Hi all,

  Il get this strange problem when deleting rows from a Java program.
Sometime (For what I noticed it's not all the time) the server take
almost forever to delete rows from table.

Here It takes 20 minutes to delete the IC table.

Java logs:
INFO  [Thread-386] (Dao.java:227)  2005-03-15 15:38:34,754 : Execution
SQL file: resources/ukConfiguration/reset_application.sql
DELETE FROM YR
INFO  [Thread-386] (Dao.java:227)  2005-03-15 15:38:34,964 : Execution
SQL file: resources/inventory/item/reset_application.sql
DELETE FROM IC
INFO  [Thread-386] (Dao.java:227)  2005-03-15 15:58:45,072 : Execution
SQL file: resources/ukResource/reset_application.sql
DELETE FROM RA

 I get this problem on my dev (Windows/7.4/Cygwin) environment.  But now
I see that it's also have this problem on my production env.  Yes I
tought I was maybe just a cygwin/Windows problem .. apparently not :-((((

On my dev I can see the Postgresql related process running at almost 50%
of CPU usage for all the time.  So I suppose it's something inside
Postgresql.  I rememeber having tried to delete the content of my table
(IC) from PgAdminIII and I took couples of seconds!!! Not minutes.  So
the process don't jam but take time .. any Idea what postgresql is doing
during this time??

If you have any idea on what the problem could be... I really appreciate
it.

Thanks for any help!
/David

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 04:24:17PM -0500, David Gagnon wrote:

>  Il get this strange problem when deleting rows from a Java program.
> Sometime (For what I noticed it's not all the time) the server take
> almost forever to delete rows from table.

Do other tables have foreign key references to the table you're
deleting from?  If so, are there indexes on the foreign key columns?

Do you have triggers or rules on the table?

Have you queried pg_locks during the long-lasting deletes to see
if the deleting transaction is waiting for a lock on something?

> I rememeber having tried to delete the content of my table (IC) from
> PgAdminIII and I took couples of seconds!!! Not minutes.

How many records did you delete in this case?  If there are foreign
key references, how many records were in the referencing tables?
How repeatable is the disparity in delete time?  A single test case
might have been done under different conditions, so it might not
mean much.  No offense intended, but "I remember" doesn't carry as
much weight as a documented example.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows.

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
>  I get this problem on my dev (Windows/7.4/Cygwin) environment.  But now
> I see that it's also have this problem on my production env.  Yes I
> tought I was maybe just a cygwin/Windows problem .. apparently not :-((((

Care to try again with logging enabled on the PostgreSQL side within the
development environment?

log_statement = true
log_duration = true
log_connections = on

Then run it via Java and from pgAdminIII and send us the two log
snippets as attachments?

Thanks.
--

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May

From
David Gagnon
Date:
Hi All,

I rerun the example with the debug info turned on in postgresl. As you
can see all dependent tables (that as foreign key on table IC) are
emptied before the DELETE FROM IC statement is issued.  For what I
understand the performance problem seem to came from those selects that
point back to IC ( LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x
WHERE "icnum" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x).  There are 6 of them.  I don't know
where they are comming from.  But if I want to delete the content of the
table (~10k) it may be long to those 6 selects for each deleted rows.
Why are those selects are there ?  Are those select really run on each
row deleted?

I'm running version 7.4.5 on cygwin.  I ran the same delete from
pgAdminIII and I got 945562ms for all the deletes within the same
transaction  .. (so I was wrong saying it took less time in
PgAdminIII... sorry about this).

Do you have any idea why those 6 selects are there?

Maybe I can drop indexes before deleting the content of the table.  I
didn't planned to because tables are quite small and it's more
complicated in my environment.  And tell me if I'm wrong but if I drop
indexed do I have to reload all my stored procedure (to reset the
planner related info)??? Remember having read that somewhere.. (was it
in the Postgresql General Bit newletter ...anyway)

Thanks for your help I really appréciate it :-)

/David

LOG:  duration: 144.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM YN
LOG:  duration: 30.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM YO
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yo" x WHERE "yotype" = $1
AND "yonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yn" x WHERE "ynyotype" =
$1 AND "ynyonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yo" x WHERE "yotype" = $1
AND "yonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yr" x WHERE "yryotype" =
$1 AND "yryonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  duration: 83.000 ms
LOG:  connection received: host=127.0.0.1 port=2196
LOG:  connection authorized: user=admin database=webCatalog
LOG:  statement: set datestyle to 'ISO'; select version(), case when
pg_encoding_to_char(1) = 'SQL_ASCII' then 'UNKNOWN' else
getdatabaseencoding() end;
LOG:  duration: 2.000 ms
LOG:  statement: set client_encoding = 'UNICODE'
LOG:  duration: 0.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IY
LOG:  duration: 71.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IA
LOG:  duration: 17.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IQ
LOG:  duration: 384.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IC
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iq" x WHERE "iqicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ia" x WHERE "iaicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iy" x WHERE "iyicnumo" =
$1 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iy" x WHERE "iyicnumr" =
$1 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."il" x WHERE "ilicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."bd" x WHERE "bdicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
>On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 04:24:17PM -0500, David Gagnon wrote:
>

