Question processor speed differences.

From
Tory M Blue
Date:
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE  vs  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU    E5345  @ 2.33GHz

I'm wondering if there is a performance difference running postgres on
fedora  on AMD vs Intel (the 2 listed above).

I have an 8 way Intel Xeon box and a 12way AMD box and was thinking
about migrating to the new AMD box, from the 4 year old Intel box. But
I wasn't sure if there is some performance stats on AMD multi core
procs vs the Intels for DB applications?

Thanks

Tory

Re: Question processor speed differences.

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On 05/10/2011 01:28 PM, Tory M Blue wrote:
> AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4174 HE  vs  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU    E5345  @ 2.33GHz
>
> I'm wondering if there is a performance difference running postgres on
> fedora  on AMD vs Intel (the 2 listed above).
>
> I have an 8 way Intel Xeon box and a 12way AMD box and was thinking
> about migrating to the new AMD box, from the 4 year old Intel box. But
> I wasn't sure if there is some performance stats on AMD multi core
> procs vs the Intels for DB applications?

The real limiting factor on CPU performance on your E5345 is how fast
the server can shuffle things back and forth to memory.  The FB-DIMM
DDR2-667MHz memory on that server will be hard pressed to clear 5GB/s of
memory access, probably less.  That matter a lot when running in-memory
database tasks, where the server is constantly shuffling 8K pages of
data around.

The new AMD box will have DDR3-1333 Mhz and a much better memory
architecture to go with it.  I'd expect 6 to 7GB/s out of a single core,
and across multiple cores you might hit as much as 20GB/s if you have 4
channels of memory in there.  Rough guess, new server is at least twice
as fast, and might even hit four times as fast.

If you have access to both boxes and can find a quiet period, you could
try running stream-scaling:  https://github.com/gregs1104/stream-scaling
to quantify for yourself just how big the speed difference in this
area.  That's correlated extremely well for me with PostgreSQL
performance on SELECT statements.  If you're going to disk instead of
being limited by the CPU, none of this matters though.  Make sure you
really are waiting for the CPUs most of the time.