move 'Value' node into separate file

From
Neil Conway
Date:
This patch separates the 'Value' and 'List' nodes: now the Value node
has its own interface (i.e. header) and implementation files. This is
just house-keeping, in preparation for the list rewrite.

I renumbered a NodeTag: does that require a catalog version number
bump?

Unless anyone objects, I intend to apply this patch in about 24 hours.

-Neil

Attachment

Re: move 'Value' node into separate file

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> This patch separates the 'Value' and 'List' nodes: now the Value node
> has its own interface (i.e. header) and implementation files. This is
> just house-keeping, in preparation for the list rewrite.

This is just cleanup, right?  Or were you intending that something will
happen to Value in connection with the List changes?  I can't think
what offhand ...

One trivial gripe: you forgot to change the filename in the new value.c
file's header comment.  Looks OK otherwise.

> I renumbered a NodeTag: does that require a catalog version number
> bump?

It does not.  NodeTag numbers appear only in in-memory data structures.

(It does tend to require a backend-wide recompile, but hopefully most
people have learned by now to use --enable-depend or else "make clean"
after every CVS update.)

            regards, tom lane

Date:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> This is just cleanup, right?

Right -- AFAICS, there is no reason for the two nodes to be in the
same file.

> Or were you intending that something will happen to Value in
> connection with the List changes?  I can't think what offhand ...

Neither can I -- ISTM it should remain the same.

Thanks for noting the filename typo, I'll fix that before committing.

-Neil