patches are reviewed...

which one you prefer i start to play with?

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova

Re: need more reviewers for index changes

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:07 AM, Jaime
Casanova<jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Robert Haas<robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> There has as yet been no review of the latest version of the very
>> important "Indexam API changes" patch or the also-very-important
>> "Index-only quals" patch which depends on it.  Volunteers, please?
>>

> i've sent a new version of the patch to fix the bug for dropped
> columns, i've marked it as "needs review"... so now i'm available
> until one of the other patches are reviewed...
>
> which one you prefer i start to play with?

It probably makes sense to start with indexam api changes, since the
other one depends on that one.

...Robert

Re: need more reviewers for index changes

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Robert,

> It probably makes sense to start with indexam api changes, since the
> other one depends on that one.

I've looked the patch over, but the problem is that the patch doesn't do
terribly much by itself, and Tom's already commented on things he
doesn't like about it.  Alot of the patch here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A5ADFE6.6060507@enterprisedb.com
is changing heap_hot_search_buffer to have heapTuple passed in as a
pointer rather than a local var, which makes for many '.' to '->'
changes.  The rest is just splitting index_getnext into two pieces.

To be honest, I'm not convinced I'm qualified to review this patch
anyway, but I was giving it a go.  Of course, it strikes me that this
patch has had a fair bit of feedback from committers already, and
anything I try to add will likely end up being wrong anyway. :)

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment

Date:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Stephen Frost<sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>> It probably makes sense to start with indexam api changes, since the
>> other one depends on that one.
>
> I've looked the patch over, but the problem is that the patch doesn't do
> terribly much by itself, and Tom's already commented on things he
> doesn't like about it.  Alot of the patch here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A5ADFE6.6060507@enterprisedb.com
> is changing heap_hot_search_buffer to have heapTuple passed in as a
> pointer rather than a local var, which makes for many '.' to '->'
> changes.  The rest is just splitting index_getnext into two pieces.

Ah, yes, I see your point.  So I think this is actually waiting on
author.  We should poke Heikki.

...Robert

Re: need more reviewers for index changes

From
Dave Page
Date:
On 7/21/09, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Stephen Frost<sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>> Robert,
>>
>> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>>> It probably makes sense to start with indexam api changes, since the
>>> other one depends on that one.
>>
>> I've looked the patch over, but the problem is that the patch doesn't do
>> terribly much by itself, and Tom's already commented on things he
>> doesn't like about it.  Alot of the patch here:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A5ADFE6.6060507@enterprisedb.com
>> is changing heap_hot_search_buffer to have heapTuple passed in as a
>> pointer rather than a local var, which makes for many '.' to '->'
>> changes.  The rest is just splitting index_getnext into two pieces.
>
> Ah, yes, I see your point.  So I think this is actually waiting on
> author.  We should poke Heikki.

I believe he's on vacation.

--
Dave Page

Date:
Robert,

> Ah, yes, I see your point.  So I think this is actually waiting on
> author.  We should poke Heikki.

Feel free to give me another patch.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment

Date:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Stephen Frost<sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>> Ah, yes, I see your point.  So I think this is actually waiting on
>> author.  We should poke Heikki.
>
> Feel free to give me another patch.

How 'bout lock wait statistics?

...Robert