Re: [NOVICE] connectby(... pos_of_sibling)

Date:
Joe, would you comment on this change to tablefunc connectby?

Nabil Sayegh wrote:
> Am Son, 2003-06-22 um 02.09 schrieb Joe Conway:
>
> > Sounds like all that's needed for your case. But to be complete, in
> > addition to changing tablefunc.c we'd have to:
> > 1) come up with a new function call signature that makes sense and does
> > not cause backward compatibility problems for other people
> > 2) make needed changes to tablefunc.sql.in
> > 3) adjust the README.tablefunc appropriately
> > 4) adjust the regression test for new functionality
> > 5) be sure we don't break any of the old cases
> >
> > If you want to submit a complete patch, it would be gratefully accepted
> > -- for review at least ;-)
>
> Here's the patch, at least for steps 1-3
> I don't know anything about regression tests :(
>
> However, I included a patch against 7.3.3
>
> bye
> --
>  e-Trolley Sayegh & John, Nabil Sayegh
>  Tel.: 0700 etrolley /// 0700 38765539
>  Fax.: +49 69 8299381-8
>  PGP : http://www.e-trolley.de

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

diff -rc postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/README.tablefunc
postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/README.tablefunc
*** postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/README.tablefunc    Sat Nov 23 02:54:23 2002
--- postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/README.tablefunc    Wed Jun 25 19:54:01 2003
***************
*** 60,68 ****
        - requires anonymous composite type syntax in the FROM clause. See
          the instructions in the documentation below.

!     connectby(text relname, text keyid_fld, text parent_keyid_fld,
!                 text start_with, int max_depth [, text branch_delim])
        - returns keyid, parent_keyid, level, and an optional branch string

--- 60,70 ----
        - requires anonymous composite type syntax in the FROM clause. See
          the instructions in the documentation below.

!     connectby(text relname, text keyid_fld, text parent_keyid_fld
!                 [, text orderby_fld], text start_with, int max_depth
!                                 [, text branch_delim])
        - returns keyid, parent_keyid, level, and an optional branch string
+         and an optional serial column for ordering siblings
        - requires anonymous composite type syntax in the FROM clause. See
          the instructions in the documentation below.

***************
*** 333,345 ****
  Name

! connectby(text, text, text, text, int[, text]) - returns a set
      representing a hierarchy (tree structure)

  Synopsis

! connectby(text relname, text keyid_fld, text parent_keyid_fld,
!             text start_with, int max_depth [, text branch_delim])

  Inputs

--- 335,348 ----
  Name

! connectby(text, text, text[, text], text, text, int[, text]) - returns a set
      representing a hierarchy (tree structure)

  Synopsis

! connectby(text relname, text keyid_fld, text parent_keyid_fld
!             [, text orderby_fld], text start_with, int max_depth
!                         [, text branch_delim])

  Inputs

***************
*** 355,360 ****
--- 358,368 ----

      Name of the key_parent field

+   orderby_fld
+
+     If optional ordering of siblings is desired:
+     Name of the field to order siblings
+
    start_with

      root value of the tree input as a text value regardless of keyid_fld type
***************
*** 381,386 ****
--- 389,404 ----

      SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'row2', 0)
        AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int);
+
+         - or -
+
+     SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'pos', 'row2', 0, '~')
+       AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int, branch text, pos int);
+
+         - or -
+
+     SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'pos', 'row2', 0)
+       AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int, pos int);

  Notes

***************
*** 401,422 ****
    5. The parameters representing table and field names must include double
       quotes if the names are mixed-case or contain special characters.

  Example usage

! CREATE TABLE connectby_tree(keyid text, parent_keyid text);

! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row1',NULL);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row2','row1');
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row3','row1');
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row4','row2');
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row5','row2');
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row6','row4');
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row7','row3');
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row8','row6');
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row9','row5');

! -- with branch
  SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'row2', 0, '~')
   AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int, branch text);
   keyid | parent_keyid | level |       branch
--- 419,443 ----
    5. The parameters representing table and field names must include double
       quotes if the names are mixed-case or contain special characters.

+   6. If sorting of siblings is desired, the orderby_fld input parameter *and*
+      a name for the resulting serial field (type INT32) in the query column
+      definition must be given.

  Example usage

! CREATE TABLE connectby_tree(keyid text, parent_keyid text, pos int);

! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row1',NULL, 0);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row2','row1', 0);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row3','row1', 0);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row4','row2', 1);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row5','row2', 0);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row6','row4', 0);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row7','row3', 0);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row8','row6', 0);
! INSERT INTO connectby_tree VALUES('row9','row5', 0);

! -- with branch, without orderby_fld
  SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'row2', 0, '~')
   AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int, branch text);
   keyid | parent_keyid | level |       branch
***************
*** 429,435 ****
   row9  | row5         |     2 | row2~row5~row9
  (6 rows)

! -- without branch
  SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'row2', 0)
   AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int);
   keyid | parent_keyid | level
--- 450,456 ----
   row9  | row5         |     2 | row2~row5~row9
  (6 rows)

! -- without branch, without orderby_fld
  SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'row2', 0)
   AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int);
   keyid | parent_keyid | level
***************
*** 442,447 ****
--- 463,494 ----
   row9  | row5         |     2
  (6 rows)

+ -- with branch, with orderby_fld (notice that row5 comes before row4)
+ SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'pos', 'row2', 0, '~')
+  AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int, branch text, pos int) ORDER BY t.pos;
+  keyid | parent_keyid | level |       branch        | pos
+ -------+--------------+-------+---------------------+-----
+  row2  |              |     0 | row2                |   1
+  row5  | row2         |     1 | row2~row5           |   2
+  row9  | row5         |     2 | row2~row5~row9      |   3
+  row4  | row2         |     1 | row2~row4           |   4
+  row6  | row4         |     2 | row2~row4~row6      |   5
+  row8  | row6         |     3 | row2~row4~row6~row8 |   6
+ (6 rows)
+
+ -- without branch, with orderby_fld (notice that row5 comes before row4)
+ SELECT * FROM connectby('connectby_tree', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'pos', 'row2', 0)
+  AS t(keyid text, parent_keyid text, level int, pos int) ORDER BY t.pos;
+  keyid | parent_keyid | level | pos
+ -------+--------------+-------+-----
+  row2  |              |     0 |   1
+  row5  | row2         |     1 |   2
+  row9  | row5         |     2 |   3
+  row4  | row2         |     1 |   4
+  row6  | row4         |     2 |   5
+  row8  | row6         |     3 |   6
+ (6 rows)
+
  -- Joe Conway

diff -rc postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.c
postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.c
*** postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.c    Fri May 16 08:07:58 2003
--- postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.c    Wed Jun 25 19:58:28 2003
***************
*** 39,45 ****

  #include "tablefunc.h"

! static void validateConnectbyTupleDesc(TupleDesc tupdesc, bool show_branch);
  static bool compatCrosstabTupleDescs(TupleDesc tupdesc1, TupleDesc tupdesc2);
  static bool compatConnectbyTupleDescs(TupleDesc tupdesc1, TupleDesc tupdesc2);
  static void get_normal_pair(float8 *x1, float8 *x2);
--- 39,45 ----

  #include "tablefunc.h"

