Fix \dT enum in psql

From
David Fetter
Date:
Folks,

In psql, \dT doesn't show the elements for enums.  Please find patch
vs. CVS TIP attached which fixes this per the following TODO item:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00826.php

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
Andrew Dunstan

David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In psql, \dT doesn't show the elements for enums.  Please find patch
> vs. CVS TIP attached which fixes this per the following TODO item:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00826.php

I don't have a particular problem with this patch - indeed the query in
it looks eerily familiar :-)

However, I'm wondering if we should wait until a possible rework of the
mechanics of enums as recently discussed? Or we could put it in and that
way it would have to be redone when enums are rejigged.

cheers

andrew

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 10:53:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> In psql, \dT doesn't show the elements for enums.  Please find
>> patch vs. CVS TIP attached which fixes this per the following TODO
>> item:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00826.php
>
> I don't have a particular problem with this patch - indeed the query
> in it looks eerily familiar :-)

I can't imagine why ;)

> However, I'm wondering if we should wait until a possible rework of
> the mechanics of enums as recently discussed? Or we could put it in
> and that way it would have to be redone when enums are rejigged.

I'm thinking getting it in there soon will keep the bitrot to a
minimum.  One thing it doesn't include is regression tests.  Shall I
add a few?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
Andrew Dunstan

David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 10:53:00PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> In psql, \dT doesn't show the elements for enums.  Please find
>>> patch vs. CVS TIP attached which fixes this per the following TODO
>>> item:
>>>
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00826.php
>>>
>> I don't have a particular problem with this patch - indeed the query
>> in it looks eerily familiar :-)
>>

> I can't imagine why ;)
>

>> However, I'm wondering if we should wait until a possible rework of
>> the mechanics of enums as recently discussed? Or we could put it in
>> and that way it would have to be redone when enums are rejigged.
>>

> I'm thinking getting it in there soon will keep the bitrot to a
> minimum.  One thing it doesn't include is regression tests.  Shall I
> add a few?

not sure that we do regression tests for psql features ...

cheers

andrew

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
Andrew Dunstan

David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In psql, \dT doesn't show the elements for enums.  Please find patch
> vs. CVS TIP attached which fixes this per the following TODO item:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00826.php

I notice that this patch adds an "Elements" column to the output of \dT,
which will only be used by enum types. That seems rather ... cluttered.

cheers

andrew

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 06:40:51PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> In psql, \dT doesn't show the elements for enums.  Please find
>> patch vs. CVS TIP attached which fixes this per the following TODO
>> item:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00826.php
>
> I notice that this patch adds an "Elements" column to the output of
> \dT, which will only be used by enum types. That seems rather ...
> cluttered.

Is the name too long, or did you want it rolled into one of the other
columns, or...?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

Date:
> I notice that this patch adds an "Elements" column to the output of \dT,
> which will only be used by enum types. That seems rather ... cluttered.

But it'll only be in \dT+ anyway, no?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
Andrew Dunstan

Tom Lane wrote:

>> I notice that this patch adds an "Elements" column to the output of \dT,
>> which will only be used by enum types. That seems rather ... cluttered.
>>

> But it'll only be in \dT+ anyway, no?

Not in this patch.

cheers

andrew

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

Date:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> But it'll only be in \dT+ anyway, no?

> Not in this patch.

Hmmm ... given that a long list of enum members would bloat the output
quite a lot, I think I'd vote for putting it in \dT+.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 07:49:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> But it'll only be in \dT+ anyway, no?
>
> > Not in this patch.
>
> Hmmm ... given that a long list of enum members would bloat the
> output quite a lot, I think I'd vote for putting it in \dT+.

Here's one where it's only in \dT+

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Fix \dT enum in psql

From
Andrew Dunstan

David Fetter wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 07:49:25PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:

>>> Not in this patch.
>>>
>> Hmmm ... given that a long list of enum members would bloat the
>> output quite a lot, I think I'd vote for putting it in \dT+.
>>

> Here's one where it's only in \dT+

Yeah. Committed.

cheers

andrew