How to revoke a password

From
"Bailey, Larry"
Date:
I created a user with a password. That newly created user now have
tables and indexes. I want to ALTER that user to exclude the password.
How is this accomplished without dropping and recreating the users?

Larry Bailey
Sr. Oracle DBA
First American Real Estate Solution
(714) 701-3347
lbailey@firstam.com
This message contains confidential information intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that
is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby
notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by
mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and
delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.                                       FADLD Tag

Re: How to revoke a password

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bailey, Larry wrote:
> I created a user with a password. That newly created user now have
> tables and indexes. I want to ALTER that user to exclude the password.
> How is this accomplished without dropping and recreating the users?

Never tried to go backwards before but:

alter user foo with encrypted password '';

But as I look at pg_shadow there is still a hash...

You could do:

update pg_shadow set passwd = '' where usename = 'foo';

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Re: How to revoke a password

From
"Bailey, Larry"
Date:
Thanks but it is still prompting for a password.

Larry Bailey
Sr. Oracle DBA
First American Real Estate Solution
(714) 701-3347
lbailey@firstam.com
> I created a user with a password. That newly created user now have
> tables and indexes. I want to ALTER that user to exclude the password.
> How is this accomplished without dropping and recreating the users?

Never tried to go backwards before but:

alter user foo with encrypted password '';

But as I look at pg_shadow there is still a hash...

You could do:

update pg_shadow set passwd = '' where usename = 'foo';

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Larry Bailey
> Sr. Oracle DBA
> First American Real Estate Solution
> (714) 701-3347
> lbailey@firstam.com
> This message contains confidential information intended only for the
> use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that
> is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person
> responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby
> notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this
> message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by
> mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and
> delete the original message immediately thereafter.
>
> Thank you.                                       FADLD Tag
>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting Home of
PostgreSQL Replicator, plPHP, plPerlNG and pgPHPToolkit
http://www.commandprompt.com / http://www.postgresql.org

Re: How to revoke a password

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:09:48PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Bailey, Larry wrote:
> >I created a user with a password. That newly created user now have
> >tables and indexes. I want to ALTER that user to exclude the password.
> >How is this accomplished without dropping and recreating the users?
>
> Never tried to go backwards before but:
>
> alter user foo with encrypted password '';

I think you use NULL as password to ALTER USER.

"Y eso te lo doy firmado con mis lágrimas" (Fiebre del Loco)

Re: How to revoke a password

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Bailey, Larry wrote:
> Thanks but it is still prompting for a password.

Does your pg_hba.conf require a password?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Larry Bailey
> Sr. Oracle DBA
> First American Real Estate Solution
> (714) 701-3347
> lbailey@firstam.com

Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:16:27PM -0700, Bailey, Larry wrote:

> Thanks but it is still prompting for a password.

Let's back up a bit: what problem are you trying to solve?  Do you
want the user to be able to log in without entering a password?  If
so then see "Client Authentication" in the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/client-authentication.html

If you're trying to do something else then please elaborate, as
it's not clear what you mean by "I want to ALTER that user to exclude
the password."

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/