Postgresql.conf Settings

From
smiley2211
Date:
Hello all,

What are the ideal settings for values in this postgresql.conf file???  I
have tried so many parameter changes but I still can not get the 8.1.4
version to perform as well as the 7.x version...what do others have their
postgrsql.conf file values set to???

Are there any known performance degrades going from 7.x to 8.1 versions???

Thanks...Michelle

Re: Postgresql.conf Settings

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On 11/4/07, smiley2211 <smiley2211@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> What are the ideal settings for values in this postgresql.conf file???  I
> have tried so many parameter changes but I still can not get the 8.1.4
> version to perform as well as the 7.x version...what do others have their
> postgrsql.conf file values set to???

Without knowing what query you're trying to run it's hard to say.

Can you post the explain analyze output for the query in both 7.x and 8.1?

> Are there any known performance degrades going from 7.x to 8.1 versions???

The only one I know of is if you try to do something like:

select * from table1 t1 left join table2 t2 on (t1.id=t2.id) where t2.id is null

Re: Postgresql.conf Settings

From
smiley2211
Date:
Scott,

Thanks for responding...I've posted all that information before and tried
all the suggestions but the query is still taking over 1 hour to complete
:(...I just wanted to possible hear what others have say 'effective cache',
'shared_buffers' etc set to...

Thanks...Marsha

Scott Marlowe-2 wrote:

> On 11/4/07, smiley2211 <smiley2211@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> What are the ideal settings for values in this postgresql.conf file???  I
>> have tried so many parameter changes but I still can not get the 8.1.4
>> version to perform as well as the 7.x version...what do others have their
>> postgrsql.conf file values set to???
>
> Without knowing what query you're trying to run it's hard to say.
>
> Can you post the explain analyze output for the query in both 7.x and 8.1?
>
>> Are there any known performance degrades going from 7.x to 8.1
>> versions???
>
> The only one I know of is if you try to do something like:
>
> select * from table1 t1 left join table2 t2 on (t1.id=t2.id) where t2.id
> is null

Re: Postgresql.conf Settings

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
smiley2211 wrote:
> What are the ideal settings for values in this postgresql.conf file???  I
> have tried so many parameter changes but I still can not get the 8.1.4
> version to perform as well as the 7.x version...what do others have their
> postgrsql.conf file values set to???
>
> Are there any known performance degrades going from 7.x to 8.1 versions???

Before spending any more time on tuning, upgrade at the very least to
the latest 8.1.X version. Or since you're upgrading anyway, why not
upgrade to latest 8.2.X version while you're at it. There's been plenty
of planner changes between those releases.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas