Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
"alexandre arruda paes :: aldeia digital"
Date:
Hi,

I have this machine with a 10 million records:
* Dual Xeon 2.0 (HyperThreading enabled), 3 7200 SCSI , Adaptec 2110S,
RAID 5 - 32k chunk size, 1 GB Ram DDR 266 ECC, RH 8.0 - 2.4.18

The database is mirrored with contrib/dbmirror in a P4 1 Gb Ram + IDE

If a disk failure occurs, I can use the server in the mirror.

I will format the main server in this weekend and I have seen in the list
some people that recomends a Software RAID instead HW.

I think too remove the RAID 5 and turn a RAID 1 for data in 2 HDs.
SO, WAL and swap in the thrid HD.

My questions:

1) I will see best disk performance changing the disk layout like above
2) HyperThreading really improve a procces basead program, like postgres

Thank´s for all

Alexandre

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
> 2) HyperThreading really improve a procces basead program, like postgres

I've not seen the results of this type of measurement posted, so really
couldn't say.

Attachment

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
"Nikolaus Dilger"
Date:
Alexandre,

Since you want the fastest speed I would do the 2 data
disks in RAID 0 (striping) not RAID 1 (mirroring).

If you would care about not loosing any transactions
you would keep all 3 disks in RAID 5.

Don't know the answer to the Hyperthreading question.
Why don't you run a test to find out?

Regards,
Nikolaus

,
-
> 2.4.18
>
> The database is mirrored with contrib/dbmirror in a P4
> 1 Gb Ram + IDE
>
> If a disk failure occurs, I can use the server in the
> mirror.
>
> I will format the main server in this weekend and I
> have seen in the list
> some people that recomends a Software RAID instead HW.
>
> I think too remove the RAID 5 and turn a RAID 1 for
> data in 2 HDs.
> SO, WAL and swap in the thrid HD.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) I will see best disk performance changing the disk
> layout like above
> 2) HyperThreading really improve a procces basead
> program, like postgres
>
> Thank´s for all
>
> Alexandre

> cleanly

[OT] Such incredible h/w (was Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question)

From
Ron Johnson
Date:
Back in the day, we got good performance from similar sized tables
using VMS, a small VAX with only 256MB RAM and narrow SCSI 1GB disks.
The RDBMS was DEC's own Rdb/VMS.  A "small" mainframe (6 MIPS, 8MB
RAM) also gave good performance.

So, this old curmudgeon asks, why such beefy h/w for such small
databases.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| 4 degrees from Vladimir Putin

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 11:25:14AM -0700, Nikolaus Dilger wrote:
> Alexandre,
>
> Since you want the fastest speed I would do the 2 data
> disks in RAID 0 (striping) not RAID 1 (mirroring).

Note that RAID 0 buys you nothing at all in redundancy.  So if the
point is to be able to recover from a disk failure, you need 1 (or
some combination of 0 and 1, or 5).

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
SZUCS Gábor
Date:
Alexandre,

I missed your orig. post, but AFAIK multiprocessing kernels will handle HT
CPUs as 2 CPUs each. Thus, our dual Xeon 2.4 is recognized as 4 Xeon 2.4
CPUs.

This way, I don't think HT would improve any single query (afaik no postgres
process uses more than one cpu), but overall multi-query performance has to
improve.

Since you want the fastest speed I would do the 2 data
disks in RAID 0 (striping) not RAID 1 (mirroring).

If you would care about not loosing any transactions
you would keep all 3 disks in RAID 5.

Don't know the answer to the Hyperthreading question.
Why don't you run a test to find out?

