Tests

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
http://195.199.65.92/~horvaths/pgperformance.html

One of my friend do these tests. We think about the best filesystem for
the Linux/Postgres systems.

The four test was:

teszt1 - 10.000 inserts
teszt2 - 10.inserts, 10 in one trans.
teszt3 - 14.000.000 inserts, 1.000 in one trans.
teszt4 - "Select count(*)" on the big table.

What test are interesting? Plese give us tips and ideas. The guy has time
for other test.

--
Tomka Gergely
"S most - vajon barbárok nélkül mi lesz velünk?

Re: Tests

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 21 Aug 2003 at 16:51, Tomka Gergely wrote:

> http://195.199.65.92/~horvaths/pgperformance.html
>
> One of my friend do these tests. We think about the best filesystem for
> the Linux/Postgres systems.
>
> The four test was:
>
> teszt1 - 10.000 inserts
> teszt2 - 10.inserts, 10 in one trans.
> teszt3 - 14.000.000 inserts, 1.000 in one trans.
> teszt4 - "Select count(*)" on the big table.
>
> What test are interesting? Plese give us tips and ideas. The guy has time
> for other test.

- Try creating table without OIDs  and repeat runs
- Try changing number of inserts per transactions.

I tried similar test on my home machine last week. It gave me 500K records in
about 54 seconds on 7.3.3. That translates to roughly 3 minutes for 1.4M
records. You sure something isn't right here?

What is the hardware? Can you try it with 7.4CVS?

Bye
 Shridhar

--
XIIdigitation, n.:    The practice of trying to determine the year a movie was
made    by deciphering the Roman numerals at the end of the credits.        -- Rich

Re: Tests

From
Bill Moran
Date:
Tomka Gergely wrote:
> http://195.199.65.92/~horvaths/pgperformance.html
>
> One of my friend do these tests. We think about the best filesystem for
> the Linux/Postgres systems.
>
> The four test was:
>
> teszt1 - 10.000 inserts
> teszt2 - 10.inserts, 10 in one trans.
> teszt3 - 14.000.000 inserts, 1.000 in one trans.
> teszt4 - "Select count(*)" on the big table.
>
> What test are interesting? Plese give us tips and ideas. The guy has time
> for other test.

It's a shame you didn't test ufs+softupdates.  I'd be curious to see how
it stacked up against the others.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: Tests

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
2003-08-21 ragyogó napján Bill Moran ezt üzente:

> Tomka Gergely wrote:
> > http://195.199.65.92/~horvaths/pgperformance.html
> >
> > One of my friend do these tests. We think about the best filesystem for
> > the Linux/Postgres systems.
> >
> > The four test was:
> >
> > teszt1 - 10.000 inserts
> > teszt2 - 10.inserts, 10 in one trans.
> > teszt3 - 14.000.000 inserts, 1.000 in one trans.
> > teszt4 - "Select count(*)" on the big table.
> >
> > What test are interesting? Plese give us tips and ideas. The guy has time
> > for other test.
>
> It's a shame you didn't test ufs+softupdates.  I'd be curious to see how
> it stacked up against the others.

Shame? I smell here a harcore BSD fighter :) Maybe sometime he run
tests on *SD, but now we need linux data.

--

Date:
Tomka Gergely wrote:
> 2003-08-21 ragyogó napján Bill Moran ezt üzente:
>

>>Tomka Gergely wrote:
>>
>>>http://195.199.65.92/~horvaths/pgperformance.html
>>>
>>>One of my friend do these tests. We think about the best filesystem for
>>>the Linux/Postgres systems.
>>>
>>>The four test was:
>>>
>>>teszt1 - 10.000 inserts
>>>teszt2 - 10.inserts, 10 in one trans.
>>>teszt3 - 14.000.000 inserts, 1.000 in one trans.
>>>teszt4 - "Select count(*)" on the big table.
>>>
>>>What test are interesting? Plese give us tips and ideas. The guy has time
>>>for other test.
>>
>>It's a shame you didn't test ufs+softupdates.  I'd be curious to see how
>>it stacked up against the others.
>
> Shame? I smell here a harcore BSD fighter :)

Well, I suppose ...

> Maybe sometime he run
> tests on *SD, but now we need linux data.

"He" has had it on his list of things to do for months.

And if I ever get enough free moments, I will test *both* BSD and Linux,
because I'm terribly biased towards BSD because that's all I use.
In addition to being interested in how FreeBSD's ufs+softupdates compares
to the variety of Linux journalling filesystems, I'm also interested to
compare FreeBSD's performance on ext2fs and FAT to Linux's peformance on
those same filesystems.

It's a "shame" because I simply haven't found the time yet.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: Tests

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 14:16, Bill Moran wrote:

> >>It's a shame you didn't test ufs+softupdates.  I'd be curious to see how
> >>it stacked up against the others.
> >
> > Shame? I smell here a harcore BSD fighter :)
>
> Well, I suppose ...

Well I'm not a hardcore bsd fighter and I'd like to see how it stacks up
as well.  UFS+softupdates is supposed to be a very safe combination, if
it performs well enough I could see a recommendation for it for those
who are willing to look beyond linux.

Robert Treat

Re: Tests

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
2003-08-22 ragyogó napján Robert Treat ezt üzente:

> > > Shame? I smell here a harcore BSD fighter :)
> >
> > Well, I suppose ...
> >

> Well I'm not a hardcore bsd fighter and I'd like to see how it stacks up
> as well.  UFS+softupdates is supposed to be a very safe combination, if
> it performs well enough I could see a recommendation for it for those
> who are willing to look beyond linux.

The guy who do the test have only a few weeks *bsd-experience, and i dont
have bsd experience at all. The guy now planning tests on BSD, but he
need some time to build up a good relationship with the *BSD.

Ps.: i am a harcore linux-fgihter, so sorry :)

--

Date:
Tomka Gergely wrote:

>>>Well, I suppose ...
>>
>>Well I'm not a hardcore bsd fighter and I'd like to see how it stacks up
>>as well.  UFS+softupdates is supposed to be a very safe combination, if
>>it performs well enough I could see a recommendation for it for those
>>who are willing to look beyond linux.
>

> The guy who do the test have only a few weeks *bsd-experience, and i dont
> have bsd experience at all. The guy now planning tests on BSD, but he
> need some time to build up a good relationship with the *BSD.
>
> Ps.: i am a harcore linux-fgihter, so sorry :)

Well, as much as I _am_ a die-hard BSD geek, I'm far more interested in
knowing what platform is really best when I need a top-notch PostgreSQL
server.

I'm going to try to force some time this weekend to do some tests ...
we'll see if I succeed ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: Tests

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tomka,

Did you get my test suggestion?   It never hit the lists, so I wonder if you
got it ....

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Tests

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 16:54, Tomka Gergely wrote:

> > > Well, I suppose ...
> > >

> > Well I'm not a hardcore bsd fighter and I'd like to see how it stacks up
> > as well.  UFS+softupdates is supposed to be a very safe combination, if
> > it performs well enough I could see a recommendation for it for those
> > who are willing to look beyond linux.
>
> The guy who do the test have only a few weeks *bsd-experience, and i dont
> have bsd experience at all. The guy now planning tests on BSD, but he
> need some time to build up a good relationship with the *BSD.

Another thought would be linux w/ xfs

Also, can you post more complete hardware/ os info?

Oh, and vs 7.4beta1 would be great too.

:-)

Robert Treat

Re: Tests

From
Paul Thomas
Date:
On 22/08/2003 22:00 Bill Moran wrote:

> [snip] Well, as much as I _am_ a die-hard BSD geek, I'm far more
> interested in
> knowing what platform is really best when I need a top-notch PostgreSQL
> server.
>
> I'm going to try to force some time this weekend to do some tests ...
> we'll see if I succeed ...

I, for one, would be very interested to see your results (can't you find
something better to at the weekend than **** about with computers ?:)

<selfish-mode>
What I'd really be interested in is a comparison of Linux vs BSD using
each OS's variations of file system on the same single-processor Intel/AMD
based hardware.
</selfish-mode>

Selfishness and sillyness aside, I'm sure your tests will of interest to
us all. Thanks in advance

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: Tests

From
Bill Moran
Date:
Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 22/08/2003 22:00 Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> [snip] Well, as much as I _am_ a die-hard BSD geek, I'm far more
>> interested in
>> knowing what platform is really best when I need a top-notch PostgreSQL
>> server.
>>
>> I'm going to try to force some time this weekend to do some tests ...
>> we'll see if I succeed ...
>
> I, for one, would be very interested to see your results (can't you find
> something better to at the weekend than **** about with computers ?:)

Unfortunately, no.  I've been trying to get a date for a month and I'm
about ready to give up ;)

> <selfish-mode>
> What I'd really be interested in is a comparison of Linux vs BSD using
> each OS's variations of file system on the same single-processor
> Intel/AMD based hardware.
> </selfish-mode>

That was what I was hoping to do.

> Selfishness and sillyness aside, I'm sure your tests will of interest to
> us all. Thanks in advance

Oh great, now I feel obligated ... well, I guess I'd better get started.

