Per-database warm standby?

From
Craig James
Date:
8.4 has vastly improved the warm-standby features, but it looks to me like this is still an installation-wide backup,
nota per-database backup.  That is, if you have (say) a couple hundred databases, and you only want warm-backup on one
ofthem, you can't do it (except using other solutions like Slony).  Is that right?

Thanks,
Craig

Re: Per-database warm standby?

Date:
Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> writes:
> 8.4 has vastly improved the warm-standby features, but it looks to me like this is still an installation-wide backup,
nota per-database backup.  That is, if you have (say) a couple hundred databases, and you only want warm-backup on one
ofthem, you can't do it (except using other solutions like Slony).  Is that right?

Correct, and that's always going to be true of any WAL-based solution.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Per-database warm standby?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> writes:
> > 8.4 has vastly improved the warm-standby features, but it looks to me like this is still an installation-wide
backup,not a per-database backup.  That is, if you have (say) a couple hundred databases, and you only want warm-backup
onone of them, you can't do it (except using other solutions like Slony).  Is that right?

> Correct, and that's always going to be true of any WAL-based solution.

Except that we could create a "WAL filter" to restore only relevant
stuff to particular databases ...  Would that work?  Of course, it would
have to ensure that global objects are also recovered, but we could
simply ignore commands for other databases.

Re: Per-database warm standby?

From
Nickolay
Date:
I also have a question about warm standby replication.
What'd be the best solution for the system with 2 db servers (nodes), 1
database and 10 seconds max to switch between them (ready to switch time).
Currently I'm using Slony, but it's kind of slow when doing subscribe
after failover on the failed node (database can be really huge and it
would take a few hours to COPY tables using Slony).
May be WAL replication would be better?

Best regards, Nick.