Backing up the database via browser

From
Zavier Sheran
Date:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to create a link in a webpage
that creates a backup of the database and another link
to download the created backup file. Something similar
to what phpPgAdmin uses in the "View dump (schema) of
database" function with the "Structure and data"
option selected. I browsed the source of phpPgAdmin
but couldn't find the part where the code for that
function is...

Thanks for your help.

-Zavier

=====
---
zavier.net - Internet Solutions
---

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

Re: Backing up the database via browser

From
"David Busby"
Date:
Zavier,
    Using PHP You can do a ``, shell_exec, or passthru to run another
process, (search for the word "exec" on php.net).  Using that and PostgreSQL
command pg_dump you can pull it off, might take a while, here's some
untested code with no error checking

<?php
$db = $_GET['db'];
$cmd = "pg_dump -c -D -f /tix/miner/miner.sql -F p -N -U postgres $db";
$res = `$cmd`;
// Alternate: $res = shell_exec($cmd);
echo $res;
?>

> I'm looking for a way to create a link in a webpage
> that creates a backup of the database and another link
> to download the created backup file. Something similar
> to what phpPgAdmin uses in the "View dump (schema) of
> database" function with the "Structure and data"
> option selected. I browsed the source of phpPgAdmin
> but couldn't find the part where the code for that
> function is...
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> -Zavier
>
> =====
> ---
> zavier.net - Internet Solutions
> ---

> http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Backing up the database via browser

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, David Busby wrote:

> Zavier,
>     Using PHP You can do a ``, shell_exec, or passthru to run another
> process, (search for the word "exec" on php.net).  Using that and PostgreSQL
> command pg_dump you can pull it off, might take a while, here's some
> untested code with no error checking
>
> <?php
> $db = $_GET['db'];
> $cmd = "pg_dump -c -D -f /tix/miner/miner.sql -F p -N -U postgres $db";
> $res = `$cmd`;
> // Alternate: $res = shell_exec($cmd);
> echo $res;
> ?>

He might need to start the $cmd with "/path/to/pg_dump...

unless the pgsql path is in httpd's path.