Regards,
Nikolaus

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:43:25 -0300 (BRT), "alexandre
arruda paes :: aldeia digital" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have this machine with a 10 million records:
> * Dual Xeon 2.0 (HyperThreading enabled), 3 7200 SCSI
,
> Adaptec 2110S,
> RAID 5 - 32k chunk size, 1 GB Ram DDR 266 ECC, RH 8.0
-
> 2.4.18
>
> The database is mirrored with contrib/dbmirror in a P4
> 1 Gb Ram + IDE
>
> If a disk failure occurs, I can use the server in the
> mirror.
>
> I will format the main server in this weekend and I
> have seen in the list
> some people that recomends a Software RAID instead HW.
>
> I think too remove the RAID 5 and turn a RAID 1 for
> data in 2 HDs.
> SO, WAL and swap in the thrid HD.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) I will see best disk performance changing the disk
> layout like above
> 2) HyperThreading really improve a procces basead
> program, like postgres
>
> Thank´s for all
>
> Alexandre

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
"alexandre paes :: aldeia digital"
Date:
SZUCS,

In my tests, I don´t a great performance enhacement with HT.

I suspect that my problem resides on I/O performance. I will
wait for a best moment to resinstall the system with other
disk configurations and then I will report here.

Thanks for all replys!

Alexandre

Date:
SZUCS G�bor wrote:
> Alexandre,
>
> I missed your orig. post, but AFAIK multiprocessing kernels will handle HT
> CPUs as 2 CPUs each. Thus, our dual Xeon 2.4 is recognized as 4 Xeon 2.4
> CPUs.
>
> This way, I don't think HT would improve any single query (afaik no postgres
> process uses more than one cpu), but overall multi-query performance has to
> improve.

When you use hyperthreading, each virtual cpu runs at 70% of a full CPU,
so hyperthreading could be slower than non-hyperthreading.  On a fully
loaded dual cpu system, you are looking at 2.8 cpu's (0.70 * 4), while
if it isn't loaded, you are looking at slowing down if you are only
using 1 or 2 cpu's.

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
"Mindaugas Riauba"
Date:
> > I missed your orig. post, but AFAIK multiprocessing kernels will handle
HT
> > CPUs as 2 CPUs each. Thus, our dual Xeon 2.4 is recognized as 4 Xeon 2.4
> > CPUs.
> >
> > This way, I don't think HT would improve any single query (afaik no
postgres
> > process uses more than one cpu), but overall multi-query performance has
> > improve.
>
> When you use hyperthreading, each virtual cpu runs at 70% of a full CPU,
> so hyperthreading could be slower than non-hyperthreading.  On a fully
> loaded dual cpu system, you are looking at 2.8 cpu's (0.70 * 4), while
> if it isn't loaded, you are looking at slowing down if you are only
> using 1 or 2 cpu's.

  Virtual cpus are not running at 70% of real cpus :). Slowdown will happen
if
scheduler will run 2 processes on the same real cpu. And I read that there
are
patches for Linux kernel to fix that. Sooner rather than later they will
appear
in Linus kernel.

  Mindaugas

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

Date:
Mindaugas Riauba wrote:

> > > I missed your orig. post, but AFAIK multiprocessing kernels will handle
> HT
> > > CPUs as 2 CPUs each. Thus, our dual Xeon 2.4 is recognized as 4 Xeon 2.4
> > > CPUs.
> > >
> > > This way, I don't think HT would improve any single query (afaik no
> postgres
> > > process uses more than one cpu), but overall multi-query performance has
> > > improve.
> >
> > When you use hyperthreading, each virtual cpu runs at 70% of a full CPU,
> > so hyperthreading could be slower than non-hyperthreading.  On a fully
> > loaded dual cpu system, you are looking at 2.8 cpu's (0.70 * 4), while
> > if it isn't loaded, you are looking at slowing down if you are only
> > using 1 or 2 cpu's.
>
>   Virtual cpus are not running at 70% of real cpus :). Slowdown will happen
> if
> scheduler will run 2 processes on the same real cpu. And I read that there
> are
> patches for Linux kernel to fix that. Sooner rather than later they will
> appear
> in Linus kernel.

Right, I simplified it.  The big deal is whether the OS favors the
second real CPU over one of the virtual CPU's on the same die --- by
default, it doesn't.  Ever if it did work perfectly, you are talking
about going from 1 to 1.4 or 2 to 2.8, which doesn't seem like much.

Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From
SZUCS Gábor
Date:
"by default" -- do you mean there is a way to tell Linux to favor the second
real cpu over the HT one? how?

G.