H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah."
Date:
Hi folks,

I have two options:
3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI  controller + H/W Raid 5
and
2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no RAID

Does anyone opinions *performance wise*  the pros and cons of above
two options.

please take in consideration in latter case its higher RPM and better
SCSI interface.

Regds
Mallah.

--
Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster

From
"Charles H. Woloszynski"
Date:
How are you going to make use of the three faster drives under
postgresql?   Were you intending to put the WAL, system/swap, and the
actual data files on separate drives/partitions?  Unless you do
something like that (or s/w RAID to distribute the processing across the
disks), you really have ONE SCSI 15K Ultra320 drive against 3 slower
drives with the RAID overhead (and spreading of performance because of
the multiple heads).

I don't have specifics here, but I'd expect that the RAID5 on slower
drives would work better for apps with lots of selects or lots of
concurrent users.  I suspect that the Ultra320 would be better for batch
jobs and mostly transactions with less selects.

Charlie

--

Charles H. Woloszynski

ClearMetrix, Inc.
115 Research Drive
Bethlehem, PA 18015

tel: 610-419-2210 x400
fax: 240-371-3256
web: www.clearmetrix.com

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Rajesh Kumar Mallah. wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have two options:
> 3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI  controller + H/W Raid 5
> and
> 2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no RAID
>
> Does anyone opinions *performance wise*  the pros and cons of above
> two options.
>
> please take in consideration in latter case its higher RPM and better
> SCSI interface.

Does the OS you're running on support software RAID?  If so the dual 36
gigs in a RAID0 software would be fastest, and in a RAID1 would still be
pretty fast plus they would be redundant.

Depending on your queries, there may not be a lot of difference between
running the 3*18 hw RAID or the 2*36 setup, especially if most of your
data can fit into memory on the server.

Generally, the 2*36 should be faster for writing, and the 3*18 should be
about even for reads, maybe a little faster.

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah."

Oh i did not mention,
its linux, it does.

RAM: 2.0 GB
CPU: Dual 2.0 Ghz Intel Xeon DP Processors.

On Thursday 21 November 2002 23:02, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Rajesh Kumar Mallah. wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have two options:
> > 3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI  controller + H/W Raid 5
> > and
> > 2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no RAID
> >
> > Does anyone opinions *performance wise*  the pros and cons of above
> > two options.
> >
> > please take in consideration in latter case its higher RPM and better
> > SCSI interface.
>
> Does the OS you're running on support software RAID?  If so the dual 36
> gigs in a RAID0 software would be fastest, and in a RAID1 would still be
> pretty fast plus they would be redundant.

> Depending on your queries, there may not be a lot of difference between
> running the 3*18 hw RAID or the 2*36 setup, especially if most of your
> data can fit into memory on the server.
> Generally, the 2*36 should be faster for writing, and the 3*18 should be
> about even for reads, maybe a little faster.

Since i got lots of RAM and my Data Size (on disk ) is 2 GB i feel  frequent reads
can happen from the memory.

I have heard putting pg_xlog in a drive of its own helps in boosting updates to
DB server.
in that case shud i forget abt the h/w and use one disk exclusively for the WAL?

Regds
mallah.

--
Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

Re: H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah."

OK now i am reading Momjian's "PostgreSQL Hardware Performance Tuning"
once again ;-)

mallah.

On Thursday 21 November 2002 23:02, scott.marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Rajesh Kumar Mallah. wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have two options:
> > 3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI  controller + H/W Raid 5
> > and
> > 2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no RAID
> >
> > Does anyone opinions *performance wise*  the pros and cons of above
> > two options.
> >
> > please take in consideration in latter case its higher RPM and better
> > SCSI interface.
>
> Does the OS you're running on support software RAID?  If so the dual 36
> gigs in a RAID0 software would be fastest, and in a RAID1 would still be
> pretty fast plus they would be redundant.
>
> Depending on your queries, there may not be a lot of difference between
> running the 3*18 hw RAID or the 2*36 setup, especially if most of your
> data can fit into memory on the server.
>
> Generally, the 2*36 should be faster for writing, and the 3*18 should be
> about even for reads, maybe a little faster.

--
Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From
Steve Crawford
Date:
I had long labored under the impression that RAID 5 should give me better
performance but I have since encountered many reports that this is not the
case. Do some searching on Google and you will probably find numerous
articles.

Note 3x18 w/RAID5 will give 36GB usable while 2x36 w/o RAID is 72GB.
You could use mirroring on the 2x36 and have the same usable space.

A mirrored 2x36 setup will probably yield a marginal hit on writes (vs a
single disk) and an improvement on reads due to having two drives to read
from and will (based on the Scientific Wild Ass Guess method and knowing
nothing about your overall system) probably be faster than the RAID5
configuration while giving you identical usable space and data safety.

You also may see improvements due to the 15,000RPM drives (of course RPM is
sort of an arbitrary measure - you really want to know about track access
times, latency, transfer rate, etc. and RPM is just one influencing factor
for the above).

The quality of your RAID cards will also be important (how fast do they
perform their calculations, how much buffer do they have) as will the overall
specs of you system. If you have a bottleneck somewhere other than your raw
disk I/O then you can throw all the money you want at faster drives and see
no improvement.

Cheers,
Steve

On Thursday 21 November 2002 8:45 am, you wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have two options:
> 3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI  controller + H/W Raid 5
> and
> 2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no RAID
>
> Does anyone opinions *performance wise*  the pros and cons of above
> two options.
>
> please take in consideration in latter case its higher RPM and better
> SCSI interface.
>

> Regds
> Mallah.

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah."

Thanks Steve,

recently i have come to know that i can only get 3*18 GB ultra160 10K
hraddrives,

my OS is lunux , other parameters are
RAM:2GB , CPU:2*2Ghz Xeon,

i feel i will do away with raid use one disk for the OS
and pg_dumps

, one for tables and last one for WAL , does this sound good?

regds
mallah.

On Friday 22 November 2002 00:26, Steve Crawford wrote:
> I had long labored under the impression that RAID 5 should give me better
> performance but I have since encountered many reports that this is not the
> case. Do some searching on Google and you will probably find numerous
> articles.
>
> Note 3x18 w/RAID5 will give 36GB usable while 2x36 w/o RAID is 72GB.
> You could use mirroring on the 2x36 and have the same usable space.
>
> A mirrored 2x36 setup will probably yield a marginal hit on writes (vs a
> single disk) and an improvement on reads due to having two drives to read
> from and will (based on the Scientific Wild Ass Guess method and knowing
> nothing about your overall system) probably be faster than the RAID5
> configuration while giving you identical usable space and data safety.
>
> You also may see improvements due to the 15,000RPM drives (of course RPM is
> sort of an arbitrary measure - you really want to know about track access
> times, latency, transfer rate, etc. and RPM is just one influencing factor
> for the above).
>
> The quality of your RAID cards will also be important (how fast do they
> perform their calculations, how much buffer do they have) as will the
> overall specs of you system. If you have a bottleneck somewhere other than
> your raw disk I/O then you can throw all the money you want at faster
> drives and see no improvement.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> On Thursday 21 November 2002 8:45 am, you wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have two options:
> > 3*18 GB 10,000 RPM Ultra160 Dual Channel SCSI  controller + H/W Raid 5
> > and
> > 2*36 GB 15,000 RPM Ultra320 Dual Channel SCSI and no RAID
> >
> > Does anyone opinions *performance wise*  the pros and cons of above
> > two options.
> >
> > please take in consideration in latter case its higher RPM and better
> > SCSI interface.
> >

> > Regds
> > Mallah.

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From
"Bjoern Metzdorf"
Date:
> A mirrored 2x36 setup will probably yield a marginal hit on writes (vs a
> single disk) and an improvement on reads due to having two drives to read
> from and will (based on the Scientific Wild Ass Guess method and knowing

slightly offtopic:

Does anyone one if linux software raid 1 supports this method (reading from
both disks, thus doubling performance)?

Regards,
Bjoern

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on faster HDDs

From
eric soroos
Date:

Date:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Rajesh Kumar Mallah. wrote:

> Thanks Steve,
>
> recently i have come to know that i can only get 3*18 GB ultra160 10K
> hraddrives,
>
> my OS is lunux , other parameters are
> RAM:2GB , CPU:2*2Ghz Xeon,
>
> i feel i will do away with raid use one disk for the OS
> and pg_dumps
>
> , one for tables and last one for WAL , does this sound good?

That depends.  Are you going to be mostly reading, mostly updating, or an
even mix of both?

If you are going to be 95% reading, then don't bother moving WAL to
another drive, install the OS on the first 2 or 3 gigs of each drive, then
make a RAID5 out of what's left over and put everything on that.

If you're going to be mostly updating, then yes, your setup is a pretty
good choice.

If it will be mostly mixed, look at using a software RAID1.

More important will be tuning your database once it's up, i.e. increasing
shared buffers, setting random page costs to reflect what percentage of
your dataset is likely to be cached (the closer you come to caching your
whole dataset, the closer random page cost approaches 1)

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on

From
Mike Nielsen
Date:
Bjoern,

You may find that hoping for a doubling of performance by using RAID 1 is a little on the optimistic side.