I'll post the results for as far as I get late sometime Sunday.  I can't
promise they'll be complete at that point, but we'll see what happens.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: Tests

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tomka,

Since this didn't post last time:

Another good test to do would be one that measures simultaenous steaming
read-write.   For example:

create table_a, with at least 10,000 records, where field1 is the PK and
field2 is a text field.
create table_b, with 500,000 or more records, where field2 is an FK to
table_a, and field_3 is a text field.

do the following:

UPDATE table_b SET field3 = field3 || 'something'
WHERE EXISTS (select field1 FROM table_a
    where table_a.field1 = table_b.field2
    AND table_a.field_2 = 'x')

For the test to be most effective, the condition above should affect about
100,000 records of table_a, and the records should not be contiguos on disk.
Further, tablea.field2 should not be indexed in order to force a disk scan.

Also another test I'd really like to see is hardware raid (Adaptec, LSI)
against Linux software raid, and 5-disk RAID 5 against 4-disk RAID 1+0.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Tests

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
2003-08-22 ragyogó napján Josh Berkus ezt üzente:

> Tomka,
>
> Did you get my test suggestion?   It never hit the lists, so I wonder if you
> got it ....

Yes, we got it, and we use your ideas. Thanks.

--
Tomka Gergely
"S most - vajon barbárok nélkül mi lesz velünk?
Ők mégiscsak megoldás voltak valahogy..."

Re: Tests

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Also another test I'd really like to see is hardware raid (Adaptec, LSI)
> against Linux software raid, and 5-disk RAID 5 against 4-disk RAID 1+0.

It would be nice to cross those, so you have RAID5 sw vs RAID5 hw, vs
RAID1+0 sw vs RAID1+0 hw.

Now if only I had the hardware.  Time to scrounge.

Re: Tests

From
Bill Moran
Date:
scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>Also another test I'd really like to see is hardware raid (Adaptec, LSI)
>>against Linux software raid, and 5-disk RAID 5 against 4-disk RAID 1+0.
>
> It would be nice to cross those, so you have RAID5 sw vs RAID5 hw, vs
> RAID1+0 sw vs RAID1+0 hw.
>
> Now if only I had the hardware.  Time to scrounge.

I just wanted to comment, that I don't know where you guys find the time
and money to do all this.

I pretty much blew my entire weekend running tests, and I'm still not done
enough to post any results.

The upshot being, thanks to everyone who donates time, money, spare parts
or whatever.  Sometimes I forget how valuable all that is.  And I don't
think it gets said often enough how much people like me appreciate all the
hard work the developers and testers and everyone else involved does.
I mean, PostgreSQL (like Linux or BSD or any other open-source project) is
a fantastic piece of software!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: Tests

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
2003-08-25 ragyogó napján scott.marlowe ezt üzente:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Also another test I'd really like to see is hardware raid (Adaptec, LSI)
> > against Linux software raid, and 5-disk RAID 5 against 4-disk RAID 1+0.
>
> It would be nice to cross those, so you have RAID5 sw vs RAID5 hw, vs
> RAID1+0 sw vs RAID1+0 hw.
>
> Now if only I had the hardware.  Time to scrounge.

Hm.
At first, now we dont have raid hardware, sorry.
Second, in my practice the harware raid slower than sw raid, because now
the cheapest computing power is the cpu. So i dont like hardware raid
solutions, and even on ibm pc-servers i try not using them.

--
Tomka Gergely
"S most - vajon barbárok nélkül mi lesz velünk?
Ők mégiscsak megoldás voltak valahogy..."

Re: Tests

From
Tomka Gergely
Date:
http://mail.sth.sze.hu/~hsz/sql/

New, upgraded test results. As we see, the developers works hard, and with
good results. Million thanks and congratulations.

Sorry *BSD-lovers, if you send a new hard drive, our tester can do bsd
tests also. Life is hard.

And last, but not least, thanks for the tests, Horváth Szabolcs

--
Tomka Gergely
"S most - vajon barbárok nélkül mi lesz velünk?
Ők mégiscsak megoldás voltak valahogy..."

Re: Tests

From
"Balazs Wellisch"
Date:
Nicely done!

Thanks,

Balazs

New, upgraded test results. As we see, the developers works hard, and
with
good results. Million thanks and congratulations.

Sorry *BSD-lovers, if you send a new hard drive, our tester can do bsd
tests also. Life is hard.

And last, but not least, thanks for the tests, Horváth Szabolcs

--
Tomka Gergely
"S most - vajon barbárok nélkül mi lesz velünk?
Ők mégiscsak megoldás voltak valahogy..."

Re: Tests

Date:
What I thought was really interesting in this test was a dramatic
difference for ext3 mounted "writeback" in the "h1" test, 1 minute vs. 9
minutes compared to the default "ordered" mount option.  This was the
"add new constraint" test.