Re: tag 9.5 as alpha/beta on the apt download sites?

From
Christoph Berg
Re: Chris Mair 2015-07-28 <4332487d94cee76e3e323e1841971d0f@smtp.hushmail.com>
> If you start at http://www.postgresql.org/download/ then choose
> Debian and find
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/dists/jessie-pgdg/ nowhere you
> are reminded that 9.5 is alpha.
>
> On the other hand, if you choose RedHat, you end up at
> http://yum.postgresql.org/repopackages.php where there is a prominent
> red line stating "BETA TESTING ONLY, NOT FOR PRODUCTION" next to 9.5.
>
> The question/suggestion is: would it make sense to have such a red line
> also on the Debian click-path?

Hi,

the yum packages use a separate repo per PG version, which the Debian
packages don't, so it's not as easy to put some red flags as on the
other web page.

There is some technical hurdle which prevents 9.5 to get installed (it
won't find a matching libpq5 package) unless you tweak the
sources.list line as per [1].

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ#I_want_to_try_the_beta_version_of_the_next_PostgreSQL_release

I agree we could improve the situation, but I'm not really sure what
variant would work well and also wouldn't be forgotten to be removed
when 9.5 becomes stable.

I'll start by adding a hint to the wiki page [2].

[2] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Attachment

Re: tag 9.5 as alpha/beta on the apt download sites?

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> writes:
>> The question/suggestion is: would it make sense to have such a red line
>> also on the Debian click-path?

I don't think it would:

> There is some technical hurdle which prevents 9.5 to get installed (it
> won't find a matching libpq5 package) unless you tweak the
> sources.list line as per [1].

You only get 9.5 in debian if you ask for it, and you have to search in
the FAQ to enable it, so it won't happen by mistake.

> I agree we could improve the situation, but I'm not really sure what
> variant would work well and also wouldn't be forgotten to be removed
> when 9.5 becomes stable.

I would argue the current debian organisation here is a feature, not a
bug, so please consider not fixing it!

Dimitri Fontaine