>> Il get this strange problem when deleting rows from a Java program.
>>Sometime (For what I noticed it's not all the time) the server take
>>almost forever to delete rows from table.
>>

>Do other tables have foreign key references to the table you're
>deleting from?  If so, are there indexes on the foreign key columns?
>
>Do you have triggers or rules on the table?
>
>Have you queried pg_locks during the long-lasting deletes to see
>if the deleting transaction is waiting for a lock on something?
>

>>I rememeber having tried to delete the content of my table (IC) from
>>PgAdminIII and I took couples of seconds!!! Not minutes.
>>

>How many records did you delete in this case?  If there are foreign
>key references, how many records were in the referencing tables?
>How repeatable is the disparity in delete time?  A single test case
>might have been done under different conditions, so it might not
>mean much.  No offense intended, but "I remember" doesn't carry as
>much weight as a documented example.

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May

From
Dave Cramer

David Gagnon wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I rerun the example with the debug info turned on in postgresl. As you
> can see all dependent tables (that as foreign key on table IC) are
> emptied before the DELETE FROM IC statement is issued.  For what I
> understand the performance problem seem to came from those selects
> that point back to IC ( LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY
> "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x).  There are 6 of
> them.  I don't know where they are comming from.  But if I want to
> delete the content of the table (~10k) it may be long to those 6
> selects for each deleted rows.  Why are those selects are there ?  Are
> those select really run on each row deleted?

You are using hibernate. Hibernate is generating them to lock the tables.

> I'm running version 7.4.5 on cygwin.  I ran the same delete from
> pgAdminIII and I got 945562ms for all the deletes within the same
> transaction  .. (so I was wrong saying it took less time in
> PgAdminIII... sorry about this).
>
> Do you have any idea why those 6 selects are there?

Hibernate

--
Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May

From
David Gagnon
Date:
Hi,

I'm using ibatis. But in this particular case the sql statement come
from a plain ascii file and it's run by the Ibatis ScriptRunner class.
Beside the fact this class come from ibatis framework it's just plain
sql connection (I'm I wrong???).  Just to be sure, here is the code from
the class.  I must say that i run script that contains create table,
alter table, insert   statements with the same runner.

If I wrong please tell me .. I like to be wrong when the result is
eliminating a misunderstanding from my part :-)

Thanks for your help!

/David

 public void runScript(Connection conn, Reader reader)
            throws IOException, SQLException {
        StringBuffer command = null;
        try {
            LineNumberReader lineReader = new LineNumberReader(reader);
            String line = null;
            while ((line = lineReader.readLine()) != null) {
                if (command == null) {
                    command = new StringBuffer();
                }
                String trimmedLine = line.trim();
                if (trimmedLine.startsWith("--")) {
                    println(trimmedLine);
                    if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
                        log.debug(trimmedLine);
                    }
                } else if (trimmedLine.length() < 1 ||
trimmedLine.startsWith("//")) {
                    //Do nothing
                } else if (trimmedLine.endsWith(";")) {
                    command.append(line.substring(0,
line.lastIndexOf(";")));
                    command.append(" ");
                    Statement statement = conn.createStatement();

                    println(command);
                    if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
                        log.debug(command);
                    }

                    boolean hasResults = false;
                    if (stopOnError) {
                        hasResults = statement.execute(command.toString());
                    } else {
                        try {
                            statement.execute(command.toString());
                        } catch (SQLException e) {
                            e.fillInStackTrace();
                            printlnError("Error executing: " + command);
                            printlnError(e);
                        }
                    }

                    if (autoCommit && !conn.getAutoCommit()) {
                        conn.commit();
                    }

