Install pg_regress by default

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
This patch allows pg_regress to be installed by default.  This was
proposed awhile back but never done, any objections if I commit this?

Re: Install pg_regress by default

Date:
> This patch allows pg_regress to be installed by default.  This was
> proposed awhile back but never done, any objections if I commit this?

I've forgotten the details, but it seems like there was something else
that this depended on to be of any use?  What are you envisioning people
doing with it?

BTW, I think you need an uninstall target too.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > This patch allows pg_regress to be installed by default.  This was
> > proposed awhile back but never done, any objections if I commit this?
>
> I've forgotten the details, but it seems like there was something else
> that this depended on to be of any use?  What are you envisioning people
> doing with it?

Actually it works, as you discovered some time ago, using PGXS.  I use
it to test PL/php.  (Yes, I'm hacking on that ugly thing.)  I think
other module authors would also have some sort of regression testing;
having this in place eases things a bit.

I guess people whose packages need to support systems without PGXS
already have some testing harness in place, so it will be less useful to
them.

> BTW, I think you need an uninstall target too.

Ok.

Re: Install pg_regress by default

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> This patch allows pg_regress to be installed by default.  This was
> proposed awhile back but never done, any objections if I commit this?

If you do, there should also be documentation, such as a reference page,
about how to use it.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> This patch allows pg_regress to be installed by default.  This was
> proposed awhile back but never done, any objections if I commit this?

Scripts should be installed using INSTALL_SCRIPT (not _PROGRAM).

--
Peter Eisentraut

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > This patch allows pg_regress to be installed by default.  This was
> > proposed awhile back but never done, any objections if I commit this?
>
> If you do, there should also be documentation, such as a reference page,
> about how to use it.

Applied with corrections, except for this.  I'll do that later today.

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > This patch allows pg_regress to be installed by default.  This was
> > proposed awhile back but never done, any objections if I commit this?
>
> If you do, there should also be documentation, such as a reference page,
> about how to use it.

Ok, documented in the xfunc.sgml page, where the rest of PGXS is
documented.  Feel free to editorialize ...