! static void validateConnectbyTupleDesc(TupleDesc tupdesc, bool show_branch, bool show_serial);
  static bool compatCrosstabTupleDescs(TupleDesc tupdesc1, TupleDesc tupdesc2);
  static bool compatConnectbyTupleDescs(TupleDesc tupdesc1, TupleDesc tupdesc2);
  static void get_normal_pair(float8 *x1, float8 *x2);
***************
*** 48,68 ****
--- 48,73 ----
  static Tuplestorestate *connectby(char *relname,
            char *key_fld,
            char *parent_key_fld,
+             char *orderby_fld,
            char *branch_delim,
            char *start_with,
            int max_depth,
            bool show_branch,
+           bool show_serial,
            MemoryContext per_query_ctx,
            AttInMetadata *attinmeta);
  static Tuplestorestate *build_tuplestore_recursively(char *key_fld,
                               char *parent_key_fld,
                               char *relname,
+                              char *orderby_fld,
                               char *branch_delim,
                               char *start_with,
                               char *branch,
                               int level,
+                              int *serial,
                               int max_depth,
                               bool show_branch,
+                              bool show_serial,
                               MemoryContext per_query_ctx,
                               AttInMetadata *attinmeta,
                               Tuplestorestate *tupstore);
***************
*** 598,628 ****
   *
   * e.g. given table foo:
   *
!  *            keyid    parent_keyid
!  *            ------+--------------
!  *            row1    NULL
!  *            row2    row1
!  *            row3    row1
!  *            row4    row2
!  *            row5    row2
!  *            row6    row4
!  *            row7    row3
!  *            row8    row6
!  *            row9    row5
   *
   *
!  * connectby(text relname, text keyid_fld, text parent_keyid_fld,
!  *                        text start_with, int max_depth [, text branch_delim])
!  * connectby('foo', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'row2', 0, '~') returns:
   *
!  *        keyid    parent_id    level     branch
   *        ------+-----------+--------+-----------------------
!  *        row2    NULL          0          row2
!  *        row4    row2          1          row2~row4
!  *        row6    row4          2          row2~row4~row6
!  *        row8    row6          3          row2~row4~row6~row8
!  *        row5    row2          1          row2~row5
!  *        row9    row5          2          row2~row5~row9
   *
   */
  PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(connectby_text);
--- 603,634 ----
   *
   * e.g. given table foo:
   *
!  *            keyid    parent_keyid pos
!  *            ------+------------+--
!  *            row1    NULL         0
!  *            row2    row1         0
!  *            row3    row1         0
!  *            row4    row2         1
!  *            row5    row2         0
!  *            row6    row4         0
!  *            row7    row3         0
!  *            row8    row6         0
!  *            row9    row5         0
   *
   *
!  * connectby(text relname, text keyid_fld, text parent_keyid_fld
!  *            [, text orderby_fld], text start_with, int max_depth
!  *            [, text branch_delim])
!  * connectby('foo', 'keyid', 'parent_keyid', 'pos', 'row2', 0, '~') returns:
   *
!  *        keyid    parent_id    level     branch             serial
   *        ------+-----------+--------+-----------------------
!  *        row2    NULL          0          row2                1
!  *        row5    row2          1          row2~row5           2
!  *        row9    row5          2          row2~row5~row9      3
!  *        row4    row2          1          row2~row4           4
!  *        row6    row4          2          row2~row4~row6      5
!  *        row8    row6          3          row2~row4~row6~row8 6
   *
   */
  PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(connectby_text);
***************
*** 640,645 ****
--- 646,652 ----
      int            max_depth = PG_GETARG_INT32(4);
      char       *branch_delim = NULL;
      bool        show_branch = false;
+     bool        show_serial = false;
      ReturnSetInfo *rsinfo = (ReturnSetInfo *) fcinfo->resultinfo;
      TupleDesc    tupdesc;
      AttInMetadata *attinmeta;
***************
*** 667,673 ****
      tupdesc = CreateTupleDescCopy(rsinfo->expectedDesc);

      /* does it meet our needs */
!     validateConnectbyTupleDesc(tupdesc, show_branch);

      /* OK, use it then */
      attinmeta = TupleDescGetAttInMetadata(tupdesc);
--- 674,680 ----
      tupdesc = CreateTupleDescCopy(rsinfo->expectedDesc);

      /* does it meet our needs */
!     validateConnectbyTupleDesc(tupdesc, show_branch, show_serial);

      /* OK, use it then */
      attinmeta = TupleDescGetAttInMetadata(tupdesc);
***************
*** 682,691 ****
--- 689,700 ----
      rsinfo->setResult = connectby(relname,
                                    key_fld,
                                    parent_key_fld,
+                                     NULL,
                                    branch_delim,
                                    start_with,
                                    max_depth,
                                    show_branch,
+                                   show_serial,
                                    per_query_ctx,
                                    attinmeta);
      rsinfo->setDesc = tupdesc;
***************
*** 702,707 ****
--- 711,796 ----
      return (Datum) 0;
  }

+ PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(connectby_text_serial);
+
+ Datum
+ connectby_text_serial(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
+ {
+     char       *relname = GET_STR(PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(0));
+     char       *key_fld = GET_STR(PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(1));
+     char       *parent_key_fld = GET_STR(PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(2));
+     char       *orderby_fld = GET_STR(PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(3));
+     char       *start_with = GET_STR(PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(4));
+     int            max_depth = PG_GETARG_INT32(5);
+     char       *branch_delim = NULL;
+     bool        show_branch = false;
+     bool        show_serial = true;
+
+     ReturnSetInfo *rsinfo = (ReturnSetInfo *) fcinfo->resultinfo;
+     TupleDesc    tupdesc;
+     AttInMetadata *attinmeta;
+     MemoryContext per_query_ctx;
+     MemoryContext oldcontext;
+
+     /* check to see if caller supports us returning a tuplestore */
+     if (!rsinfo || !(rsinfo->allowedModes & SFRM_Materialize))
+         elog(ERROR, "connectby: materialize mode required, but it is not "
+              "allowed in this context");
+
+     if (fcinfo->nargs == 7)
+     {
+         branch_delim = GET_STR(PG_GETARG_TEXT_P(6));
+         show_branch = true;
+     }
+     else
+         /* default is no show, tilde for the delimiter */
+         branch_delim = pstrdup("~");
+
+     per_query_ctx = rsinfo->econtext->ecxt_per_query_memory;
+     oldcontext = MemoryContextSwitchTo(per_query_ctx);
+
+     /* get the requested return tuple description */
+     tupdesc = CreateTupleDescCopy(rsinfo->expectedDesc);
+
+     /* does it meet our needs */
+     validateConnectbyTupleDesc(tupdesc, show_branch, show_serial);
+
+     /* OK, use it then */
+     attinmeta = TupleDescGetAttInMetadata(tupdesc);
+
+     /* check to see if caller supports us returning a tuplestore */
+     if (!rsinfo->allowedModes & SFRM_Materialize)
+         elog(ERROR, "connectby requires Materialize mode, but it is not "
+              "allowed in this context");
+
+     /* OK, go to work */
+     rsinfo->returnMode = SFRM_Materialize;
+     rsinfo->setResult = connectby(relname,
+                                   key_fld,
+                                   parent_key_fld,
+                                     orderby_fld,
+                                   branch_delim,
+                                   start_with,
+                                   max_depth,
+                                   show_branch,
+                                   show_serial,
+                                   per_query_ctx,
+                                   attinmeta);
+     rsinfo->setDesc = tupdesc;
+
+     MemoryContextSwitchTo(oldcontext);
+
+     /*
+      * SFRM_Materialize mode expects us to return a NULL Datum. The actual
+      * tuples are in our tuplestore and passed back through
+      * rsinfo->setResult. rsinfo->setDesc is set to the tuple description
+      * that we actually used to build our tuples with, so the caller can
+      * verify we did what it was expecting.
+      */
+     return (Datum) 0;
+ }
+
+
  /*
   * connectby - does the real work for connectby_text()
   */
***************
*** 709,718 ****
--- 798,809 ----
  connectby(char *relname,
            char *key_fld,
            char *parent_key_fld,
+             char *orderby_fld,
            char *branch_delim,
            char *start_with,
            int max_depth,
            bool show_branch,
+             bool show_serial,
            MemoryContext per_query_ctx,
            AttInMetadata *attinmeta)
  {
***************
*** 720,725 ****
--- 811,818 ----
      int            ret;
      MemoryContext oldcontext;

+     int serial = 1;
+
      /* Connect to SPI manager */
      if ((ret = SPI_connect()) < 0)
          elog(ERROR, "connectby: SPI_connect returned %d", ret);
***************
*** 736,747 ****
--- 829,843 ----
      tupstore = build_tuplestore_recursively(key_fld,
                                              parent_key_fld,
                                              relname,
+                                             orderby_fld,
                                              branch_delim,
                                              start_with,
                                              start_with, /* current_branch */
                                              0,    /* initial level is 0 */
+                                             &serial,    /* initial serial is 1 */
                                              max_depth,
                                              show_branch,
+                                             show_serial,
                                              per_query_ctx,
                                              attinmeta,
                                              tupstore);
***************
*** 759,770 ****
--- 855,869 ----
  build_tuplestore_recursively(char *key_fld,
                               char *parent_key_fld,
                               char *relname,
+                              char *orderby_fld,
                               char *branch_delim,
                               char *start_with,
                               char *branch,
                               int level,
+                              int *serial,
                               int max_depth,
                               bool show_branch,
+                              bool show_serial,
                               MemoryContext per_query_ctx,
                               AttInMetadata *attinmeta,
                               Tuplestorestate *tupstore)
***************
*** 774,791 ****
      StringInfo    sql = makeStringInfo();
      int            ret;
      int            proc;

      if (max_depth > 0 && level > max_depth)
          return tupstore;

