3WARE Card performance boost?

From
"Benjamin Arai"
Date:
Hi,

I am currently doing large weekly updates with fsync=off.  My updates involves SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE and etc.  Setting fsync=off works for me since I take a complete backup before the weekly update and run a "sync" and "CHECKPOINT" after each weekly update has completed to ensure the data is all written to disk.

Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the update each week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to replace my current software RAID 1 configuration, am I going to see a very large improvement?  If so, what would be a ball park figure?

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
> Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the update
> each week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to
> replace my current software RAID 1 configuration, am I going to see a
> very large improvement?  If so, what would be a ball park figure?

Well that entirely depends on what level...

1. I would suggest LSI 150-6 not 3ware

   Why?

Because 3ware does not make a midrange card that has a battery backed
cache :). That is the only reason. 3ware makes good stuff.

So anyway... LSI150-6 with Battery Backed cache option. Put 6 drives
on it with a RAID 10 array, turn on write cache and you should have
a hauling drive.

Joshua D. Drake

> *Benjamin Arai*
> barai@cs.ucr.edu <mailto:barai@cs.ucr.edu>
> http://www.benjaminarai.com <http://www.benjaminarai.com/>

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
"Benjamin Arai"
My original plan was to buy a 3WARE card and put a 1GB of memory on it to improve writes but I am not sure if that is actually going to help the issue if fsync=off.

I am currently doing large weekly updates with fsync=off.  My updates involves SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE and etc.  Setting fsync=off works for me since I take a complete backup before the weekly update and run a "sync" and "CHECKPOINT" after each weekly update has completed to ensure the data is all written to disk.

Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the update each week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to replace my current software RAID 1 configuration, am I going to see a very large improvement?  If so, what would be a ball park figure?

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
Alex Turner
Date:
http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata2-9000.asp

Check their data sheet - the cards are BBU ready - all you have to do
is order a BBU
which you can from here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815999601

Alex.

On 1/18/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> > Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the update
> > each week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to
> > replace my current software RAID 1 configuration, am I going to see a
> > very large improvement?  If so, what would be a ball park figure?
>
> Well that entirely depends on what level...
>
> 1. I would suggest LSI 150-6 not 3ware
>
>    Why?
>
> Because 3ware does not make a midrange card that has a battery backed
> cache :). That is the only reason. 3ware makes good stuff.
>
> So anyway... LSI150-6 with Battery Backed cache option. Put 6 drives
> on it with a RAID 10 array, turn on write cache and you should have
> a hauling drive.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> > *Benjamin Arai*
> > barai@cs.ucr.edu <mailto:barai@cs.ucr.edu>
> > http://www.benjaminarai.com <http://www.benjaminarai.com/>
> >

> --
> The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
> Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
> Co-Authors: plPHP, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
Alex Turner
Date:
A 3ware card will re-order your writes to put them more in disk order,
which will probably improve performance a bit, but just going from a
software RAID 1 to a hardware RAID 1, I would not imagine that you
will see much of a performance boost.  Really to get better
performance you will need to add more drives, or faster drives.  If
you are currently running 7200 RPM consumer drives, going to a
10000RPM WD Raptor drive will probably increase performance by about
30%, again not all that much.

Alex

On 1/18/06, Benjamin Arai <barai@cs.ucr.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently doing large weekly updates with fsync=off.  My updates
> involves SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE and etc.  Setting fsync=off works for me
> since I take a complete backup before the weekly update and run a "sync" and
> "CHECKPOINT" after each weekly update has completed to ensure the data is
> all written to disk.
>
> Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the update each
> week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to replace my
> current software RAID 1 configuration, am I going to see a very large
> improvement?  If so, what would be a ball park figure?
>

> Benjamin Arai
> barai@cs.ucr.edu
> http://www.benjaminarai.com

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
Joost Kraaijeveld
Date:
On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 10:26 -0800, Benjamin Arai wrote:
> My original plan was to buy a 3WARE card and put a 1GB of memory on it
> to improve writes but I am not sure if that is actually going to help
> the issue if fsync=off.
My experience with a 3Ware 9500S-8 card are rather disappointing,
especially the write performance of the card, which is extremely poor.
Reading is OK.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
William Yu
Date:
Benjamin Arai wrote:
> Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the update
> each week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to
> replace my current software RAID 1 configuration, am I going to see a
> very large improvement?  If so, what would be a ball park figure?

The key is getting a card with the ability to upgrade the onboard ram.

Our previous setup was a LSI MegaRAID 320-1 (128MB), 4xRAID10,
fsync=off. Replaced it with a ARC-1170 (1GB) w/ 24x7200RPM SATA2 drives
(split into 3 8-drive RAID6 arrays) and performance for us is through
the ceiling.

For OLTP type updates, we've gotten about +80% increase. For massive
1-statement updates, performance increase is in the +triple digits.

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
"Steinar H. Gunderson"
Date:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:58:09PM -0800, William Yu wrote:
> The key is getting a card with the ability to upgrade the onboard ram.
>
> Our previous setup was a LSI MegaRAID 320-1 (128MB), 4xRAID10,
> fsync=off. Replaced it with a ARC-1170 (1GB) w/ 24x7200RPM SATA2 drives
> (split into 3 8-drive RAID6 arrays) and performance for us is through
> the ceiling.

Well, the fact that you went from four to 24 disks would perhaps be a bigger
factor than the amount of RAM...

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Date:
Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:58:09PM -0800, William Yu wrote:
>> The key is getting a card with the ability to upgrade the onboard ram.
>>
>> Our previous setup was a LSI MegaRAID 320-1 (128MB), 4xRAID10,
>> fsync=off. Replaced it with a ARC-1170 (1GB) w/ 24x7200RPM SATA2 drives
>> (split into 3 8-drive RAID6 arrays) and performance for us is through
>> the ceiling.
>
> Well, the fact that you went from four to 24 disks would perhaps be a bigger
> factor than the amount of RAM...
>
> /* Steinar */

Actually no. Our 2xOpteron 244 server is NOT fast enough to drive an
array this large. That's why we had to split it up into 3 different
arrays. I tried all different RAID configs and once past about 8 drives,
I got the same performance no matter what because the CPU was pegged at
100%. Right now, 2 of the arrays are just mirroring each other because
we can't seem utilize the performance right now. (Also protects against
cabling/power supply issues as we're using 3 seperate external enclosures.)

The 1GB RAM is much bigger because it almost completely hides the write
activity. Looking at iostat while all our jobs are running, there's
almost no disk activity. If I manually type "sync", I see 1 big
250MB-500MB write storm for 2 seconds but otherwise, writes just slowly
dribble out to disk.

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:24:17AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Because 3ware does not make a midrange card that has a battery backed
> cache :). That is the only reason. 3ware makes good stuff.

Why worry about battery-backup if he's running with fsync off?

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
Vivek Khera
Date:
On Jan 18, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Benjamin Arai wrote:

> Obviously, I have done this to improve write performance for the
> update each
> week.  My question is if I install a 3ware or similar card to
> replace my

I'll bet that if you increase your checkpoint_segments (and
corresponding timeout value) to something in the 10's or higher it
will help you a lot.

Re: 3WARE Card performance boost?

From
Alex Turner
Date:
He's talking about RAID 1 here, not a gargantuan RAID 6.  Onboard RAM
on the controller card is going to make very little difference.  All
it will do is allow the card to re-order writes to a point (not all
cards even do this).

Alex.