Can't seem to get Psql and Exec to work together

From
"YC Nyon"
Date:
I am trying to run Postgresql's psql using Exec() command.
The code is below

<?
 $convert_sql_2 = "\"C:\postgresql\bin\psql.exe -d Geoprocessing -f
C:\\postgresql\\bin\\g126.sql";
 exec($convert_sql_2,$ds);
?>

It didn't insert the data I hope it would. I tested it from the dos command
line and it works fine.
also i used
$convert_sql_2 = "\"C:\postgresql\bin\psql.exe --help";
passthru($convert_sql_2,$ds);
 It works, giving me the help options.

Nyon

Re: Can't seem to get Psql and Exec to work together

From
Andrew McMillan
Date:
On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 05:30, YC Nyon wrote:
> I am trying to run Postgresql's psql using Exec() command.
> The code is below
>
> <?
>  $convert_sql_2 = "\"C:\postgresql\bin\psql.exe -d Geoprocessing -f
> C:\\postgresql\\bin\\g126.sql";
>  exec($convert_sql_2,$ds);
> ?>
>
> It didn't insert the data I hope it would. I tested it from the dos command
> line and it works fine.
> also i used
> $convert_sql_2 = "\"C:\postgresql\bin\psql.exe --help";
> passthru($convert_sql_2,$ds);
>  It works, giving me the help options.

I know that if I tried such foolery on Linux it would not let me because
it would be a different user running the psql - one which was not
allowed to access the database.

Presumably on "DOS" the same sort of thing is happening.

Why not use the pgsql module in PHP and run your commands into
PostgreSQL directly anyway?  Doing it the way you suggest here just
seems a recipe for a disaster!

Regards,
                        Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/

Re: Can't seem to get Psql and Exec to work together

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
You probably need to adda -U switch to tell postgresql who you are trying
to connect as.  It's likely that psql is passing the current user name
that your web server is running as and postgresql doesn't know who that
is.

psql.exe -U username -d Geoprocessing -f filename.sql

should work.

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, YC Nyon wrote:

> I am trying to run Postgresql's psql using Exec() command.
> The code is below
>
> <?
>  $convert_sql_2 = "\"C:\postgresql\bin\psql.exe -d Geoprocessing -f
> C:\\postgresql\\bin\\g126.sql";
>  exec($convert_sql_2,$ds);
> ?>
>
> It didn't insert the data I hope it would. I tested it from the dos command
> line and it works fine.
> also i used
> $convert_sql_2 = "\"C:\postgresql\bin\psql.exe --help";
> passthru($convert_sql_2,$ds);
>  It works, giving me the help options.
>
> Nyon

Last URL

From
"Steven Lee"
Dear all:

I try to write a logging page which can know how the users find my site.
if by search engine or some banner switch, they must from another site
(yahoo,xxx.com etc.)
I try to find it in $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[], seems no, I am not sure.
Is ther any Possible way that I can know what is the last URL before the
user get into my site?

Thank you

Steven

Re: Last URL

From
Chris Smith
Date:
Hi,

>I try to write a logging page which can know how the users find my site.
>if by search engine or some banner switch, they must from another site
>(yahoo,xxx.com etc.)
>I try to find it in $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[], seems no, I am not sure.
>Is ther any Possible way that I can know what is the last URL before the
>user get into my site?

Have a look in $_SERVER for php4.1.0 and later. There's a variable
called  'HTTP_REFERER'..

 From the manual ..

The address of the page (if any) which referred the user agent to the
current page. This is set by the user agent. Not all user agents will set
this, and some provide the ability to modify HTTP_REFERER as a feature. In
short, it cannot really be trusted.

It only gets set when you click on a link to go to the site, not if you go
there yourself with the url.

HTH.

Chris.

.....>> Open Source - Own it - Squiz.net ...../>
W: http://www.squiz.net/
.....>> Open Source - Own it - Squiz.net ...../>

Re: Last URL

From
Ray Hunter
Date:
Steven,

You can use the $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] to check...however, this is not
very reliable.  Cause is suggested regarding the validity of the value
of this variable.

Here is the link:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/reserved.variables.php#reserved.variables.server

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 05:52, Steven Lee wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I try to write a logging page which can know how the users find my site.
> if by search engine or some banner switch, they must from another site
> (yahoo,xxx.com etc.)
> I try to find it in $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[], seems no, I am not sure.
> Is ther any Possible way that I can know what is the last URL before the
> user get into my site?
>

> Thank you
>
> Steven

Thank you,

Ray Hunter

Re: Last URL

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Steven Lee wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> I try to write a logging page which can know how the users find my site.
> if by search engine or some banner switch, they must from another site
> (yahoo,xxx.com etc.)
> I try to find it in $HTTP_SERVER_VARS[], seems no, I am not sure.
> Is ther any Possible way that I can know what is the last URL before the
> user get into my site?

Others have mentioned $_server[], I'll just add that you can see all the
names of the vars you can grab by using either

phpinfo();

phpinfo gives up lots of various information.  You can use different
constants with it.  See http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.phpinfo.php
for more info.

or you can implode the array's keys to get a list like this:

print implode(":",array_keys($_server));

Just replace $_server with a different array and you can see what keys it
has.  You can use the same trick on multi-dimensional arrays like so:

print implode(":",array_keys($_server['first_key']));

Last URL [Thank you]

From
"Steven Lee"
Date: