Re: Per-database warm standby? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Per-database warm standby?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig James <craig_james@emolecules.com> writes:
> > 8.4 has vastly improved the warm-standby features, but it looks to me like this is still an installation-wide
backup,not a per-database backup.  That is, if you have (say) a couple hundred databases, and you only want warm-backup
onone of them, you can't do it (except using other solutions like Slony).  Is that right?

> Correct, and that's always going to be true of any WAL-based solution.

Except that we could create a "WAL filter" to restore only relevant
stuff to particular databases ...  Would that work?  Of course, it would
have to ensure that global objects are also recovered, but we could
simply ignore commands for other databases.