Except on very long sequential reads, media transfer rates are unlikely to be the limiting factor in disk throughput.  Seek and rotational latencies are the cost factor in random I/O, and with RAID 1, the performance gain comes from reducing the mean latency --  on a single request, one disk will be closer to the data than the other.  If the software that's handling the RAID 1 will schedule concurrent requests, you lose the advantage of reducing mean latency in this fashion, but you can get some improvement in throughput by overlapping some latency periods.

While not wanting to argue against intelligent I/O design, memory is cheap these days, and usually gives big bang-for-buck in improving response times.

As to the specifics of how one level or another of Linux implements RAID 1, I'm afraid I can't shed much light at the moment.

Regards,

Mike
On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 06:24, Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:
> A mirrored 2x36 setup will probably yield a marginal hit on writes (vs a
> single disk) and an improvement on reads due to having two drives to read
> from and will (based on the Scientific Wild Ass Guess method and knowing

slightly offtopic:

Does anyone one if linux software raid 1 supports this method (reading from
both disks, thus doubling performance)?

Regards,
Bjoern

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
Michael Nielsen

ph: 0411-097-023 email: miken@bigpond.net.au

Mike Nielsen

Date:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:

> > A mirrored 2x36 setup will probably yield a marginal hit on writes (vs a
> > single disk) and an improvement on reads due to having two drives to read
> > from and will (based on the Scientific Wild Ass Guess method and knowing
>
> slightly offtopic:
>
> Does anyone one if linux software raid 1 supports this method (reading from
> both disks, thus doubling performance)?

Yes, it does.  Generally speaking, it increases raw throughput by a factor
of 2 if you're grabbing enough data to justify reading it from both
drives.  But for most database apps, you don't read enough at a time to
get a gain from this.  I.e. if your stripe size is 8k and you're reading
1k at a time, no gain.

However, under parallel load, the extra drives really help.

In fact, the linux kernel supports >2 drives in a mirror.  Useful for a
mostly read database that needs to handle lots of concurrent users.

Date:
> In fact, the linux kernel supports >2 drives in a mirror.  Useful for a
> mostly read database that needs to handle lots of concurrent users.

Good to know.

What do you think is faster: 3 drives in raid 1 or 3 drives in raid 5?

Regards,
Bjoern

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Bjoern,

> Good to know.
>
> What do you think is faster: 3 drives in raid 1 or 3 drives in raid
> 5?

My experience?  Raid 1.  But that depends on other factors as well;
your controller (software controllers use system RAM and thus lower
performance), what kind of reads you're getting and how often.  IMHO,
RAID 5 is faster for sequential reads (lareg numbers of records on
clustered tables), RAID 1 for random reads.

And keep in mind: RAID 5 is *bad* for data writes.  In my experience,
database data-write performance on RAID 5 UW SCSI is as slow as IDE
drives, particulary for updating large numbers of records, *unless* the
updated records are sequentially updated and clustered.

But in a multi-user write-often setup, RAID 5 will slow you down and
RAID 1 is better.

Did that help?

-Josh Berkus

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Bjoern,

> Good to know.
>
> What do you think is faster: 3 drives in raid 1 or 3 drives in raid
> 5?

My experience?  Raid 1.  But that depends on other factors as well;
your controller (software controllers use system RAM and thus lower
performance), what kind of reads you're getting and how often.  IMHO,
RAID 5 is faster for sequential reads (lareg numbers of records on
clustered indexes), RAID 1 for random reads.

Date:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:

> > In fact, the linux kernel supports >2 drives in a mirror.  Useful for a
> > mostly read database that needs to handle lots of concurrent users.
>
> Good to know.
>
> What do you think is faster: 3 drives in raid 1 or 3 drives in raid 5?

Generally RAID 5.  RAID 1 is only faster if you are doing a lot of
parellel reads.  I.e. you have something like 10 agents reading at the
same time.  RAID 5 also works better under parallel load than a single
drive.

The fastest of course, is multidrive RAID0.  But there's no redundancy.

Oddly, my testing doesn't show any appreciable performance increase in
linux by layering RAID5 or 1 over RAID0 or vice versa, something that
is usually faster under most setups.

Date:
> Generally RAID 5.  RAID 1 is only faster if you are doing a lot of
> parellel reads.  I.e. you have something like 10 agents reading at the
> same time.  RAID 5 also works better under parallel load than a single
> drive.

yep, but write performance sucks.

