Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Gagnon
Subject Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May
Date
Re: Performance problem on delete from for 10k rows. May
List pgsql-performance
Hi All,

I rerun the example with the debug info turned on in postgresl. As you
can see all dependent tables (that as foreign key on table IC) are
emptied before the DELETE FROM IC statement is issued.  For what I
understand the performance problem seem to came from those selects that
point back to IC ( LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x
WHERE "icnum" = $1 FOR UPDATE OF x).  There are 6 of them.  I don't know
where they are comming from.  But if I want to delete the content of the
table (~10k) it may be long to those 6 selects for each deleted rows.
Why are those selects are there ?  Are those select really run on each
row deleted?

I'm running version 7.4.5 on cygwin.  I ran the same delete from
pgAdminIII and I got 945562ms for all the deletes within the same
transaction  .. (so I was wrong saying it took less time in
PgAdminIII... sorry about this).

Do you have any idea why those 6 selects are there?

Maybe I can drop indexes before deleting the content of the table.  I
didn't planned to because tables are quite small and it's more
complicated in my environment.  And tell me if I'm wrong but if I drop
indexed do I have to reload all my stored procedure (to reset the
planner related info)??? Remember having read that somewhere.. (was it
in the Postgresql General Bit newletter ...anyway)

Thanks for your help I really appréciate it :-)

/David

LOG:  duration: 144.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM YN
LOG:  duration: 30.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM YO
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yo" x WHERE "yotype" = $1
AND "yonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yn" x WHERE "ynyotype" =
$1 AND "ynyonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yo" x WHERE "yotype" = $1
AND "yonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."yr" x WHERE "yryotype" =
$1 AND "yryonum" = $2 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  duration: 83.000 ms
LOG:  connection received: host=127.0.0.1 port=2196
LOG:  connection authorized: user=admin database=webCatalog
LOG:  statement: set datestyle to 'ISO'; select version(), case when
pg_encoding_to_char(1) = 'SQL_ASCII' then 'UNKNOWN' else
getdatabaseencoding() end;
LOG:  duration: 2.000 ms
LOG:  statement: set client_encoding = 'UNICODE'
LOG:  duration: 0.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IY
LOG:  duration: 71.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IA
LOG:  duration: 17.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IQ
LOG:  duration: 384.000 ms
LOG:  statement: DELETE FROM IC
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iq" x WHERE "iqicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ia" x WHERE "iaicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iy" x WHERE "iyicnumo" =
$1 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."iy" x WHERE "iyicnumr" =
$1 FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."il" x WHERE "ilicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."ic" x WHERE "icnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x
LOG:  statement: SELECT 1 FROM ONLY "public"."bd" x WHERE "bdicnum" = $1
FOR UPDATE OF x