LIKE query running slow

From
Garrett Bladow
Date:
Recently we upgraded the RAM in our server. After the install a LIKE query that used to take 5 seconds now takes 5
minutes.We have tried the usual suspects, VACUUM, ANALYZE and Re-indexing.

Any thoughts on what might have happened?

-Garrett Bladow

Re: LIKE query running slow

From
Dennis Bjorklund
Date:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Garrett Bladow wrote:

> Recently we upgraded the RAM in our server. After the install a LIKE
> query that used to take 5 seconds now takes 5 minutes. We have tried the
> usual suspects, VACUUM, ANALYZE and Re-indexing.

If you mean that you reinstalled postgresql then it's probably because you
before run the database with the "C" locale but now you run it with
something else.

If all you did was to install the extra memory then I don't see how that
can affect it at all (especially so if you have not altered
postgresql.conf to make use of more memory).

--
/Dennis

Re: LIKE query running slow

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Garrett Bladow wrote:

> Recently we upgraded the RAM in our server. After the install a LIKE query that used to take 5 seconds now takes 5
minutes.We have tried the usual suspects, VACUUM, ANALYZE and Re-indexing.

> Any thoughts on what might have happened?

What all tuning you have done? Have you set effective cache size to take care of
additional RAM.

Just check out.

  Shridhar

Re: LIKE query running slow

From
Jeff
Date:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Garrett Bladow wrote:

> Recently we upgraded the RAM in our server. After the install a LIKE query that used to take 5 seconds now takes 5
minutes.We have tried the usual suspects, VACUUM, ANALYZE and Re-indexing.

> Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Did you reload the db? If you did perhaps you didn't use the "C" locale?
That can cause a huge slowdown.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: LIKE query running slow

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Garrett,

> Recently we upgraded the RAM in our server. After the install a LIKE query
that used to take 5 seconds now takes 5 minutes. We have tried the usual
suspects, VACUUM, ANALYZE and Re-indexing.

> Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Bad RAM?   Have you tested it?

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: LIKE query running slow

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 20:24, Garrett Bladow wrote:
> Recently we upgraded the RAM in our server. After the install a LIKE query that used to take 5 seconds now takes 5
minutes.We have tried the usual suspects, VACUUM, ANALYZE and Re-indexing.

> Any thoughts on what might have happened?

What settings did you change at that time?

Care to share an EXPLAIN ANALYZE with us?

Attachment

Re: LIKE query running slow

From
Garrett Bladow
Date:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Garrett,
>
> > Recently we upgraded the RAM in our server. After the install a LIKE query
> that used to take 5 seconds now takes 5 minutes. We have tried the usual
> suspects, VACUUM, ANALYZE and Re-indexing.
> >
> > Any thoughts on what might have happened?
>
> Bad RAM?   Have you tested it?

RAM was tested and is good.