> The fastest of course, is multidrive RAID0.  But there's no redundancy.

With 4 drives I'd always go for raid 10, fast and secure

> Oddly, my testing doesn't show any appreciable performance increase in
> linux by layering RAID5 or 1 over RAID0 or vice versa, something that
> is usually faster under most setups.

Is this with linux software raid? raid10 is not significantly faster? cant
believe that...

Regards,
Bjoern

Date:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:

> > Generally RAID 5.  RAID 1 is only faster if you are doing a lot of
> > parellel reads.  I.e. you have something like 10 agents reading at the
> > same time.  RAID 5 also works better under parallel load than a single
> > drive.
>
> yep, but write performance sucks.

Well, it's not all that bad.  After all, you only have to read the parity
stripe and data stripe (two reads) update the data stripe, xor the new
data stripe against the old parity stripe, and write both.  In RAID 1 you
have to read the old data stripe, update it, and then write it to two
drives.  So, generally speaking, it's not that much more work on RAID 5
than 1.  My experience has been that RAID5 is only about 10 to 20% percent
slower than RAID1 in writing, if that.

> > The fastest of course, is multidrive RAID0.  But there's no redundancy.
>
> With 4 drives I'd always go for raid 10, fast and secure
>
> > Oddly, my testing doesn't show any appreciable performance increase in
> > linux by layering RAID5 or 1 over RAID0 or vice versa, something that
> > is usually faster under most setups.
>
> Is this with linux software raid? raid10 is not significantly faster? cant
> believe that...

Yep, Linux software raid.  It seems like it doesn't parallelize well.
That's with several different setups.  I've tested it on a machine a dual
Ultra 40/80 controller and 6 Ultra wide 10krpm SCSI drives, and no matter
how I arrange the drives, 50, 10, 01, 05, the old 1 or 5 setups are just
about as fast.

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on

From
Mario Weilguni
Date:
Am Donnerstag, 21. November 2002 21:53 schrieb Bjoern Metzdorf:
> > In fact, the linux kernel supports >2 drives in a mirror.  Useful for a
> > mostly read database that needs to handle lots of concurrent users.
>
> Good to know.
>
> What do you think is faster: 3 drives in raid 1 or 3 drives in raid 5?
>
> Regards,
> Bjoern

If 4 drives are an option, I suggest 2 x RAID1, one for data, and one for WAL and temporary DB space (pg_temp).

Regards,
    Mario Weilguni

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on

Date:
Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com> writes:
> If 4 drives are an option, I suggest 2 x RAID1, one for data, and one for WAL and temporary DB space (pg_temp).

Ideally there should be *nothing* on the WAL drive except WAL; you don't
ever want that disk head seeking away from the WAL.  Put the temp files
on the data disk.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on

From
"philip johnson"
Date:
pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org wrote:
> Objet : Re: [PERFORM] [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no
> raid on
>

> Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com> writes:
>> If 4 drives are an option, I suggest 2 x RAID1, one for data, and
>> one for WAL and temporary DB space (pg_temp).
>
> Ideally there should be *nothing* on the WAL drive except WAL; you
> don't ever want that disk head seeking away from the WAL.  Put the
> temp files on the data disk.
>
>             regards, tom lane
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the
> postmaster

which temp files ?

Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 08:52:48AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mario Weilguni <mweilguni@sime.com> writes:
> > If 4 drives are an option, I suggest 2 x RAID1, one for data, and one for WAL and temporary DB space (pg_temp).
>
> Ideally there should be *nothing* on the WAL drive except WAL; you don't
> ever want that disk head seeking away from the WAL.  Put the temp files
> on the data disk.

Unless the interface and disks are so fast that it makes no
difference.

Try as I might, I can't make WAL go any faster on its own controller
and disks than if I leave it on the same filesystem as everything
else, on our production arrays.  We use Sun A5200s, and I have tried
it set up with the WAL on separate disks on the box, and on separate
disks in the array, and even on separate disks on a separate
controller in the array (I've never tried it with two arrays, but I
don't have infinite money, either).  I have never managed to
demonstrate a throughput difference outside the margin of error of my
tests.  One arrangement -- putting the WAL on a separate pair of UFS
disks using RAID 1, but not on the fibre channel -- was demonstrably
slower than leaving the WAL in the data area.

Nothing is proved by this, of course, except that if you're going to
use high-performance hardware, you have to tune and test over and
over again.  I was truly surprised that a separate pair of VxFS
RAID-1 disks in the array were no faster, but I guess it makes sense:
the array is just as busy in either case, and the disks are really
fast.  I still don't really believe it, though.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110