                    ResultSet rs = statement.getResultSet();
                    if (hasResults && rs != null) {
                        ResultSetMetaData md = rs.getMetaData();
                        int cols = md.getColumnCount();
                        for (int i = 0; i < cols; i++) {
                            String name = md.getColumnName(i);
                            print(name + "\t");
                        }
                        println("");
                        while (rs.next()) {
                            for (int i = 0; i < cols; i++) {
                                String value = rs.getString(i);
                                print(value + "\t");
                            }
                            println("");
                        }
                    }

                    command = null;
                    try {
                        statement.close();
                    } catch (Exception e) {
                        // Ignore to workaround a bug in Jakarta DBCP
//                        e.printStackTrace();
                    }
                    Thread.yield();
                } else {
                    command.append(line);
                    command.append(" ");
                }
            }
            if (!autoCommit) {
                conn.commit();
            }
        } catch (SQLException e) {
            e.fillInStackTrace();
            printlnError("Error executing: " + command);
            printlnError(e);
            log.error("Error executing: " + command, e);
            throw e;
        } catch (IOException e) {
            e.fillInStackTrace();
            printlnError("Error executing: " + command);
            printlnError(e);
            log.error("Error executing: " + command, e);
            throw e;
        } finally {
            conn.rollback();
            flush();
        }
    }

Dave Cramer wrote:

> [...]
>> DELETE FROM IQ;
>> DELETE FROM IC;
>>
>> Michael Fuhr wrote:

>>> Do other tables have foreign key references to the table you're
>>> deleting from?  If so, are there indexes on the foreign key columns?
>>>
>>> Do you have triggers or rules on the table?
>>>
>>> Have you queried pg_locks during the long-lasting deletes to see
>>> if the deleting transaction is waiting for a lock on something?

>>> How many records did you delete in this case?  If there are foreign
>>> key references, how many records were in the referencing tables?
>>> How repeatable is the disparity in delete time?  A single test case
>>> might have been done under different conditions, so it might not
>>> mean much.  No offense intended, but "I remember" doesn't carry as
>>> much weight as a documented example.

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May

Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:18:39AM -0500, David Gagnon wrote:

David,

> I rerun the example with the debug info turned on in postgresl. As you
> can see all dependent tables (that as foreign key on table IC) are
> emptied before the DELETE FROM IC statement is issued.  For what I
> understand the performance problem seem to came from those selects that
> point back to IC ( LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x
> WHERE "icnum" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x).  There are 6 of them.  I don't know
> where they are comming from.

I think they come from the FK checking code.  Try to run a VACUUM on the
IC table just before you delete from the other tables; that should make
the checking almost instantaneous (assuming the vacuuming actually
empties the table, which would depend on other transactions).

It would be better to be able to use TRUNCATE to do this, but in 8.0 you
can't if the tables have FKs.  8.1 is better on that regard ...

"Ninguna manada de bestias tiene una voz tan horrible como la humana" (Orual)

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Really? Postgres is generating these queries ???

Dave

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:18:39AM -0500, David Gagnon wrote:
>
>David,
>

>>I rerun the example with the debug info turned on in postgresl. As you
>>can see all dependent tables (that as foreign key on table IC) are
>>emptied before the DELETE FROM IC statement is issued.  For what I
>>understand the performance problem seem to came from those selects that
>>point back to IC ( LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x
>>WHERE "icnum" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x).  There are 6 of them.  I don't know
>>where they are comming from.
>>

>I think they come from the FK checking code.  Try to run a VACUUM on the
>IC table just before you delete from the other tables; that should make
>the checking almost instantaneous (assuming the vacuuming actually
>empties the table, which would depend on other transactions).
>
>It would be better to be able to use TRUNCATE to do this, but in 8.0 you
>can't if the tables have FKs.  8.1 is better on that regard ...

--
Dave Cramer
http://www.postgresintl.com
519 939 0336
ICQ#14675561

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May

From
David Gagnon
Date:
Hi

>>I rerun the example with the debug info turned on in postgresl. As you
>>can see all dependent tables (that as foreign key on table IC) are
>>emptied before the DELETE FROM IC statement is issued.  For what I
>>understand the performance problem seem to came from those selects that
>>point back to IC ( LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x
>>WHERE "icnum" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x).  There are 6 of them.  I don't know
>>where they are comming from.
>>

>I think they come from the FK checking code.  Try to run a VACUUM on the
>IC table just before you delete from the other tables; that should make
>the checking almost instantaneous (assuming the vacuuming actually
>empties the table, which would depend on other transactions).

I'll try to vaccum first before I start the delete to see if it change
something.

There is probably a good reason why but I don't understant why in a
foreign key check it need to check the date it points to.

You delete a row from table IC and do a check for integrity on tables
that have foreign keys on IC (make sense).  But why checking back IC?
I'm pretty sure there is a good reason but it seems to have a big
performance impact... In this case.  It means it's not really feasable
to empty the content of a schema.  The table has only 10k .. with a huge
table it's not feasible just because the checks on itselft!

Is someone can explain why there is this extra check?  Is that can be
fixed or improved?

