Getting postgres 90 plperl running on Amazon Linux

From
Adam Plumb
Date:
Hey guys, I'm working on getting plperl running on Amazon Linux (Perl 5.16.3) and I'm using the postgres 9.0 yum repo you're providing, and am having trouble running 'createlang plperl'.  The repo I'm using is http://yum.postgresql.org/9.0/redhat/rhel-6.5-x86_64/.

Here is the error I'm getting:

createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/pgsql-9.0/lib/plperl.so": /usr/pgsql-9.0/lib/plperl.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Iincgv_ptr

FYI the reason why I'm doing this is to live migrate/upgrade a large production db instance from 9.0 to 9.4 and I'm attempting to use bucardo to do so.  Under Amazon I can't get bucardo to install from your repo because it requires the perl(DBIx::Safe) package, which is not available on Amazon's repo.

My current goal is to try to build bucardo from source (version 5.x), but I can't seem to get plperl to install (see above error), which precludes me from running bucardo.

Any thoughts on my plperl error?  What version of perl are you guys building against?

Thanks!
Adam Plumb

Re: Getting postgres 90 plperl running on Amazon Linux

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 14:49 -0500, Adam Plumb wrote:
> Hey guys, I'm working on getting plperl running on Amazon Linux (Perl
> 5.16.3) and I'm using the postgres 9.0 yum repo you're providing, and am
> having trouble running 'createlang plperl'.  The repo I'm using is
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.0/redhat/rhel-6.5-x86_64/.
>
> Here is the error I'm getting:
>
> createlang: language installation failed: ERROR:  could not load library
> "/usr/pgsql-9.0/lib/plperl.so": /usr/pgsql-9.0/lib/plperl.so: undefined
> symbol: Perl_Iincgv_ptr

We use the perl that is supplied by the OS:
$ rpm -qv perl-devel
perl-devel-5.10.1-136.el6.x86_64

However, upon checking a bit more, I noticed that RHEL *7* is using Perl
5.16.3:

$ rpm -qv perl-devel
perl-devel-5.16.3-283.el7.x86_64

So, I don't know about Amazon Linux, but they may be using something
between RHEL 6 and RHEL 7.

> FYI the reason why I'm doing this is to live migrate/upgrade a large
> production db instance from 9.0 to 9.4 and I'm attempting to use bucardo to
> do so.

You can use Slony, too.

>  Under Amazon I can't get bucardo to install from your repo because
> it requires the perl(DBIx::Safe) package, which is not available on
> Amazon's repo.

Don't they let you install external RPMs? You can grab Perl-DBIx-Safe
from CentOS repos.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