Hi all,

I have just started with PostgreSQL on Linux and in the past I've done a
good bit of work on Interbase (both on Windows and Linux).

What I want to know here is

What do people here think of Interbase/Firebird?

Has anybody done performance metrics or could they point me to a
comparison between the two?

Does Interbase/Firebird have (as far as people here are concerned) any
show-stoppers in terms of functionality which they do have on
PostgreSQL? Or, indeed, the other way round?

I'm not interested in starting a flame war or anything like that - just
a presentation of the facts as you see them, and if you want to put in
your opinion also, that's fine, just make a note!

TIA.

Paul...

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__DOT__com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.

Re: Interbase/Firebird - any users out there - what's the

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Paul Ganainm wrote:
> Does Interbase/Firebird have (as far as people here are concerned) any
> show-stoppers in terms of functionality which they do have on
> PostgreSQL? Or, indeed, the other way round?

Personally I think native windows port is plus that interbase/firebird has over
postgresql. It also has native threaded model which *could* be benefitial at times.

I combed docs once or twice. It looks like the linux/unix support is failry new
so I don't know how it stacks in production and performance.

OTOH, I don't like storing entire database in one file. That could get messy.
Otherwise two databases are on par, at least on paper. I hope SQL compliance of
interbase/firebird is better than mysql and closer to postgresql, +/- delta.

Of course PG has it's own goodies. Rules/Create language are just tip of iceberg.

Can you come up with some relative comparison? We can help you from postgresql
side..:-) That would be great.

  Bye
   Shridhar

Re: Interbase/Firebird - any users out there - what's

From
Franco Bruno Borghesi
Date:
About a year ago I programmed a php/firebird application, and I've never had a problem with firebird. It's a small database (a few megabytes), but it just works day after day.

I've seen firebird has updatable views, they seem to work very well.

I have the feeling that It's not as flexible as postgresql, but I still like it. It would be my choice for win32 applications (until win32 postgresql port become available).

I have just started with PostgreSQL on Linux and in the past I've done a
good bit of work on Interbase (both on Windows and Linux).

What I want to know here is

What do people here think of Interbase/Firebird?

Has anybody done performance metrics or could they point me to a
comparison between the two?

Does Interbase/Firebird have (as far as people here are concerned) any
show-stoppers in terms of functionality which they do have on
PostgreSQL? Or, indeed, the other way round?

I'm not interested in starting a flame war or anything like that - just
a presentation of the facts as you see them, and if you want to put in
your opinion also, that's fine, just make a note!

TIA.

Paul...
Attachment
"Private" <private@xxxxxx.com> writes:
> Try this benchmark on PostgreSQL, MySQL, FireBird, Oracle:
>
> http://go.jitbot.com/dbbench-pg-fb-mys-orcl

It looks like a good candidate for adding in a plpgsql stored
procedure to get similar speedups to what was gotten with the Oracle
benchmark.

It looks, from the numbers, as though Firebird is _slightly_ slower
than PostgreSQL, which seems not totally remarkable.  I'd expect that
reimplementing the benchmark inside a stored procedure would provide
similar improvements with Firebird...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.smrytrebil" "@" "enworbbc"))
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>

Re: Interbase/Firebird - any users out there - what's

From
Hannu Krosing
Date:
Christopher Browne kirjutas N, 06.11.2003 kell 20:23:
> "Private" <private@xxxxxx.com> writes:
> > Try this benchmark on PostgreSQL, MySQL, FireBird, Oracle:
> >
> > http://go.jitbot.com/dbbench-pg-fb-mys-orcl
>
> It looks like a good candidate for adding in a plpgsql stored
> procedure to get similar speedups to what was gotten with the Oracle
> benchmark.

It would also be interesting to see the same test run on Postgresql on
Linux/UNIX. PgSQL on win2000 (most likely using cygwin) is probably not
the best you can get out of that hardware.

Hannu

Try this benchmark on PostgreSQL, MySQL, FireBird, Oracle:

http://go.jitbot.com/dbbench-pg-fb-mys-orcl

This page expired but if you click on "Cache" on the side of JitBot search
pane, you'll see the cached page:

http://go.jitbot.com/opensource-dbs-table

Cheers,