Re: OT: Munin (was Re: Determining server load from client) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: OT: Munin (was Re: Determining server load from client)
Date
List pgsql-performance
CAJ CAJ wrote:

> On 3/21/07, *Erik Jones* <erik@myemma.com <mailto:erik@myemma.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Mar 21, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Tobias Brox wrote:
>
>>     [Erik Jones - Wed at 09:31:48AM -0500]
>>>     I use cacti (http://cacti.net) which does the same thing that
>>>     munin
>>>     does but in php instead.  Here's what I use to db stats to it
>>>     (again,
>>>     php):
>>
>>     I haven't tried cacti, but our sysadm has done a little bit of
>>     research
>>     and concluded "cacti is better".  Maybe some day we'll move over.
>>
>>     Munin is generating all the graphs statically every fifth minute,
>>     while
>>     cacti generates them on demand as far as I've understood.  The munin
>>     approach is pretty bloat, since one usually would watch the graphs
>>     much
>>     more seldom than what they are generated (at least, we do).
>>     That's not
>>     really an argument since CPU is cheap nowadays - but a real
>>     argument is
>>     that the munin approach is less flexible.  One would like to
>>     adjust the
>>     graph (like, min/max values for both axis) while watching quite some
>>     times.
>
>     Well, by "default", Cacti polls all of the data sources you've set
>     up every five minutes as well as that's how the docs instruct you to
>     set up the cron job for the poller.  However, with a little
>     understanding of how the rrdtool rras work, you could definitely
>     poll more often and simply edit the existing rras and datasources to
>     expect that or create new ones.  And, yes, the graph customization
>     is pretty cool although for the most part the just map what's
>     available from the rrdtool graph functionality.  If you do decide to
>     set up Cacti I suggest you go straight to the faq section of the
>     manual and read the part about going from a simple script to a
>     graph.  The main manual is almost entirely centered on the built-in
>     networking ( e.g. snmp) data sources and, as such, doesn't do much
>     for explaining how to set up other data sources.
>

> Has anyone had experience setting up something similar with Nagios? We
> monitor servers using nagios and not having to install additional
> software (cacti/munin) for postgres resource usage monitoring would be
> great.

a lot of nagios plugins can supply performance data in addition to the
OK/WARNING/CRITICAL state information - there are a number of solutions
out there that can take that information and graph it on a per
hosts/server base automatically - examples for such addons are
nagiosgrapher and n2rrd(or look at www.nagiosexchange.org it has a large
number of addons listed).

Stefan