Re: 7.2 RPMs (Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released) - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: 7.2 RPMs (Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL v7.2rc2 Released)
Date
List pgsql-ports

http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html might be a good place to start.

> > * You're defining PGLIB in the bash profile.  PGLIB doesn't do anything.
>
> As of?

It's been unnecessary since 7.0.  Beginning with 7.2 it's officially
useless.

> >   Using `pidof postmaster` is wrong.  There could be other postmasters
> >   running just fine.  Should use the lock file, or not care because the
> >   postmaster or pg_ctl can handle this just fine.
>
> In this RPM incarnation there is the assumption that only one postmaster is
> running.  This will change once multiple config files are easier.... :-)

But what's really wrong about it is that if the admin shuts down the
"official" postgresql service, he inadvertently kills of all users'
postmasters as well.

> > * What happened to the contrib handling patch?
> > * What is going to happen to NLS?
>
> It's going to be integrated, if I can remember to apply the patch you sent.
> I would appreciate patches against the current release as opposed to your
> personal development spec file.

Got a point there. ;-)  Updated NLS patch attached.  I'll see about
updating the contrib patch soon.  Contrib isn't so important, but it'd be
a shame to ship without NLS.

TIA.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net