Upgrading from from 7.4.2 to 8.0

From
"James Gunzelman"
Date:
Will I have to dump and reload all my databases when migrating from 7.4.2 to 8.0?

____________________________________

Jim Gunzelman

Senior Software Engineer

phone: 402.361.3078   fax: 402.361.3178

e-mail:  JamesGunzelmane@Solutionary.com

Solutionary, Inc.

www.Solutionary.com

Making Security Manageable 24x7

_____________________________________

Confidentiality Notice

The content of this communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain confidential and legally privileged information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately contact us by telephone at (402) 361-3000 or e-mail security@solutionary.com.  Thank you.

Copyright 2000-2005, Solutionary, Inc. All rights reserved.  ActiveGuard, eV3, Solutionary and the Solutionary logo are registered trademarks of Solutionary, Inc.

Re: Upgrading from from 7.4.2 to 8.0

From
Doug McNaught
Date:
"James Gunzelman" <JamesGunzelman@solutionary.com> writes:

>    Will I have to dump and reload all my databases when migrating from
>    7.4.2 to 8.0?

Yes.

-Doug

Re: Upgrading from from 7.4.2 to 8.0

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:51:14PM -0600, James Gunzelman wrote:

> Will I have to dump and reload all my databases when migrating from
> 7.4.2 to 8.0?

Yes -- the Release Notes mention it under "Migration to version 8.0":

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/release.html#RELEASE-8-0

Those unfamiliar with doing an upgrade might want to read "If You
Are Upgrading" in the "Installation Instructions" chapter of the
documenation, and "Migration Between Releases" in the "Backup and
Restore" chapter:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/install-upgrading.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/migration.html

(Install or upgrade questions should probably go to pgsql-admin or
pgsql-general instead of pgsql-performance.)

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Upgrading from from 7.4.2 to 8.0

From
Thomas F.O'Connell
Date:
It should be noted that users who use Slony can create a subscriber
node running 8.0 that subscribes to a node running 7.4.x and can
transition with only the downtime required for failover.

This obviates the need for a dump/restore.

See <http://slony.info/>.

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell