database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc...

From
Matteo Sgalaberni
Date:
Hi, probably this is a very frequenfly question... I read archivies of
this list but I didn't found a finally solution for this aspect. I'll
explain my situation.

PSQL version 8.1.3
configuration of fsm,etcc default
autovacuum and statistics activated

22 daemons that have a persistent connection to this database(all
connection are in "idle"(no transaction opened).

this is the vacuum output of a table that it's updated frequently:
database=# VACUUM ANALYZE verbose cliente;
INFO:  vacuuming "public.cliente"
INFO:  index "cliente_pkey" now contains 29931 row versions in 88 pages
DETAIL:  0 index pages have been deleted, 0 are currently reusable.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO:  index "cliente_login_key" now contains 29931 row versions in 165 pages
DETAIL:  0 index pages have been deleted, 0 are currently reusable.
CPU 0.01s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO:  "cliente": found 0 removable, 29931 nonremovable row versions in 559 pages
DETAIL:  29398 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
There were 9 unused item pointers.
0 pages are entirely empty.
CPU 0.01s/0.01u sec elapsed 0.01 sec.
INFO:  vacuuming "pg_toast.pg_toast_370357"
INFO:  index "pg_toast_370357_index" now contains 0 row versions in 1 pages
DETAIL:  0 index pages have been deleted, 0 are currently reusable.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO:  "pg_toast_370357": found 0 removable, 0 nonremovable row versions in 0 pages
DETAIL:  0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
There were 0 unused item pointers.
0 pages are entirely empty.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO:  analyzing "public.cliente"
INFO:  "cliente": scanned 559 of 559 pages, containing 533 live rows and 29398 dead rows; 533 rows in sample, 533
estimatedtotal rows
VACUUM

database=# SELECT * from  pgstattuple('cliente');
 table_len | tuple_count | tuple_len | tuple_percent | dead_tuple_count | dead_tuple_len | dead_tuple_percent |
free_space| free_percent

-----------+-------------+-----------+---------------+------------------+----------------+--------------------+------------+--------------
   4579328 |         533 |     84522 |          1.85 |            29398 |        4279592 |              93.45 |
41852|         0.91
(1 row)

The performance of this table it's degraded now and autovacuum/vacuum full
don't remove these dead tuples. Only if I do a CLUSTER of the table the tuples
are removed.

The same problem is on other very trafficated tables.

I think that the problems probably are:
- tune the value of my fsm/etc settings in postgresql.conf but i don't
understdand how to tune it correctly.
- the persistent connections to this db conflict with the
autovacuum but i don't understand why. there are no transaction opened,
only connections in "idle" state.

Tell me what do you think...

Regards,

Matteo

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc...

Date:
Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> 22 daemons that have a persistent connection to this database(all
> connection are in "idle"(no transaction opened).

You may think that, but you are wrong.

> INFO:  "cliente": found 0 removable, 29931 nonremovable row versions in 559 pages
> DETAIL:  29398 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.

The only way the above can happen is if there are some fairly old open
transactions.  Looking in pg_stat_activity might help you identify the
culprit(s).

            regards, tom lane

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc...

From
Patrick Hatcher
Date:
Are there open transactions on the table in question?  We had the same
issue.  A 100K row table was so bloated that the system thought there was
1M rows.  We had many <IDLE> transaction that we noticed in TOP, but since
we could not track down which process or user was holding the table we had
to restart Pg.  Once restarted we were able to do a VACUUM FULL and this
took care of the issue.
hth
Patrick Hatcher
Development Manager  Analytics/MIO
Macys.com

             Matteo Sgalaberni
             <sgala@sgala.com>
             pgsql-performance         pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
             -owner@postgresql                                          cc
             .org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [PERFORM] database bloat,non
             09/01/06 05:39 AM         removovable rows, slow query etc...

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc...

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Tom and Matteo,

Tom Lane wrote:
> Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
>> 22 daemons that have a persistent connection to this database(all
>> connection are in "idle"(no transaction opened).
>
> You may think that, but you are wrong.
>
>> INFO:  "cliente": found 0 removable, 29931 nonremovable row versions in 559 pages
>> DETAIL:  29398 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
>
> The only way the above can happen is if there are some fairly old open
> transactions.  Looking in pg_stat_activity might help you identify the
> culprit(s).

Another possibility might be an outstanding two-phase-commit transaction.

HTH,
Markus

Date:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:43:30AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> > 22 daemons that have a persistent connection to this database(all
> > connection are in "idle"(no transaction opened).
>
> You may think that, but you are wrong.
Ok. I stopped all clients. No connections to this database. Only psql
console. Made vacuum
full/freeze all cominations... again dead rows non removable. Nothing
changed as in production.

this is my postgres config:

http://pastebin.com/781480

I read a lot about bloat tables related to
not appropriate fsm settings... can be the mine a case of
misconfiguration of these parameters?

Thx

Date:
Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> Ok. I stopped all clients. No connections to this database.

When you say "this database", do you mean the whole postmaster cluster,
or just the one database?  Open transactions in other databases of the
same cluster can be a problem.

            regards, tom lane

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 12:28, Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:43:30AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> > > 22 daemons that have a persistent connection to this database(all
> > > connection are in "idle"(no transaction opened).
> >
> > You may think that, but you are wrong.
> Ok. I stopped all clients. No connections to this database. Only psql
> console. Made vacuum
> full/freeze all cominations... again dead rows non removable. Nothing
> changed as in production.
>
> this is my postgres config:
>
> http://pastebin.com/781480
>
> I read a lot about bloat tables related to
> not appropriate fsm settings... can be the mine a case of
> misconfiguration of these parameters?

