Re: Tests - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Tests
Date
List pgsql-performance
scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>Also another test I'd really like to see is hardware raid (Adaptec, LSI)
>>against Linux software raid, and 5-disk RAID 5 against 4-disk RAID 1+0.
>
> It would be nice to cross those, so you have RAID5 sw vs RAID5 hw, vs
> RAID1+0 sw vs RAID1+0 hw.
>
> Now if only I had the hardware.  Time to scrounge.

I just wanted to comment, that I don't know where you guys find the time
and money to do all this.

I pretty much blew my entire weekend running tests, and I'm still not done
enough to post any results.

The upshot being, thanks to everyone who donates time, money, spare parts
or whatever.  Sometimes I forget how valuable all that is.  And I don't
think it gets said often enough how much people like me appreciate all the
hard work the developers and testers and everyone else involved does.
I mean, PostgreSQL (like Linux or BSD or any other open-source project) is
a fantastic piece of software!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies