Updated XML patch

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Attached is an updated patch for XML functionality, which subsumes all
earlier patches on the subject.  This includes a data type with format
checking, and functions to mangle values.  For the moment, I have cut
out the inessential stuff such as xpath.  The included regression test
file xml.sql shows some of the things that work.

This patch already covers most of the parser work.  What is left
hereafter is adjusting all the corner cases, the escaping rules, and
the various XML parser behaviors.

Use configure --with-libxml to build.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Updated XML patch

Date:
This looks very nice.  Thanks.

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Attached is an updated patch for XML functionality, which subsumes all
> earlier patches on the subject.  This includes a data type with format
> checking, and functions to mangle values.  For the moment, I have cut
> out the inessential stuff such as xpath.  The included regression test
> file xml.sql shows some of the things that work.
>
> This patch already covers most of the parser work.  What is left
> hereafter is adjusting all the corner cases, the escaping rules, and
> the various XML parser behaviors.
>
> Use configure --with-libxml to build.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Re: Updated XML patch

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Here is an updated updated XML patch.  Unless there are objections of
the sort that this approach is totally wrong or there is crash
potential, I'd like to get this committed this week and fill in the
gaps next year.

Old News:

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Here is an updated updated XML patch.  Unless there are objections of
> the sort that this approach is totally wrong or there is crash
> potential, I'd like to get this committed this week and fill in the
> gaps next year.

Great.  The XML section of the datatypes documentation will need to be
updated.  I can do that once you are done.

Date:
Here is an updated updated XML patch.  Unless there are objections of
the sort that this approach is totally wrong or there is crash
potential, I'd like to get this committed this week and fill in the
gaps next year.

Peter - I have a few quick questions about the XML patch that you submitted back in December.

Nikolay's original patch included support for XMLGEN(), but your patch does not.

Are you planning to add XMLGEN() support?  And if so, will it work basically the same (from the user's perspective) as the XMLGEN() syntax in Nikolay's patch?

Is there a problem lurking in XMLGEN() or is just something that you haven't had a chance to complete?

Thanks.

            -- Korry

--
  Korry Douglas    korryd@enterprisedb.com
  EnterpriseDB      http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Updated XML patch

From
Date:
s/XMLGEN/XMLAGG/

Sorry, I meant XMLAGG() not XMLGEN()

            -- Korry

Date:
korryd@enterprisedb.com wrote:
> Are you planning to add XMLAGG() support?  And if so, will it work
> basically the same (from the user's perspective) as the XMLAGG()
> syntax in Nikolay's patch?

The XMLAGG in Nikolay's patch didn't work right, so I removed it.  If
someone wants to clean it up, please send a patch.

(Or maybe it did work right and I misjudged it, but it was mentally in
the way of all the other complications.)

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Updated XML patch

From
Date:
s/XMLGEN/XMLAGG/

Sorry, I meant XMLAGG() not XMLGEN()

And now that I have the name right, I found the answer:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg01022.php

Sorry to be a bother...

        -- Korry