Utilizing multiple cores in a function call. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Hartman, Matthew
Subject Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.
Date
Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Re: Utilizing multiple cores in a function call.  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance

Good morning.

I have developed a function call that schedules patient appointments within a day based on several resource constraints. The algorithm has been mentioned on here before and I have managed to tweak it down to 6-9 seconds from the original 27 seconds.

Of course, I want it to be faster still. The function throttles one of my CPUs to 100% (shown as 50% in Task Manager) and leaves the other one sitting pretty. Is there any way to use both CPUs?

Thanks,

Matthew Hartman
Programmer/Analyst
Information Management, ICP