Thanks for your help

/David

LOG:  duration: 144.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM YN
LOG:  duration: 30.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM YO
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yo" x WHERE "yotype" = $1
AND "yonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yn" x WHERE "ynyotype" =
$1 AND "ynyonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yo" x WHERE "yotype" = $1
AND "yonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yr" x WHERE "yryotype" =
$1 AND "yryonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  duration: 83.000 ms
LOG:  connection received: host=127.0.0.1 port=2196
LOG:  connection authorized: user=admin database=webCatalog
LOG:  statement: set datestyle to 'ISO'; select version(), case when
pg_encoding_to_char(1) = 'SQL_ASCII' then 'UNKNOWN' else
getdatabaseencoding() end;
LOG:  duration: 2.000 ms
LOG:  statement: set client_encoding = 'UNICODE'
LOG:  duration: 0.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IY
LOG:  duration: 71.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IA
LOG:  duration: 17.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IQ
LOG:  duration: 384.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IC
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iq" x WHERE "iqicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ia" x WHERE "iaicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iy" x WHERE "iyicnumo" =
$1 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iy" x WHERE "iyicnumr" =
$1 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."il" x WHERE "ilicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."bd" x WHERE "bdicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  duration: 656807.000 msMichael Fuhr wrote:

>It would be better to be able to use TRUNCATE to do this, but in 8.0 you
>can't if the tables have FKs.  8.1 is better on that regard ...

Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May

From
Stephan Szabo
Date:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, David Gagnon wrote:

> Hi
>
> >>I rerun the example with the debug info turned on in postgresl. As you
> >>can see all dependent tables (that as foreign key on table IC) are
> >>emptied before the DELETE FROM IC statement is issued.  For what I
> >>understand the performance problem seem to came from those selects that
> >>point back to IC ( LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x
> >>WHERE "icnum" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x).  There are 6 of them.  I don't know
> >>where they are comming from.
> >>

> >I think they come from the FK checking code.  Try to run a VACUUM on the
> >IC table just before you delete from the other tables; that should make
> >the checking almost instantaneous (assuming the vacuuming actually
> >empties the table, which would depend on other transactions).
> >

> I'll try to vaccum first before I start the delete to see if it change
> something.
>
> There is probably a good reason why but I don't understant why in a
> foreign key check it need to check the date it points to.
>
> You delete a row from table IC and do a check for integrity on tables
> that have foreign keys on IC (make sense).  But why checking back IC?

Because in the general case there might be another row which satisfies the
constraint added between the delete and the check.

Stephan Szabo wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, David Gagnon wrote:
>

>>Hi

>>>I think they come from the FK checking code.  Try to run a VACUUM on the
>>>IC table just before you delete from the other tables; that should make
>>>the checking almost instantaneous (assuming the vacuuming actually
>>>empties the table, which would depend on other transactions).
>>>

>>I'll try to vaccum first before I start the delete to see if it change
>>something.
>>
>>There is probably a good reason why but I don't understant why in a
>>foreign key check it need to check the date it points to.
>>
>>You delete a row from table IC and do a check for integrity on tables
>>that have foreign keys on IC (make sense).  But why checking back IC?
>>

>Because in the general case there might be another row which satisfies the
>constraint added between the delete and the check.

So it's means if I want to reset the shema with DELETE FROM Table
statemnets  I must first drop indexes, delete the data and then recreate
indexes and reload stored procedure.

Or I can suspend the foreign key check in the db right.  I saw something
on this.  Is that possible to do this from the JDBC interface?

Is there any other options I can consider ?

Thanks for your help!
/David

Date:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, David Gagnon wrote:

> Stephan Szabo wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, David Gagnon wrote:
> >

> >>Hi

> >>I'll try to vaccum first before I start the delete to see if it change
> >>something.
> >>
> >>There is probably a good reason why but I don't understant why in a
> >>foreign key check it need to check the date it points to.
> >>
> >>You delete a row from table IC and do a check for integrity on tables
> >>that have foreign keys on IC (make sense).  But why checking back IC?
> >>

> >Because in the general case there might be another row which satisfies the
> >constraint added between the delete and the check.
> >

> So it's means if I want to reset the shema with DELETE FROM Table
> statemnets  I must first drop indexes, delete the data and then recreate
> indexes and reload stored procedure.
>
> Or I can suspend the foreign key check in the db right.  I saw something
> on this.  Is that possible to do this from the JDBC interface?

I think you can remove the constraints and re-add them after which should
hopefully be fast (a vacuum on the tables after the delete and before the
add might help, but I'm not sure).  You could potentially defer the
constraint if it were deferrable, but I don't think that would help any.