Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

From
"Hartman, Matthew"

Good morning.

I have developed a function call that schedules patient appointments within a day based on several resource constraints. The algorithm has been mentioned on here before and I have managed to tweak it down to 6-9 seconds from the original 27 seconds.

Of course, I want it to be faster still. The function throttles one of my CPUs to 100% (shown as 50% in Task Manager) and leaves the other one sitting pretty. Is there any way to use both CPUs?

Thanks,

Matthew Hartman
Programmer/Analyst
Information Management, ICP
Kingston General Hospital
(613) 549-6666 x4294

Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

From
Jean-David Beyer
Date:
Hartman, Matthew wrote:
> Good morning.
>

> I have developed a function call that schedules patient appointments
> within a day based on several resource constraints. The algorithm has
> been mentioned on here before and I have managed to tweak it down to 6-9
> seconds from the original 27 seconds.

To speed up the execution of processes, I heartily recommend the book,
"Writing Efficient Programs" by Jon Louis Bentley, Prentice-Hall, 1982.

There are many important steps. The most important is usually to refine the
algorithm itself. I once speeded up a program that would have required
several weeks on a main frame running 24/7 to 6 minutes by improving the
basic algorithm of the thing. Only then would it have made sense to optimize
the actual code.

Next, you need to profile the code to see where the hot spots are. There is
little point to examining code in other parts of the program.

> Of course, I want it to be faster still. The function throttles one of
> my CPUs to 100% (shown as 50% in Task Manager) and leaves the other one
> sitting pretty. Is there any way to use both CPUs?

You could write your algorithm as a separate process -- a server.
Then in you SQL program, you invoke a trivial function that just hands the
arguments off to the server. Thus, your SQL program would normally run on
one processor and the time-consuming algorithm would run on the other.

If you are not careful, this would not benefit you at all because your SQL
process would wait until the server returns its answer. So you would need to
modify your SQL program so that it could do other things while the server
process did its thing.

My guess is that you need a more efficient algorithm before you go to the
trouble of optimizing the execution of your current one. As far as making it
run on multiple processors, it depends critically on the nature of your
algorithm. A few can easily be modified to run on multiple processors. Some
cannot run on multiple processors at all.

> Thanks,
>

> Matthew Hartman
> Programmer/Analyst
> Information Management, ICP
> Kingston General Hospital
> (613) 549-6666 x4294

  ^^-^^ 10:40:01 up 10 days, 21:29, 3 users, load average: 4.19, 4.22, 4.19

Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

From
"Hartman, Matthew"
Date:
I'm pretty much at that point where I've chewed the fat off of the
algorithm, or at least at my personal limits. Occasionally a new idea
pops into my head and yields an improvement but it's in the order of
100-250ms.

Google came back with "no sir". It seems PostgreSQL is limited to one
CPU per query unless I spawn a master/controller like you suggested.
Shame..

> [...]

process did its thing.

My guess is that you need a more efficient algorithm before you go to
the
trouble of optimizing the execution of your current one. As far as
making it
run on multiple processors, it depends critically on the nature of your
algorithm. A few can easily be modified to run on multiple processors.
Some
cannot run on multiple processors at all.

> Thanks,
>

> Matthew Hartman
> Programmer/Analyst
> Information Management, ICP
> Kingston General Hospital
> (613) 549-6666 x4294

  ^^-^^ 10:40:01 up 10 days, 21:29, 3 users, load average: 4.19, 4.22,
4.19

Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

Joe Conway
Date:
Hartman, Matthew wrote:
> I'm pretty much at that point where I've chewed the fat off of the
> algorithm, or at least at my personal limits. Occasionally a new idea
> pops into my head and yields an improvement but it's in the order of
> 100-250ms.
>
> Google came back with "no sir". It seems PostgreSQL is limited to one
> CPU per query unless I spawn a master/controller like you suggested.
> Shame..

Although I have never done it myself, you might try using PL/R to
perform the algo in R, and make use of snow package to run parallel
tasks -- see:
   http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

Joe

Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Hartman, Matthew wrote:

> The function throttles one of my CPUs to 100% (shown as 50% in Task
> Manager) and leaves the other one sitting pretty. Is there any way to
> use both CPUs?

Not easily.  Potential techniques:

-Rewrite the function or its time critical portion in some other language
that allows using two processes usefully

-Write a "worker server" that you prompt to pick up work from a table and
write its output to another that you can ask to handle part of the job.
You might communicate with the worker using the LISTEN/NOTIFY mechanism in
the database.

-Some combination of these two techniques.  One popular way to speed up
things that are running slowly is to run some part of them in a C UDF, so
that you could use "select my_big_computation(x,y,z)" and get faster
execution.

If you were hoping for a quick answer, no such thing.  I suspect you'd get
better help talking about what your function does and see if there's a
specific part somebody else is familiar with optimizing.

For example, I've seen >10:1 speedups just be rewriting one small portion
of a computationally expensive mathematical function in C before, keeping
the rest of the logic on the database side.  You don't necessarily have to
rewrite the whole thing.

Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

From
Merlin Moncure
Date:
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Hartman,
Matthew<Matthew.Hartman@krcc.on.ca> wrote:
> Good morning.
>

> I have developed a function call that schedules patient appointments within
> a day based on several resource constraints. The algorithm has been
> mentioned on here before and I have managed to tweak it down to 6-9 seconds
> from the original 27 seconds.
>

> Of course, I want it to be faster still. The function throttles one of my
> CPUs to 100% (shown as 50% in Task Manager) and leaves the other one sitting
> pretty. Is there any way to use both CPUs?

