More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
"Guillaume Smet"
Date:
Hi all,

I'm currently benchmarking the new PostgreSQL server of one of our
customers with PostgreSQL 8.3 beta4. I have more or less the same
configuration Stefan tested in his blog [1]:
- Dell 2900 with two brand new X5365 processors (quad core 3.0 GHz),
16 GB of memory
- a RAID1 array for pg_xlog and a 6 disks RAID10 array for data (I
moved pg_xlog to the RAID10 array for a few runs - same behaviour) -
all 73 GB 15k drives
- CentOS 5.1 - 64 bits

I started working on pgbench tests. I made a "not so stupid"
configuration to begin with and I was quite disappointed by my results
compared to Stefan's. I decided to test with a more default
shared_buffers configuration to be able to compare my results with
Stefan's graph [2]. And the fact is that with a very low
shared_buffers configuration, my results are quite similar to Stefan's
results but, as soon as I put higher values of shared_buffers,
performances begins degrading [3].

I performed my tests with: pgbench -i -s 100 -U postgres bench and
pgbench -s 100 -c 100 -t 30000 -U postgres bench. Of course, I
initialize the database before each run. I made my tests in one
direction then in the other with similar results so it's not a
degradation due to consecutive runs.

I lowered the number of concurrent clients to 50 because 100 is quite
high and I obtain the same sort of results:
shared_buffers=32MB: 1869 tps
shared_buffers=64MB: 1844 tps
shared_buffers=512MB: 1676 tps
shared_buffers=1024MB: 1559 tps

Non default parameters are:
max_connections = 200
work_mem = 32MB
wal_buffers = 1024kB
checkpoint_segments = 192
effective_cache_size = 5GB
(I use more or less the configuration used by Stefan - I had the same
behaviour with default wal_buffers and checkpoint_segments)

While monitoring the server with vmstat, I can't see any real reason
why it's slower. When shared_buffers has a higher value, I/O are
lower, context switches too and finally performances. The CPU usage is
quite similar (~50-60%). I/O doesn't limit the performances AFAICS.

I must admit I'm a bit puzzled. Does anyone have any pointer which
could explain this behaviour or any way to track the issue? I'll be
glad to perform any test needed to understand the problem.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/blog/index.php?/archives/21-8.3-vs.-8.2-a-simple-benchmark.html
[2] http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/blog/uploads/83b4shm.gif
[3] http://people.openwide.fr/~gsmet/postgresql/tps_shared_buffers.png
(X=shared_buffers in MB/Y=results with pgbench)

--
Guillaume

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
Cédric Villemain
Date:
Guillaume Smet a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently benchmarking the new PostgreSQL server of one of our
> customers with PostgreSQL 8.3 beta4. I have more or less the same
> configuration Stefan tested in his blog [1]:
> - Dell 2900 with two brand new X5365 processors (quad core 3.0 GHz),
> 16 GB of memory
> - a RAID1 array for pg_xlog and a 6 disks RAID10 array for data (I
> moved pg_xlog to the RAID10 array for a few runs - same behaviour) -
> all 73 GB 15k drives
> - CentOS 5.1 - 64 bits

Which kernel do you have ?

--
Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données

Attachment

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 01:06 +0100, Guillaume Smet wrote:

> I lowered the number of concurrent clients to 50 because 100 is quite
> high and I obtain the same sort of results:
> shared_buffers=32MB: 1869 tps
> shared_buffers=64MB: 1844 tps
> shared_buffers=512MB: 1676 tps
> shared_buffers=1024MB: 1559 tps

Can you try with

bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 0

So we can see if the bgwriter has any hand in this?

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Date:
On Dec 26, 2007 12:06 PM, Cédric Villemain <cedric.villemain@dalibo.com> wrote:
> Which kernel do you have ?

Kernel of the distro. So a RH flavoured 2.6.18.

--

Date:
On Dec 26, 2007 12:21 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Can you try with
>
> bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 0
>
> So we can see if the bgwriter has any hand in this?

I will. I'm currently running tests with less concurrent clients (16)
with exactly the same results:
64M 4213.314902
256M 4012.782820
512M 3676.840722
768M 3377.791211
1024M 2863.133965
64M again 4274.531310

I'm rerunning the tests using Greg Smith's pgbench-tools [1] to obtain
a graph of each run.

[1] http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgbench-tools.htm

--

Date:
On Dec 26, 2007 12:21 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 0
>
> So we can see if the bgwriter has any hand in this?

It doesn't change the behaviour I have.

It's not checkpointing either as using pgbench-tools, I can see that
tps and latency are quite stable during the entire run. Btw, thanks
Greg for these nice tools.

I thought it may be some sort of lock contention so I made a few tests
with -N but I have the same behaviour.

Then I decided to perform read-only tests using -S option (pgbench -S
-s 100 -c 16 -t 30000 -U postgres bench). And still the same
behaviour:
shared_buffers=64MB : 20k tps
shared_buffers=1024MB : 8k tps

Any other idea?

--
Guillaume

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
Hello

I tested it and it is true. In my configuration 1GRam, Fedora 8, is
PostgreSQL most fast with 32M shared buffers :(. Diff is about 5% to
256M

Regards
Pavel Stehule

Date:
On Dec 26, 2007 4:41 PM, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then I decided to perform read-only tests using -S option (pgbench -S
> -s 100 -c 16 -t 30000 -U postgres bench). And still the same
> behaviour:
> shared_buffers=64MB : 20k tps
> shared_buffers=1024MB : 8k tps

Some more information. If I strace the backends during the test, the
test is faster with shared_buffers=1024MB and I have less system calls
(less read and less lseek).

A quick cut | uniq | sort gives me:
With 64MB:
  12548 semop
 160039 sendto
 160056 recvfrom
 294289 read
 613338 lseek

With 1024MB:
  11396 semop
 129947 read
 160039 sendto
 160056 recvfrom
 449584 lseek

--
Guillaume

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:

> It's not checkpointing either as using pgbench-tools, I can see that
> tps and latency are quite stable during the entire run. Btw, thanks
> Greg for these nice tools.

I stole the graph idea from Mark Wong's DBT2 code and one of these days
I'll credit him appropriately.

> Then I decided to perform read-only tests using -S option (pgbench -S
> -s 100 -c 16 -t 30000 -U postgres bench). And still the same
> behaviour:
> shared_buffers=64MB : 20k tps
> shared_buffers=1024MB : 8k tps

Ah, now this is really interesting, as it rules out all the write
components and should be easy to replicate even on a smaller server.  As
you've already dumped a bunch of time into this the only other thing I
would suggest checking is whether the same behavior also happens on 8.2 on
your server.

Date:
On Dec 26, 2007 7:23 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
> Ah, now this is really interesting, as it rules out all the write
> components and should be easy to replicate even on a smaller server.  As
> you've already dumped a bunch of time into this the only other thing I
> would suggest checking is whether the same behavior also happens on 8.2 on
> your server.

Let's go with 8.2.5 on the same server (-s 100 / 16 clients / 50k
transactions per client / only read using -S option):
64MB: 33814 tps
512MB: 35833 tps
1024MB: 36986 tps
It's more consistent with what I expected.

I used PGDG RPMs compiled by Devrim for 8.2.5 and the ones I compiled
myself for 8.3b4 (based on the src.rpm of Devrim). I just asked Devrim
to build a set of x86_64 RPMs for 8.3b4 to see if it's not a
compilation problem (they were compiled on a brand new box freshly
installed so it would be a bit surprising but I want to be sure). He's
kindly uploading them right now so I'll work on new tests using his
RPMs.

I'll keep you informed of the results.

--

Date:
On Dec 26, 2007 10:52 PM, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's go with 8.2.5 on the same server (-s 100 / 16 clients / 50k
> transactions per client / only read using -S option):
> 64MB: 33814 tps
> 512MB: 35833 tps
> 1024MB: 36986 tps
> It's more consistent with what I expected.

I had the same numbers with 8.3b4.x86_64 RPMs compiled by Devrim than
with the ones I compiled myself. While discussing with Devrim, I
checked the .spec with a little more attention and... I noticed that
beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
--enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...
I did all my previous benchmarks with binaries compiled directly from
CVS so I didn't notice it before and this new server was far faster
than the box I tested 8.3devel before so I wasn't surprised by the
other results..

So, the conclusion is: if you really want to test/benchmark 8.3beta4
using the RPM packages, you'd better compile your own set of RPMs
using --define "beta 0".

Really sorry for the noise but anyway quite happy to have discovered
the pgbench-tools of Greg.

I hope it will be useful to other people. I'll post new results
yesterday with a clean beta4 install.

--

Date:
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:

> beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
> --enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...

