contrib dbf2sql.pl

From
Manuel Baena García
Date:
Hello,

Here is a contrib to translate xBase-style .dbf-files to SQL.

Manuel.

Attachment

Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

Date:
How is this better than /contrib/dbase tools?

Manuel Baena Garc�a wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a contrib to translate xBase-style .dbf-files to SQL.
>
> Manuel.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

Date:
Manuel Baena Garc�a wrote:
> - It solve problems with numeric columns.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2005-01/msg00246.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg01382.php
> - The output is in SQL.

Uh, can't you just fix the existing version rather than make a new
program?

Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

Date:
Manuel Baena Garc�a wrote:
> ok, It's more difficult to fix the existing version. I don't want to do
> a new library. I just use the perl module DBD-XBase rather than rewrite
> a library (contrib/dbase/dbf.c). Also, dbf2sql is a perl program... you
> can to adapt it to your needs easily.

Are you saying your script has all the functionality of dbf2pg.c?  It
doesn't seem possible.

Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

Date:
Manuel Baena Garc�a wrote:
> El mi?, 23-03-2005 a las 17:07 -0500, Bruce Momjian escribi?:
> > Are you saying your script has all the functionality of dbf2pg.c?  It
> > doesn't seem possible.
>
> No, I'm not saying it. By example, my script doesn't connect to a pg db,
> I prefer to use a pipe. My script has the same objective by a different
> way: "do it as simple as you can".

It just seems confusing to give to other users. I would prefer to have
all the needed functionality in our existing C program.

Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

From
Manuel Baena García
Date:

--
Manuel Baena García <mbaena@lcc.uma.es>

Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

From
Manuel Baena García
Date:

Date:

Date:
Manuel Baena Garc�a wrote:
> El mi?, 23-03-2005 a las 17:07 -0500, Bruce Momjian escribi?:
> > Are you saying your script has all the functionality of dbf2pg.c?  It
> > doesn't seem possible.
>
> No, I'm not saying it. By example, my script doesn't connect to a pg db,
> I prefer to use a pipe. My script has the same objective by a different
> way: "do it as simple as you can".

It might be simple to code, but having a second program is not simpler
for end-users.  We have had no one else complain about xbase conversion
so I am not inclined to add a second program, especially since you did
not say what your program fixes that the current one does not.

Can you show us exactly what input causes our current code to fail, and
explain why someone with C knowledge can't fix it?

Re: contrib dbf2sql.pl

From
Manuel Baena García
Date:
Your current code is caused to fail by the next inputs:
- when the data has null number values.

You can probe it with the examples in:
http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/index.shtml.en

Now I have a new version of dbf2sql with some bug fixed:
     - Support MEMO fields.
     - Support Float Point fields.
     - Exclude deleted records.
     - Replace ' with \' in strings.
     - do all inserts in one transaction.

And my script support all examples of above url.

My program fixes that the current one does not.