disk filling up

From
"Brandon Shalton"
Date:
Hello all,

My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has consumed
all 200gig of that drive.

All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at some
point a bigger drive would just get consumed.

How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB setup
just to hold the ./base/*  folder

Re: disk filling up

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> Hello all,
>
> My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has consumed
> all 200gig of that drive.
>
> All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at some
> point a bigger drive would just get consumed.
>
> How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB setup
> just to hold the ./base/*  folder

Are you vacuuming regularly?  What is the output of vacuum verbose.

If table bloat (fixed by correctly vacuuming) is not your problem, then
you either need to implement a data expiration policy to get rid of
old data, or increase the amount of storage to accommodate the data
you want to keep.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

Re: disk filling up

From
Mark Lewis
Date:
On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 09:18 -0700, Brandon Shalton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has consumed
> all 200gig of that drive.
>
> All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at some
> point a bigger drive would just get consumed.
>
> How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB setup
> just to hold the ./base/*  folder

Ummm, don't put more 200G worth of data in there?  :)

You didn't give us any information about what you're using the database
for, why you think that using 200G is excessive, what version of the
database you're running, stuff like that.  So really there's nothing
that we can help you out with, except for the normal "read the manual
about vacuuming and make sure you're doing it" newbie answer.

-- Mark

Re: disk filling up

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Brandon Shalton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has
> consumed all 200gig of that drive.
>
> All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at some
> point a bigger drive would just get consumed.
>
> How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB
> setup just to hold the ./base/*  folder

1. Don't have two hundred gig of data.
2. Sounds more like you don't have 200G of data and you aren't vacuuming
enough.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: disk filling up

From
Mark Kirkwood
Date:
Brandon Shalton wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has
> consumed all 200gig of that drive.
>
> All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at
> some point a bigger drive would just get consumed.
>
> How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB
> setup just to hold the ./base/*  folder

Two things come to mind:

- Vacuum as already mentioned by others.
- Temporary sort files from queries needing to sort massive amounts of data.

But you need to help us out by supplying more info...

Cheers

Mark

Re: disk filling up

From
Yudhvir Singh Sidhu
Date:
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Brandon Shalton wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has
>> consumed all 200gig of that drive.
>>
>> All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at
>> some point a bigger drive would just get consumed.
>>
>> How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB
>> setup just to hold the ./base/*  folder
>>

> Two things come to mind:
>
> - Vacuum as already mentioned by others.
> - Temporary sort files from queries needing to sort massive amounts of
> data.
>
> But you need to help us out by supplying more info...
>
> Cheers
>
> Mark

Try fsck-ing and do a df before and after and tell us if that makes a
difference.

Yudhvir

Re: disk filling up

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
On 7/26/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Brandon Shalton wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > My hard disk is filling up in the /base  directory  to where it has
> > consumed all 200gig of that drive.
> >
> > All the posts that i see keep saying move to a bigger drive, but at some
> > point a bigger drive would just get consumed.
> >
> > How can i keep the disk from filling up other than get like a half TB
> > setup just to hold the ./base/*  folder
>
> 1. Don't have two hundred gig of data.
> 2. Sounds more like you don't have 200G of data and you aren't vacuuming
> enough.

third (but unlikely) possibility is there are various dropped tables,
etc which need to be deleted but there are stale postgresql processes
holding on to the fd.  This would only happen following a postmaster
crash or some other bizarre scenario, but i've seen it on production
box.  symptoms are du and df reporting different numbers.  solutions
is easy: reboot or stop postmaster and kill all postgresql processes
(or, if you are brave, do it with dbms running and nail all processes
not following postmaster, do a ps axf [on linux] to see them).

merlin

Re: disk filling up

Date:
"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> third (but unlikely) possibility is there are various dropped tables,
> etc which need to be deleted but there are stale postgresql processes
> holding on to the fd.  This would only happen following a postmaster
> crash or some other bizarre scenario, but i've seen it on production
> box.

Brent Reid reported something similar in bug #3483 but I'm still quite
unclear how it'd happen in any realistic scenario.  Can you create a
test case?

            regards, tom lane

Re: disk filling up

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com> writes:
> > third (but unlikely) possibility is there are various dropped tables,
> > etc which need to be deleted but there are stale postgresql processes
> > holding on to the fd.  This would only happen following a postmaster
> > crash or some other bizarre scenario, but i've seen it on production
> > box.
>
> Brent Reid reported something similar in bug #3483 but I'm still quite
> unclear how it'd happen in any realistic scenario.  Can you create a
> test case?

No, but I've seen it on a production 8.1 box (once).  I didn't
actually cause the problem, just cleaned it up.  It was unnoticed for
several weeks/months because the postmaster processes showed up
without a controlling tty.

My best guess is the postmaster was killed improperly out of haste
during a maintenance window, or possibly an out of disk space related
issue at an earlier point.  I never really considered that it was a
postgresql problem.

merlin