Got that right.  Last time I was going crazy after running pgbench with
those options and not having realized what I changed, I was getting a 50%
slowdown on results that way compared to without the debugging stuff.
Didn't realize it scaled with shared_buffers though.

> Really sorry for the noise

Nothing to be sorry for, I know I wasn't aware the beta RPMs were compiled
that way.  Probably need to put a disclaimer about that fact *somewhere*.
It's unfortunate for you, but I know I'm glad you run into it rather than
someone who wouldn't have followed through to figure out the cause.

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 18:35 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> Probably need to put a disclaimer about that fact *somewhere*.

We mention about that in README.rpm-dist file, but I think we should
mention about that at a more visible place.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

Date:
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:
>> beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
>> --enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...

> Got that right.  Last time I was going crazy after running pgbench with
> those options and not having realized what I changed, I was getting a 50%
> slowdown on results that way compared to without the debugging stuff.
> Didn't realize it scaled with shared_buffers though.

See AtEOXact_Buffers().  There are probably any number of other
interesting scaling behaviors --- in my tests, AllocSetCheck() is
normally a major cycle-eater if --enable-cassert is set, and that costs
time proportional to the number of memory chunks allocated by the query.

Currently the docs say that --enable-cassert

         Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
         many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
         code development purposes, but the tests slow things down a little.

Maybe we ought to put that more strongly --- s/a little/significantly/,
perhaps?

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Dec 27, 2007 7:10 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>          Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
>          many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
>          code development purposes, but the tests slow things down a little.
>
> Maybe we ought to put that more strongly --- s/a little/significantly/,
> perhaps?

+1. It seems closer to the reality.

--
Guillaume

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 01:10:29AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:
> >> beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
> >> --enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...
>
> > Got that right.  Last time I was going crazy after running pgbench with
> > those options and not having realized what I changed, I was getting a 50%
> > slowdown on results that way compared to without the debugging stuff.
> > Didn't realize it scaled with shared_buffers though.
>
> See AtEOXact_Buffers().  There are probably any number of other
> interesting scaling behaviors --- in my tests, AllocSetCheck() is
> normally a major cycle-eater if --enable-cassert is set, and that costs
> time proportional to the number of memory chunks allocated by the query.
>
> Currently the docs say that --enable-cassert
>
>          Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
>          many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
>          code development purposes, but the tests slow things down a little.
>
> Maybe we ought to put that more strongly --- s/a little/significantly/,
> perhaps?

Sounds like a good idea. We got bit by the same thing when doing some
benchmarks on the MSVC port (and with we I mean Dave did the work, and several
people couldn't understand why the numbers sucked)

//Magnus

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Tom Lane escribió:

> Currently the docs say that --enable-cassert
>
>          Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
>          many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
>          code development purposes, but the tests slow things down a little.
>
> Maybe we ought to put that more strongly --- s/a little/significantly/,
> perhaps?

I don't think it will make any difference, because people don't read
configure documentation.  They read configure --help.

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

> Tom Lane escribió:
>
>> Currently the docs say that --enable-cassert
>>
>>          Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
>>          many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
>>          code development purposes, but the tests slow things down a little.
>>
>> Maybe we ought to put that more strongly --- s/a little/significantly/,
>> perhaps?
>
> I don't think it will make any difference, because people don't read
> configure documentation.  They read configure --help.

Fwiw I think you're all getting a bit caught up in this one context. While the
slowdown is significant when you take out the stopwatch, under normal
interactive use you're not going to notice your queries being especially slow.

--
  Gregory Stark

Date:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Gregory Stark wrote:

> Fwiw I think you're all getting a bit caught up in this one context.

I lost a day once over this problem.  Guillaume lost at least that much.
Sounds like Magnus and Dave got a good sized dose as well.  Seems like
something worth warning people about to me.  The worst time people can run
into a performance regression is when they're running a popular
benchmarking tool.  I didn't think this was a big problem because I
thought it was limited to developers who shot their own foot, but if there
are packagers turning this on to improve beta feedback it deserves some
wider mention.

As for the suggestion that people don't read the documentation, take a
look at the above list of developers and tell me whether that group is
aware of what's in the docs or not.  I had never seen anyone bring this up
before I ran into it, and I dumped a strong warning into
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Working_with_CVS#Initial_setup
so at least it was written down somewhere.

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

Date:
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> ...  I didn't think this was a big problem because I
> thought it was limited to developers who shot their own foot, but if there
> are packagers turning this on to improve beta feedback it deserves some
> wider mention.

