Determining server load from client

From
Dan Harris
Date:
I've found that it would be helpful to be able to tell how busy my
dedicated PG server is ( Linux 2.6 kernel, v8.0.3 currently ) before
pounding it with some OLAP-type queries.  Specifically, I have a
multi-threaded client program that needs to run several thousand
sequential queries.  I broke it into threads to take advantage of the
multi-core architecture of the server hardware.  It would be very nice
if I could check the load of the server at certain intervals to throttle
the number of concurrent queries and mitigate load problems when other
processes might be already inducing a significant load.

I have seen some other nice back-end things exposed through PG functions
( e.g. database size on disk ) and wondered if there was anything
applicable to this.  Even if it can't return the load average proper, is
there anything else in the pg_* tables that might give me a clue how
"busy" the server is for a period of time?

I've thought about allowing an ssh login without a keyphrase to log in
and capture it.  But, the client process is running as an apache user.
Giving the apache user a shell login to the DB box does not seem like a
smart idea for obvious security reasons...

So far, that's all I can come up with, other than a dedicated socket
server daemon on the DB machine to do it.

Any creative ideas are welcomed :)

Thanks

-Dan

Re: Determining server load from client

From
"Craig A. James"
Date:
Dan Harris wrote:
> I've found that it would be helpful to be able to tell how busy my
> dedicated PG server is ...
>
> I have seen some other nice back-end things exposed through PG functions
> ( e.g. database size on disk ) and wondered if there was anything
> applicable to this.

I'd write a simple pg-perl function to do this.  You can access operating-system calls to find out the system's load.
Butnotice that you need "Untrusted Perl" to do this, so you can only do it on a system where you trust every
applicationthat connects to your database.  Something like this:

create or replace function get_stats()
  returns text as '
  open(STAT, "</proc/stat");
  my @stats = <STAT>;
  close STAT;
  return join("", @stats);
' language plperlu;

See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/plperl-trusted.html

Craig

Re: Determining server load from client

From
Joe Healy
Date:
(forgot to send to list)
Dan Harris wrote:
> architecture of the server hardware.  It would be very nice if I could
> check the load of the server at certain intervals to throttle the
> number of concurrent queries and mitigate load problems when other
> processes might be already inducing a significant load.
>
> I have seen some other nice back-end things exposed through PG
> functions ( e.g. database size on disk ) and wondered if there was
> anything applicable to this.  Even if it can't return the load average
> proper, is there anything else in the pg_* tables that might give me a
> clue how "busy" the server is for a period of time?

I have installed munin (http://munin.projects.linpro.no/) on a few
systems. This lets you look at graphs of system resources/load etc. I
have also added python scripts which do sample queries to let me know if
performance/index size is changing dramatically. I have attached an
example script.

Hope that helps,

Joe

#! /usr/bin/python
import psycopg
import sys

def fixName(name):
    return name[:19]

if len(sys.argv) > 1 and sys.argv[1] == "config":
    print """graph_title Postgresql Index Sizes
graph_vlabel Mb"""

    con = psycopg.connect("host=xxx user=xxx dbname=xxx password=xxx")
    cur = con.cursor()

    cur.execute("select relname, relpages from pg_class where relowner > 10 and relkind='i' and relpages > 256 order by
reltuplesdesc;")
    results = cur.fetchall()
    for name, pages in results:
        print "%s.label %s" % (fixName(name), name)

else:
    con = psycopg.connect("host=xxx user=xxx dbname=xxx password=xxx")
    cur = con.cursor()

    cur.execute("select relname, relpages from pg_class where relowner > 10 and relkind='i' and relpages > 256 order by
reltuplesdesc;")
    results = cur.fetchall()

    for name, pages in results:
        print "%s.value %.2f" % (name[:19], pages*8.0/1024.0)

Date:
Dan Harris wrote:
> I've found that it would be helpful to be able to tell how busy my
> dedicated PG server is ( Linux 2.6 kernel, v8.0.3 currently ) before
> pounding it with some OLAP-type queries.
..snip

Thank you all for your great ideas!  I'm going to try the perl function
as that seems like a very elegant way of doing it.

-Dan

Re: Determining server load from client

From
"Jim Buttafuoco"
Date:
Dan

Use the following plperlu function

create or replace function LoadAVG()
returns record
as
$$
use Sys::Statistics::Linux::LoadAVG;
my $lxs = new Sys::Statistics::Linux::LoadAVG;
my $stats = $lxs->get;
return $stats;

$$
language plperlu;

select * from LoadAVg() as (avg_1 float,avg_5 float,avg_15 float);

The Sys::Statistics::Linux has all kind of info (from the /proc) file
system.

Jim

[...]

OT: Munin (was Re: Determining server load from client)

From
Richard Huxton
Joe Healy wrote:
> (forgot to send to list)
> Dan Harris wrote:
>> architecture of the server hardware.  It would be very nice if I could
>> check the load of the server at certain intervals to throttle the
>> number of concurrent queries and mitigate load problems when other
>> processes might be already inducing a significant load.

> I have installed munin (http://munin.projects.linpro.no/) on a few
> systems. This lets you look at graphs of system resources/load etc. I
> have also added python scripts which do sample queries to let me know if
> performance/index size is changing dramatically. I have attached an
> example script.

For general monitoring of a handful of servers, I've been impressed with
munin. It's very simple to get it running and write your own plugins.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: OT: Munin (was Re: Determining server load from client)

From
Tobias Brox
Date:
I have my postgres munin monitoring script at
http://oppetid.no/~tobixen/pg_activity.munin.txt (had to suffix it with
.txt to make the local apache happy).

I would like to see what others have done as well.

Date:
Tobias Brox wrote:
> I have my postgres munin monitoring script at
> http://oppetid.no/~tobixen/pg_activity.munin.txt (had to suffix it with
> .txt to make the local apache happy).
>
> I would like to see what others have done as well.

Well, I use Perl rather than shell, but that's just me.

The main difference is that although I downloaded a couple of simple
pg-monitoring scripts from the web, I've concentrated on monitoring the
application(s) instead. Things like:
  - number of news items posted
  - searches run
  - logins, logouts

The main limitation with it for me is the fixed 5-min time interval. It
provides a slight irritation that I've got hourly/daily cron jobs that
are being monitored continually.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: OT: Munin (was Re: Determining server load from client)

From
Erik Jones