Something is holding a lock, somewhere.

Have you tried shutting down and restarting the database to see if you
can get it to vacuum that way?  You're not in a transaction in psql,
right?

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc... [RESOLVED]

From
Matteo Sgalaberni
Date:
On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:35:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> > Ok. I stopped all clients. No connections to this database.
>
> When you say "this database", do you mean the whole postmaster cluster,
> or just the one database?  Open transactions in other databases of the
> same cluster can be a problem.

AGH!!!! AGHR!!!

A my collegue JDBC application that stay in "idle intransaction" 24h/24h
(but in another database, non in the bloated-reported db...)!

I killed it now(jdbc app).

vacuumed full and PG have cleaned all!! So if I have a idle transaction in
one database of the cluster it "lock" vacuums of all databases of the cluster.

Good to know this...but why this behaviour? it'is lovely...:)

Tom , can you explain why?...

Thanks a lot!!

Matteo

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc... [RESOLVED]

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Matteo,

On 2-Sep-06, at 4:37 AM, Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:35:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
>>> Ok. I stopped all clients. No connections to this database.
>>
>> When you say "this database", do you mean the whole postmaster
>> cluster,
>> or just the one database?  Open transactions in other databases of
>> the
>> same cluster can be a problem.
>>
> AGH!!!! AGHR!!!
>
> A my collegue JDBC application that stay in "idle intransaction"
> 24h/24h
> (but in another database, non in the bloated-reported db...)!
>
> I killed it now(jdbc app).
this behaviour has been fixed in later versions of the jdbc driver

Date:
Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> Good to know this...but why this behaviour? it'is lovely...:)

Open transactions are tracked across the whole cluster.  This is
necessary when vacuuming shared catalogs.  In principle we could
track per-database xmin values as well, but the distributed overhead
that'd be added to *every* GetSnapshotData call is a bit worrisome.

            regards, tom lane

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc...

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Matteo,

Matteo Sgalaberni wrote:

> A my collegue JDBC application that stay in "idle intransaction" 24h/24h

Just a little note: For most applications, this can be fixed updating
the JDBC driver. Old versions had the behaviour of auto-opening a new
backend transaction on commit/rollback, whereas new versions delay that
until the first statement in the new transaction is sent.

This won't fix applications that do a select and then sit idle for days
before committing/rolling back, however. Those should be fixed or use
autocommit mode.

> Good to know this...but why this behaviour? it'is lovely...:)
>
> Tom , can you explain why?...

It is because the transaction IDs are global per cluster.

Markus

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc... [RESOLVED]

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> > Good to know this...but why this behaviour? it'is lovely...:)
>
> Open transactions are tracked across the whole cluster.  This is
> necessary when vacuuming shared catalogs.  In principle we could
> track per-database xmin values as well, but the distributed overhead
> that'd be added to *every* GetSnapshotData call is a bit worrisome.

Don't we do that now in CVS (ie, in 8.2)?

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc... [RESOLVED]

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Gregory Stark wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>
> > Matteo Sgalaberni <sgala@sgala.com> writes:
> > > Good to know this...but why this behaviour? it'is lovely...:)
> >
> > Open transactions are tracked across the whole cluster.  This is
> > necessary when vacuuming shared catalogs.  In principle we could
> > track per-database xmin values as well, but the distributed overhead
> > that'd be added to *every* GetSnapshotData call is a bit worrisome.
>
> Don't we do that now in CVS (ie, in 8.2)?

No, we don't.

Date:

> Gregory Stark wrote:
> > Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> > > Open transactions are tracked across the whole cluster.  This is
> > > necessary when vacuuming shared catalogs.  In principle we could
> > > track per-database xmin values as well, but the distributed overhead
> > > that'd be added to *every* GetSnapshotData call is a bit worrisome.
> >
> > Don't we do that now in CVS (ie, in 8.2)?
>
> No, we don't.

I must be misunderstanding Tom's comment then.

What I'm referring to is lazy_vacuum_rel() calls vacuum_set_xid_limits with
the relisshared flag of the relation. vacuum_set_xid_limits passes that to
GetOldestXmin as the allDbs parameter. GetOldestXmin ignores transactions not
connected to the same database unless allDbs is true.

--
greg

Re: database bloat,non removovable rows, slow query etc... [RESOLVED]

Date:
Gregory Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> I must be misunderstanding Tom's comment then.

> What I'm referring to is lazy_vacuum_rel() calls vacuum_set_xid_limits with
> the relisshared flag of the relation. vacuum_set_xid_limits passes that to
> GetOldestXmin as the allDbs parameter. GetOldestXmin ignores transactions not
> connected to the same database unless allDbs is true.

The problem is the indirect effect of other backends' xmin values,
which are computed across all live backends.

In the current structure, it's hard to see how to fix this except
by making each backend compute and advertise both a global and
database-local xmin.  This seems a bit ugly.  Also, someone asked
recently whether we could avoid counting prepared xacts when figuring
vacuum cutoffs, which seems a fair question --- but again, how to do
that without doubling the number of advertised xmin values yet again?

I'm starting to feel that we've reached the limits of this system of
accounting for live XIDs, but I have no idea what the next step might
look like...

            regards, tom lane