spelling corrections

From
Neil Conway
Date:
This patch fixes a bunch of spelling mistakes in comments throughout the
PostgreSQL source code.

(Produced using Dan Kegel's tools for fixing similar typos in the kernel
source, with some local modifications to the stop list to make checking
PostgreSQL easier. You can find the original tools here:
http://www.kegel.com/kerspell/ )

Cheers,

Neil

Re: spelling corrections

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> This patch fixes a bunch of spelling mistakes in comments throughout the
> PostgreSQL source code.
> (Produced using Dan Kegel's tools for fixing similar typos in the kernel
> source, with some local modifications to the stop list to make checking
> PostgreSQL easier. You can find the original tools here:
> http://www.kegel.com/kerspell/ )

Cool.  How much manual review did you have to do on the tool's output?

            regards, tom lane

Re: spelling corrections

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 12:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> Cool.  How much manual review did you have to do on the tool's output?

A fair bit, but not so much that it wasn't worth doing, IMHO. Some of
that work won't need to be done again (e.g. adding PostgreSQL-specific
words to the stop list), but some of it is inevitable (e.g. the use of
function names in comments -- there are so many of these that adding
them all to the stop list would likely be pointless).

If anyone would like my stop list additions, just let me know.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: spelling corrections

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 12:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Cool.  How much manual review did you have to do on the tool's output?
>
> A fair bit, but not so much that it wasn't worth doing, IMHO. Some of
> that work won't need to be done again (e.g. adding PostgreSQL-specific
> words to the stop list), but some of it is inevitable (e.g. the use of
> function names in comments -- there are so many of these that adding
> them all to the stop list would likely be pointless).

You could dump out the debug symbols and add those to the list.

Re: spelling corrections

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:11:25PM -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 12:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Cool.  How much manual review did you have to do on the tool's output?
>
> A fair bit, but not so much that it wasn't worth doing, IMHO. Some of
> that work won't need to be done again (e.g. adding PostgreSQL-specific
> words to the stop list), but some of it is inevitable (e.g. the use of
> function names in comments -- there are so many of these that adding
> them all to the stop list would likely be pointless).

And if you extract function names from the output of ctags or something
along those lines?

But then one doesn't know how efficient is the algorithm with so big a
stop list...

"La vida es para el que se aventura"

Re: spelling corrections

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> This patch fixes a bunch of spelling mistakes in comments throughout the
> PostgreSQL source code.

I'm going to apply this without the usual review delay because
(a) it's harmless, and (b) it hits enough files that there's risk of
merge problems if it sits in the patch queue.  Doesn't seem worth
incurring merge problems to wait.

            regards, tom lane