encryption for postgres

From
hodges@xprt.net
Date:
I need to save user ids and passwords to be used for access
to records in a database.  The passwords should be encrypted
before saving.  Are there builtin or standard php functions
to do encryption/decryption or does one need to add a library
to a standard php install (RedHat 7.1).

Cheers, Tom
Tom Hodges, hodges@xprt.net or tom_hodges@yahoo.com
ICQ 10149621, YahooMessenger tom_hodges
Mail: 14314 SW Allen Blvd, #317; Beaverton OR 97005 USA

Re: encryption for postgres

From
Joel Burton
Date:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 hodges@xprt.net wrote:

> I need to save user ids and passwords to be used for access
> to records in a database.  The passwords should be encrypted
> before saving.  Are there builtin or standard php functions
> to do encryption/decryption or does one need to add a library
> to a standard php install (RedHat 7.1).

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.crypt.php

or, for better security,

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.md5.php

(btw, found this by searching for 'encryption' on the
homepage at php.net.)

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  http://joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: encryption for postgres

From
speedboy
Date:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.crypt.php
>
> or, for better security,
>
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.md5.php

How is md5 more secure?

Re: encryption for postgres

From
"Mitch Vincent"
Date:
There are such functions for both PHP and PostgreSQL -- check out pgcrypto
in the contrib directory of the tarball for PostgreSQL support and the
mcrypt functions for PHP support... Both link to external libraries..

Note that MD5 and DES encryption might be available without linking to
external libs but those are one-way encryptions....

-Mitch
> I need to save user ids and passwords to be used for access
> to records in a database.  The passwords should be encrypted
> before saving.  Are there builtin or standard php functions
> to do encryption/decryption or does one need to add a library
> to a standard php install (RedHat 7.1).
>
> Cheers, Tom
> Tom Hodges, hodges@xprt.net or tom_hodges@yahoo.com
> ICQ 10149621, YahooMessenger tom_hodges
> Mail: 14314 SW Allen Blvd, #317; Beaverton OR 97005 USA

Re: encryption for postgres

From
Ben.Westgarth@facs.gov.au

Hi Tom,

There is a standard function - 'crypt( )' . I'm afraid I can't give you a
detailed run down on how to use it off the top of my head, but the manual covers
it pretty well, and you can also check it out at http://www.php.net

If you need more serious security there are other encryption functions around,
but I think you have to load most of these in as separate modules. I seem to
remember that php builder have done a couple of good articles on such things
(don't quote me on that though).

Cheers,

Ben Westgarth

hodges@xprt.net on 15/10/2001 08:50:20

I need to save user ids and passwords to be used for access
to records in a database.  The passwords should be encrypted
before saving.  Are there builtin or standard php functions
to do encryption/decryption or does one need to add a library
to a standard php install (RedHat 7.1).

Cheers, Tom
Tom Hodges, hodges@xprt.net or tom_hodges@yahoo.com
ICQ 10149621, YahooMessenger tom_hodges
Mail: 14314 SW Allen Blvd, #317; Beaverton OR 97005 USA

Re: encryption for postgres

From
hodges@xprt.net
Date:
Thanks for all the advice on encryption.  I am just looking
for one way encryption so I will use crypt with either md5
or blowfish, depending on which is available.

Cheers, Tom

Re: encryption for postgres

From
Joel Burton