      /* Build initial sql statement */
!     appendStringInfo(sql, "SELECT %s, %s FROM %s WHERE %s = '%s' AND %s IS NOT NULL",
                       key_fld,
                       parent_key_fld,
                       relname,
                       parent_key_fld,
                       start_with,
                       key_fld);

      /* Retrieve the desired rows */
      ret = SPI_exec(sql->data, 0);
--- 873,907 ----
      StringInfo    sql = makeStringInfo();
      int            ret;
      int            proc;
+     int            serial_column;

      if (max_depth > 0 && level > max_depth)
          return tupstore;

      /* Build initial sql statement */
!     if (!show_serial)
!     {
!         appendStringInfo(sql, "SELECT %s, %s FROM %s WHERE %s = '%s' AND %s IS NOT NULL",
                       key_fld,
                       parent_key_fld,
                       relname,
                       parent_key_fld,
                       start_with,
                       key_fld);
+                      serial_column=0;
+     }
+     else
+     {
+         appendStringInfo(sql, "SELECT %s, %s FROM %s WHERE %s = '%s' AND %s IS NOT NULL ORDER BY %s",
+                      key_fld,
+                      parent_key_fld,
+                      relname,
+                      parent_key_fld,
+                      start_with,
+                      key_fld,
+                      orderby_fld);
+                      serial_column=1;
+     }

      /* Retrieve the desired rows */
      ret = SPI_exec(sql->data, 0);
***************
*** 802,807 ****
--- 918,924 ----
          char       *current_key;
          char       *current_key_parent;
          char        current_level[INT32_STRLEN];
+         char        serial_str[INT32_STRLEN];
          char       *current_branch;
          char      **values;
          StringInfo    branchstr = NULL;
***************
*** 816,824 ****
          chk_current_key = makeStringInfo();

          if (show_branch)
!             values = (char **) palloc(CONNECTBY_NCOLS * sizeof(char *));
          else
!             values = (char **) palloc(CONNECTBY_NCOLS_NOBRANCH * sizeof(char *));

          /* First time through, do a little setup */
          if (level == 0)
--- 933,941 ----
          chk_current_key = makeStringInfo();

          if (show_branch)
!             values = (char **) palloc((CONNECTBY_NCOLS + serial_column) * sizeof(char *));
          else
!             values = (char **) palloc((CONNECTBY_NCOLS_NOBRANCH + serial_column) * sizeof(char *));

          /* First time through, do a little setup */
          if (level == 0)
***************
*** 847,852 ****
--- 964,979 ----
              if (show_branch)
                  values[3] = start_with;

+             /* root starts the serial with 1 */
+             if (show_serial)
+             {
+                 sprintf(serial_str, "%d", (*serial)++);
+                 if (show_branch)
+                     values[4] = serial_str;
+                 else
+                     values[3] = serial_str;
+             }
+
              /* construct the tuple */
              tuple = BuildTupleFromCStrings(attinmeta, values);

***************
*** 894,899 ****
--- 1021,1034 ----
              values[2] = current_level;
              if (show_branch)
                  values[3] = current_branch;
+             if (show_serial)
+             {
+                 sprintf(serial_str, "%d", (*serial)++);
+                 if (show_branch)
+                     values[4] = serial_str;
+                 else
+                     values[3] = serial_str;
+             }

