PITR Phase 1 - partial backport to 7.3.4, 7.3.5

From
"Потеряев И.Е."
Date:
Hi,

I tried to backport Simon Riggs patches for 7.4.x series to 7.3.x
with addition of python implementation of pg_arch.

It can be of interest if you consider to continue using 7.3 series of postgresql.

src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c:  calls to "ereport" was replaced with call to "elog".
src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c :      format of "wal_archive" was converted to 7.3 style
src/bin/Makefile: was removed

Attached patch can be applied to 7.3.4 and 7.3.5

During this week I'll test it in our development enviroment.

Best regards

--
  Igor Poteryaev

Attachment

Re: PITR Phase 1 - partial backport to 7.3.4, 7.3.5

Date:
"=?koi8-r?b?8M/UxdLRxdc=?= =?koi8-r?b?IOku5S4=?=" <poteryaev@kazna.ru> writes:
> I tried to backport Simon Riggs patches for 7.4.x series to 7.3.x
> with addition of python implementation of pg_arch.

> It can be of interest if you consider to continue using 7.3 series of
> postgresql.

Surely you jest.

You are going to take not-yet-alpha-quality code and backport it into
a version that only those desperately concerned with stability are still
running?  Pardon me for failing to get the point.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PITR Phase 1 - partial backport to 7.3.4, 7.3.5

From
"Потеряев И.Е."
Date:
Hi, tom

> > I tried to backport Simon Riggs patches for 7.4.x series to 7.3.x
> > with addition of python implementation of pg_arch.
>
> > It can be of interest if you consider to continue using 7.3 series of
> > postgresql.
>
> Surely you jest.

Nope. We have a reason for it.

> You are going to take not-yet-alpha-quality code and backport it into
> a version that only those desperately concerned with stability are still
> running?  Pardon me for failing to get the point.

We need PITR, but our legacy application can't be upgraded to 7.4 Postgresql version
because of autocommit handling change. So I'll try to follow Simon development of PITR
for 7.5 PITR and backport it to 7.3.

Best regards

--
  Igor Poteryaev

Re: PITR Phase 1 - partial backport to 7.3.4, 7.3.5

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>We need PITR, but our legacy application can't be upgraded to 7.4 Postgresql version
>because of autocommit handling change. So I'll try to follow Simon development of PITR
>for 7.5 PITR and backport it to 7.3.

Why not use replication instead?