Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question

From: Bruce Momjian
Subject: Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  ("alexandre arruda paes :: aldeia digital", )
 Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  (Rod Taylor, )
 Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  ("Nikolaus Dilger", )
  [OT] Such incredible h/w (was Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question)  (Ron Johnson, )
  Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  (SZUCS Gábor, )
   Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  ("alexandre paes :: aldeia digital", )
   Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  ("Mindaugas Riauba", )
     Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  (Bruce Momjian, )
      Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  (SZUCS Gábor, )
       Re: Dual Xeon + HW RAID question  (Jord Tanner, )

Jord Tanner wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 10:39, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > But CPU affinity isn't realated to hyperthreading, as far as I know.
> > CPU affinity tries to keep processes on the same cpu in case there is
> > still valuable info in the cpu cache.
> >

> It is true that CPU affinity is designed to prevent the dump of valuable
> CPU cache. My thought is that if you are trying to prevent CPU
> contention, you could use CPU affinity to prevent 2 postmaster processes
> from running simultaneously on the same die. Am I out to lunch here?
> I've not worked with CPU affinity before, so I'm not familiar with the
> intimate details.

I guess you could but it is the backends that use the cpu.  I don't
think manually specifying affinity will work for most applications.