Your best bet at using multiple cores on a cpu bound problem is to try
and divide up the work logically into separate pools and to attack the
work with multiple function calls.  This is probably what the database
would do for you if it had 'in-query multi threading', only the
database could attack it on a much finer grained level.

In your particular case, I think the answer is to attack the problem
in an entirely new direction, although your matrix query is one of the
coolest queries i've seen in a while.

The first thought that jumped out at me was to try and treat your
nurses and stations as incrementing numbers so that if you allocate
three hours of nurse x's time, you increment some number by three in
the nurse's table.  This would lay on top of a kind of a time
calculation system that would convert that number to actual time based
on the nurses schedule, etc.  On top of _that_, you would need some
kind of resolution system to handle canceled appointments, nurse
no-shows, etc.

The stations would operate on a similar principle...you imagine all
the available hours for the station stretched to infinity on a number
line and keep a fixed allocation point which always moves forwards,
plus a 'number line time' -> real time converter and a freestore list
to pick up unexpectedly freed time.

merlin

Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 14:42 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:

> -Write a "worker server" that you prompt to pick up work from a table and
> write its output to another that you can ask to handle part of the job.
> You might communicate with the worker using the LISTEN/NOTIFY mechanism in
> the database.
>
> -Some combination of these two techniques.  One popular way to speed up
> things that are running slowly is to run some part of them in a C UDF, so
> that you could use "select my_big_computation(x,y,z)" and get faster
> execution.

The trouble here is that the backend may not like having threads
suddenly introduced into its execution environment.

If properly written, I don't really see why a C UDF that used pthreads
couldn't spawn two worker threads that _NEVER_ touched _ANY_ PostgreSQL
APIs, talked to the SPI, etc, and let them run while blocking the main
thread until they complete.

Then again, I know relatively little about Pg's guts, and for all I know
initing the pthread environment could completely mess up the backend.

Personally I'd want to do it out-of-process, using a SECURITY DEFINER
PL/PgSQL function owned by a role that also owned some otherwise private
queue and result tables for your worker server. As Greg Smith noted,
LISTEN/NOTIFY would allow your worker server to avoid polling and
instead sleep when there's nothing in the queue, and would also let your
waiting clients avoid polling the result table.

> For example, I've seen >10:1 speedups just be rewriting one small portion
> of a computationally expensive mathematical function in C before, keeping
> the rest of the logic on the database side.  You don't necessarily have to
> rewrite the whole thing.

A useful dirty trick is to use Psyco in Python. It's a specializing
compiler that can get massive performance boosts out of Python code
without any code changes, and it seems to work with PL/Python. Just:

try:
  import psyco
  psyco.full()
except:
  # Enabing Pysco failed; don't care
  pass

in your function should get you a pretty serious boost. This will NOT,
however, allow your code to use two cores at once; you'll need threading
or multiple processes for that.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.

From
"Hartman, Matthew"
Date:
I have tried to wrap my brain around different approaches but I'm still
stuck with this one so far. Your approach is interesting but the problem
is more complicated than that. Let me break it down a bit more.

The chemotherapy treatment room is divided into groupings of chairs,
called pods. Pod 1 could have three chairs, pod 2 could have two, and so
forth. Every day can have a unique number of pods, chairs, and groupings
of chairs to pods. Furthermore, every day can have a unique number of
nurses, and nurses are assigned to one or more pods. A single nurse
could be assigned to cover three pods for example. On top of that, pods
have a start/end time as well as nurses. Every pod and nurse can have
unique start/end times.

Chemotherapy regimens have a required chair time and a required nurse
time. The required nurse time represents how long it takes a nurse to
start the treatment. To schedule an appointment, both the chair and
nurse have to be available for the required times at the same time,
while also respecting the pod/chair and pod/nurse assignments. It's more
than incrementing/decrementing the total available time.

[...]

Date:
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Hartman,
Matthew<Matthew.Hartman@krcc.on.ca> wrote:
> I have tried to wrap my brain around different approaches but I'm still
> stuck with this one so far. Your approach is interesting but the problem
> is more complicated than that. Let me break it down a bit more.
>
> The chemotherapy treatment room is divided into groupings of chairs,
> called pods. Pod 1 could have three chairs, pod 2 could have two, and so
> forth. Every day can have a unique number of pods, chairs, and groupings
> of chairs to pods. Furthermore, every day can have a unique number of
> nurses, and nurses are assigned to one or more pods. A single nurse
> could be assigned to cover three pods for example. On top of that, pods
> have a start/end time as well as nurses. Every pod and nurse can have
> unique start/end times.
>
> Chemotherapy regimens have a required chair time and a required nurse
> time. The required nurse time represents how long it takes a nurse to
> start the treatment. To schedule an appointment, both the chair and
> nurse have to be available for the required times at the same time,
> while also respecting the pod/chair and pod/nurse assignments. It's more
> than incrementing/decrementing the total available time.

I take it then that the char time and the nurse time are not the same
duration.  Does the nurse time always have to be the same portion of
the chair time (say, at the beginning?), or is their some more
complicated definition of how the nurse time overlays on top the chair
time during the treatment?

merlin

Date:
> I take it then that the char time and the nurse time are not the same
> duration.  Does the nurse time always have to be the same portion of
> the chair time (say, at the beginning?), or is their some more
> complicated definition of how the nurse time overlays on top the chair
> time during the treatment?

The nurse time is equal to or often less than the chair time, and always
at the beginning. They've asked to be able to specify nurse time at the
end as well but I've stuck with "no" so far. :)