7.2 RPMs (Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released)

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Lamar Owen writes:

> Pre-release RPMS are available for this release candidate at
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/beta/RPMS

* Still way old JDBC drivers in there.

* You're defining PGLIB in the bash profile.  PGLIB doesn't do anything.

* postgresql.init:

  Why do you need networking for postmaster?

  Using `pidof postmaster` is wrong.  There could be other postmasters
  running just fine.  Should use the lock file, or not care because the
  postmaster or pg_ctl can handle this just fine.

  Might want to implement the "reload" option.

* What happened to the contrib handling patch?

* What is going to happen to NLS?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: 7.2 RPMs (Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released)

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Monday 28 January 2002 07:29 pm, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Lamar Owen writes:
> > Pre-release RPMS are available for this release candidate at
> > ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/beta/RPMS

> * Still way old JDBC drivers in there.

Yes.  I still haven't gotten a good answer as to a good development
environment for the java build.

> * You're defining PGLIB in the bash profile.  PGLIB doesn't do anything.

As of?

> * postgresql.init:

>   Why do you need networking for postmaster?

Legacy.  Shouldn't be an issue now as long as TCP/IP listening isn't on --
but then again, I don't know that, thus I have to make sure networking is up
in case it is.  If there is a clean solution to this, then that would be a
good thing.

>   Using `pidof postmaster` is wrong.  There could be other postmasters
>   running just fine.  Should use the lock file, or not care because the
>   postmaster or pg_ctl can handle this just fine.

In this RPM incarnation there is the assumption that only one postmaster is
running.  This will change once multiple config files are easier.... :-)

>   Might want to implement the "reload" option.

> * What happened to the contrib handling patch?
> * What is going to happen to NLS?

It's going to be integrated, if I can remember to apply the patch you sent.
I would appreciate patches against the current release as opposed to your
personal development spec file.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Date:

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html might be a good place to start.

> > * You're defining PGLIB in the bash profile.  PGLIB doesn't do anything.
>
> As of?

It's been unnecessary since 7.0.  Beginning with 7.2 it's officially
useless.

> >   Using `pidof postmaster` is wrong.  There could be other postmasters
> >   running just fine.  Should use the lock file, or not care because the
> >   postmaster or pg_ctl can handle this just fine.
>
> In this RPM incarnation there is the assumption that only one postmaster is
> running.  This will change once multiple config files are easier.... :-)

But what's really wrong about it is that if the admin shuts down the
"official" postgresql service, he inadvertently kills of all users'
postmasters as well.

> > * What happened to the contrib handling patch?
> > * What is going to happen to NLS?
>
> It's going to be integrated, if I can remember to apply the patch you sent.
> I would appreciate patches against the current release as opposed to your
> personal development spec file.

Got a point there. ;-)  Updated NLS patch attached.  I'll see about
updating the contrib patch soon.  Contrib isn't so important, but it'd be
a shame to ship without NLS.

TIA.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Attachment

Date:
On Tuesday 29 January 2002 12:13 am, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html might be a good place to start.

No, it's not a good place to start.  It is an excellent place to start. :-)
Thanks for the pointer.

> > > * You're defining PGLIB in the bash profile.  PGLIB doesn't do

> It's been unnecessary since 7.0.  Beginning with 7.2 it's officially
> useless.

Ok.

> But what's really wrong about it is that if the admin shuts down the
> "official" postgresql service, he inadvertently kills of all users'
> postmasters as well.

True enough.  I'll see if I can't work around it.

> > > * What happened to the contrib handling patch?
> > > * What is going to happen to NLS?

> > It's going to be integrated, if I can remember to apply the patch you
> > sent. I would appreciate patches against the current release as opposed
> > to your personal development spec file.

> Got a point there. ;-)  Updated NLS patch attached.  I'll see about
> updating the contrib patch soon.  Contrib isn't so important, but it'd be
> a shame to ship without NLS.

Ok, which contrib patch was that?  The only patch I hadn't yet added in was
the NLS stuff.  And thanks for the patch against the current released spec
file -- it helps greatly, as I don't have to do the error-prone hand
applications that way.

I do need to survey the contrib stuff more -- but this prerelease set was
mostly to get the rc2 code out to RPM users quickly.  I still have some
cleanup to do in the packaging, as you noticed. ;-)
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

I wrote:

> * postgresql.init:

>   Might want to implement the "reload" option.

Or I might. ;-)

Attached is a patch that implements "postgresql.init reload" and
"postgresql.init force-reload" as per LSB 1.1.0 Chapter 19[*].

Actually, that chapter makes for some fine reading.  For instance, I quote

"""
Init files must ensure that they will behave sensibly if invoked with
start when the service is already running, or with stop when it isn't, and
that they don't kill unfortunately-named user processes.
"""
;-)

[*] http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.1.0/gLSB/iniscrptact.html

--

Date:
On Tuesday 29 January 2002 01:33 pm, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Attached is a patch that implements "postgresql.init reload" and
> "postgresql.init force-reload" as per LSB 1.1.0 Chapter 19[*].

> Actually, that chapter makes for some fine reading.  For instance, I quote

> """
> Init files must ensure that they will behave sensibly if invoked with
> start when the service is already running, or with stop when it isn't, and
> that they don't kill unfortunately-named user processes.
> """
> ;-)

You enjoyed that, didn't you? :-)
--