Yeah, binary packages that are built with --enable-cassert perhaps need
to be labeled as "not intended for benchmarking" or some such.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
"Greg Smith" <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:

> The worst time people can run into a performance
> regression is when they're running a popular benchmarking tool.

Hm, perhaps pg_bench should do a "show debug_assertions" and print a warning
if the answer isn't "off". We could encourage other benchmark software to do
something similar.

--
  Gregory Stark

Date:
Tom Lane escribió:
> Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> > ...  I didn't think this was a big problem because I
> > thought it was limited to developers who shot their own foot, but if there
> > are packagers turning this on to improve beta feedback it deserves some
> > wider mention.
>
> Yeah, binary packages that are built with --enable-cassert perhaps need
> to be labeled as "not intended for benchmarking" or some such.

Perhaps make them emit a WARNING at server start or something.

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

Date:
> Perhaps make them emit a WARNING at server start or something.

I concur with Greg Stark's earlier comment that this is all
overreaction.  Let's just fix the misleading comment in the
documentation and leave it at that.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Dec 27, 2007 7:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I concur with Greg Stark's earlier comment that this is all
> overreaction.  Let's just fix the misleading comment in the
> documentation and leave it at that.

IMHO, we should also have a special tag for all the binaries
distributed with these options on the official website (RPM or not).
If the RPM packages' version has been tagged .debug or something like
that, it would have been the first thing I checked.

I like Gregory's idea to add a warning in pgbench. I usually run a few
pgbench tests to check there is no obvious problem even if I use
another more complicated benchmark afterwards. I don't know if that's
what other people do, though.

--
Guillaume

Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On Dec 25, 2007 7:06 PM, Guillaume Smet <guillaume.smet@gmail.com> wrote:
> While monitoring the server with vmstat, I can't see any real reason
> why it's slower. When shared_buffers has a higher value, I/O are
> lower, context switches too and finally performances. The CPU usage is
> quite similar (~50-60%). I/O doesn't limit the performances AFAICS.

Can you confirm that i/o is lower according to iostat?  One
possibility is that you are on the cusp of where your server's memory
covers the database and the higher buffers results in lower memory
efficiency.

If raising shared buffers is getting you more page faults to disk,
this would explain the lower figures regardless of the # of syscalls.
If your iowait is zero though the test is cpu bound and this
distinction is moot.

merlin

Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:
> >> beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
> >> --enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...
>
> > Got that right.  Last time I was going crazy after running pgbench with
> > those options and not having realized what I changed, I was getting a 50%
> > slowdown on results that way compared to without the debugging stuff.
> > Didn't realize it scaled with shared_buffers though.
>
> See AtEOXact_Buffers().  There are probably any number of other
> interesting scaling behaviors --- in my tests, AllocSetCheck() is
> normally a major cycle-eater if --enable-cassert is set, and that costs
> time proportional to the number of memory chunks allocated by the query.
>
> Currently the docs say that --enable-cassert
>
>          Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
>          many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
>          code development purposes, but the tests slow things down a little.
>
> Maybe we ought to put that more strongly --- s/a little/significantly/,
> perhaps?

Docs updated with attached patch, backpatched to 8.3.X.

Index: doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml
RCS file: /cvsroot/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml,v
retrieving revision 1.302
diff -c -c -r1.302 installation.sgml
*** doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml    17 Feb 2008 16:36:43 -0000    1.302
--- doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml    6 Mar 2008 21:36:39 -0000
***************
*** 1144,1157 ****
          <para>
           Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
           many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
!          code development purposes, but the tests slow things down a little.
           Also, having the tests turned on won't necessarily enhance the
           stability of your server!  The assertion checks are not categorized
           for severity, and so what might be a relatively harmless bug will
           still lead to server restarts if it triggers an assertion
!          failure.  Currently, this option is not recommended for
!          production use, but you should have it on for development work
!          or when running a beta version.
          </para>
         </listitem>
        </varlistentry>
--- 1144,1158 ----
          <para>
           Enables <firstterm>assertion</> checks in the server, which test for
           many <quote>cannot happen</> conditions.  This is invaluable for
!          code development purposes, but the tests can slow down the
!          server significantly.
           Also, having the tests turned on won't necessarily enhance the
           stability of your server!  The assertion checks are not categorized
           for severity, and so what might be a relatively harmless bug will
           still lead to server restarts if it triggers an assertion
!          failure.  This option is not recommended for production use, but