*** 915,926 ****
--- 1050,1064 ----
              tupstore = build_tuplestore_recursively(key_fld,
                                                      parent_key_fld,
                                                      relname,
+                                                     orderby_fld,
                                                      branch_delim,
                                                      values[0],
                                                      current_branch,
                                                      level + 1,
+                                                     serial,
                                                      max_depth,
                                                      show_branch,
+                                                     show_serial,
                                                      per_query_ctx,
                                                      attinmeta,
                                                      tupstore);
***************
*** 944,961 ****
   * Check expected (query runtime) tupdesc suitable for Connectby
   */
  static void
! validateConnectbyTupleDesc(TupleDesc tupdesc, bool show_branch)
  {
      /* are there the correct number of columns */
      if (show_branch)
      {
!         if (tupdesc->natts != CONNECTBY_NCOLS)
              elog(ERROR, "Query-specified return tuple not valid for Connectby: "
                   "wrong number of columns");
      }
      else
      {
!         if (tupdesc->natts != CONNECTBY_NCOLS_NOBRANCH)
--- 1082,1104 ----
   * Check expected (query runtime) tupdesc suitable for Connectby
   */
  static void
! validateConnectbyTupleDesc(TupleDesc tupdesc, bool show_branch, bool show_serial)
  {
+     int serial_column=0;
+
+     if (show_serial)
+         serial_column=1;
+
      /* are there the correct number of columns */
      if (show_branch)
      {
!         if (tupdesc->natts != (CONNECTBY_NCOLS + serial_column))
              elog(ERROR, "Query-specified return tuple not valid for Connectby: "
                   "wrong number of columns");
      }
      else
      {
!         if (tupdesc->natts != CONNECTBY_NCOLS_NOBRANCH + serial_column)
              elog(ERROR, "Query-specified return tuple not valid for Connectby: "
                   "wrong number of columns");
      }
***************
*** 973,980 ****
      /* check that the type of the forth column is TEXT if applicable */
      if (show_branch && tupdesc->attrs[3]->atttypid != TEXTOID)
          elog(ERROR, "Query-specified return tuple not valid for Connectby: "
!              "third column must be type %s", format_type_be(TEXTOID));

      /* OK, the tupdesc is valid for our purposes */
  }

--- 1116,1133 ----
      /* check that the type of the forth column is TEXT if applicable */
      if (show_branch && tupdesc->attrs[3]->atttypid != TEXTOID)
          elog(ERROR, "Query-specified return tuple not valid for Connectby: "
!              "fourth column must be type %s", format_type_be(TEXTOID));

+     /* check that the type of the fifth column is INT4 */
+     if (show_branch && show_serial && tupdesc->attrs[4]->atttypid != INT4OID)
+         elog(ERROR, "Query-specified return tuple not valid for Connectby: "
+              "fifth column must be type %s", format_type_be(INT4OID));
+
+     /* check that the type of the fifth column is INT4 */
+     if (!show_branch && show_serial && tupdesc->attrs[3]->atttypid != INT4OID)
+         elog(ERROR, "Query-specified return tuple not valid for Connectby: "
+              "fourth column must be type %s", format_type_be(INT4OID));
+
      /* OK, the tupdesc is valid for our purposes */
  }

diff -rc postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.h
postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.h
*** postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.h    Wed Sep  4 22:31:08 2002
--- postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.h    Wed Jun 25 03:02:02 2003
***************
*** 35,39 ****
--- 35,40 ----
  extern Datum normal_rand(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
  extern Datum crosstab(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
  extern Datum connectby_text(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
+ extern Datum connectby_text_serial(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);

  #endif   /* TABLEFUNC_H */
diff -rc postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.sql.in
postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.sql.in
*** postgresql-7.3.3/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.sql.in    Fri Oct 18 20:41:21 2002
--- postgresql-7.3.3-tablefunc_connectby_orderby_fld/contrib/tablefunc/tablefunc.sql.in    Wed Jun 25 19:23:38 2003
***************
*** 61,63 ****
--- 61,75 ----
  RETURNS setof record
  AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME','connectby_text'
  LANGUAGE 'C' STABLE STRICT;
+
+ -- These 2 take the name of a field to ORDER BY as 4th arg (for sorting siblings)
+
+ CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION connectby(text,text,text,text,text,int,text)
+ RETURNS setof record
+ AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME','connectby_text_serial'
+ LANGUAGE 'C' STABLE STRICT;
+
+ CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION connectby(text,text,text,text,text,int)
+ RETURNS setof record
+ AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME','connectby_text_serial'
+ LANGUAGE 'C' STABLE STRICT;

Re: [NOVICE] connectby(... pos_of_sibling)

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joe, would you comment on this change to tablefunc connectby?

I actually tied up a few loose ends on this and submitted it to PATCHES
on 6/26/2003. See:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2003-06/msg00357.php

Joe

Re: [NOVICE] connectby(... pos_of_sibling)

Date:
I can not find any patch from that date with your name on it, and I
can't find a patch at all with connectby from you.

Of course, please repost it if you have it (archives are down), but then
again, where has the patch gone?  Why isn't it in my mailbox?