Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances
Date
Re: More shared buffers causes lower performances  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007, Guillaume Smet wrote:

> beta RPMs are by default compiled with --enable-debug and
> --enable-cassert which doesn't help them to fly fast...

Got that right.  Last time I was going crazy after running pgbench with
those options and not having realized what I changed, I was getting a 50%
slowdown on results that way compared to without the debugging stuff.
Didn't realize it scaled with shared_buffers though.

> Really sorry for the noise

Nothing to be sorry for, I know I wasn't aware the beta RPMs were compiled
that way.  Probably need to put a disclaimer about that fact *somewhere*.
It's unfortunate for you, but I know I'm glad you run into it rather than
someone who wouldn't have followed through to figure out the cause.